The Corroboree
nabraxas

old man's beard (Clematis vitalba)

just got the DPI fact sheet in the mail.

Old man’s beard is a serious weed in several countries around the world and has already naturalised in parts of Australia. In New Zealand, this species is a serious environmental threat and could become an equally devastating weed of similar climatic regions of Australia (Richardson et al 2006). Old man’s beard forms dense, blanket-like mats, smothering everything in its path. The thick mats can be several metres deep and when supported can reach canopies of more than 30 metres. This dense cover prevents establishment and survival of the native vegetation underneath the weed. Control of old man’s beard is complex for it produces large amounts of seed and can reproduce vegetatively from stem fragments or stems tips. The ability of old man’s beard to rapidly take over large areas is an incentive for the Weed Spotter network to remain on high alert for this species.....

Old man’s beard is a weed with devastating potential for growth, competition and destruction. Its preferred habitats are forest edges and stream-side areas, both of which are already under attack from other destructive forces. Old man’s beard climbs over everything in its path and can reach the canopy of

even the tallest forests. The massive weight of the vines can drag trees down to the forest floor, reducing a forest to fallen logs and stumps. C. vitalba can alter habitat structure, reduce the diversity of understorey species, impact on animal movement and adversely affect the visual attractiveness of infested areas. Old man’s beard may contribute to increased levels of soil erosion and increased flood damage in riparian areas. In New Zealand old man’s beard is a major problem in production foresty. The vines of old man’s beard may also act as a ladder for fire, helping flames

reach the canopy and creating higher intensity fire events....

C. vitalba is poisonous to humans if eaten and is capable of causing severe swelling, blisters and sores if any skin contact is made with the plant...

Old man’s beard is considered a high risk for Victoria due to its invasive potential, its persistence once established and its ability to degrade natural areas. Old man’s beard has proved to be a devastating menace worldwide, especially in New Zealand. Victoria’s cool climate regions are ideal for an invasion of old man’s beard

makes it all sound pretty bad, but then i read:

Clematis vitalba is not declared as a noxious weed in any Australian state or territory...

Clematis vitalba plants and seed are permitted entry into Australia, subject to certain conditions.

Thinking about all the plants we can't grow it seems crazy that this stuff(& others like it) are still allowed to be grown.

Edited by nabraxas

Many years ago in Oregon, some people were actually smoking it. The rush was supposedly quite nice, but after 3 or 4 tokes you got a headache. I determined this plant lacked a good reason for me to try it, so I didn't. I have no regrets over declining to try this plant as an intoxicant, despite the fact that those who did seemed to suffer no adverse long-term effects.

It grows in abundance here, and makes some places look like the bayou country of Louisiana, with long, grey strands hanging from the trees.

Edited by friendly

Many years ago in Oregon, some people were actually smoking it. The rush was supposedly quite nice, but after 3 or 4 tokes you got a headache.

Any 1 got more info on this? alkaloid profile etc, i know it was once used for packaging. maybe thats how it became so noxious

Wow, I have one of these growing in the glasshouse, I had no idea it could be a weed, my one is growing ridiculously slowly.

Also, woo first post :lol:

oh cool, i got heaps of that stuff growing over my other house, will look awesome over the front balcony, so might grab some and add it to my garden.

Wow, I have one of these growing in the glasshouse, I had no idea it could be a weed, my one is growing ridiculously slowly.

My thoughts exactly !

This stuff have been growing for a long time and it hasn't spread or anything ?

Guess over a huge period of time it could do some damage though.

Yeah and I suppose birds that take it for their nests would help it spread pretty quickly. I never knew it was psychoactive though, if I could find out any more info on this I could perhaps snip off a bit of mine to try :wink: