The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Safely making chimo/ambil

mac yeah salicina is just one of the ash plants. in Pitjantjatjara country, a type of grevillia is used with gosei, for making ash, in western NSW there is yet a different acacia, there are many different plants used for ash making, i think mulga too has been used for ash in some parts of australia. and if south america you got the chonta palm that is used for ash there as well as other plants, i would like to look up how to make those llipita balls (sp?) the ones they chew coca with.

might make one specific to australia.

torsten, i agree it is a wonderful thing.

I am very interested in the whole ash thing. Apparently there is some traditional use of Lactuca whereby the latex is mixed with ash before use (for the same reason I can only assume), I always tried to find out which plant the ash was made from but could never find a reference. If anyone knows, it might be a good bit of useful info to have - i.e. another non-native plant good for ash.

apoth thats interesting, i have not heard of this but it would be interesting to do some experiments

Good ole thread.

Can anyone suggest a tree that ( good for ashes/ alkaline source) I could grow in a cool climate?

Thanks