The Corroboree
kapitän kamasutra

Do you know about Trichocereus boliviensis?

The vendor i was considering buying seeds from has Trichocereus boliviensis seeds in stock. I tryed to find out what this plants look like, but I coudn't find any information about them on the net. Do anyone has information about that species, know what they look like, mabe even own one and has photos?

The name boliviensis makes me want to have one, would be great next to my other bolivian Trichocereus so I probably buy some seeds anyway, but I will not if you show me pictures of it and it is ugly...

Thanks for your help!

Edited by spined
  • Like 1

There is great confusion because of this plant. I try to look it up but i cant promise anything. I already checked lots of books but did not find a single pic nor a description. Nevertheless i have some more pics i havenet checked yet. Maybe it´s in Ritters KAKTEEN IN SÜDAMERIKA or in Werdermann´s Book. Problem is that i dont find articles about Trichocereus boliviensis but about Echinopsis Boliviensis. Which is Echinopsis Pentlandii (Salm-Dyck ex A. Dietrich 1846/Andes, southern Peru, northern Bolivia). Which is LOBIVIA Pentlandii. post-1140-1256312093_thumb.jpg (The pic is from google).Which is also called Lobivia Boliviensis(Britton & Rose 1922). But there is also a Lobivia Boliviensis (Werdermann) from 1938. And i have absolutely no Idea wheter they are the same or not. bye Eg

post-1140-1256312093_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1256312093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

i have some growing from koehres seed, it looks more or less bridgesii like than anything else i find. but mine are still small.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it's just an unknown plant collected in Bolivia. Given that Bridgesii is Bolivian, no surprises if it looks like bridge.. heh.

Thanks for your input! So I will get me some seeds and start them soon. I was actually hoping it would be bridgesii-like, showing some traits standard bridges don't have. But the Lobivia pentlandii that Evil Genius posted looks very cool and worth growing as well, and even if T. boliviensis is just a standart bridgesii, I will grow it to have some more of them.

Edited by spined
  • Like 2

ya grow them. but please be clear i didnt say they are like bridgesii, i just mean they look relatively similar, nothing more :)

I grow them too but they are way too young to tell yet. Kada, i´d love to see pics of yours when they are mature. bye Eg

i'll try and get some this weekend...i have no time in the day and at night the pics are a pain :) not mature, but pics are always good....you should post yours as well.

I remember seeing seeds of T.boliviensis being offered in the catalog of a major cactus seed supplier in Australia some years back. I've always been fascinated and mystified by what it could refer to as I couldn't find any further information on this species. To be just a synonym for T. bridgesii as much as I like that species, I would find a little disappointing.

Hopefully we can get some more data on this entity.

I bet it's just Trichocereus bridgesii, or a strain of Trichocereus bridgesii.

. :unsure:

Edited by blowng

T. boliviensis is certainly not a Lobivia. that link doesn't link to anything like them. cacti guide doesn't have T. boliviensis. they tend to follow cactus family and cactus lexicon, but mostly andersons.

maybe ms or trout can chime in on this. i have not seen much info on this species other than price lists.....

I've seen plants like that pictured below go by both T. macrogonus and T. boliviensis. This one was passed on to me as T. macrogonus CC757, but I've grown T. macrogonus from a couple other sources that was quite identical. Early in the 1990 a lot of the T. macrogonus seed turned out looking like this. It doesn't quite fit T. terscheckii all the way, nor does it fit T. tacaquirensis (T. taquimbalensis) all the way, but seems to have some features of both. I've often wondered if their were natural intermediaries of the two species and some of the photos I've seen might support this.

820339709_7814c4c9b3_o.jpg

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 1

ya, my plants look more or less bridgesii like...but i should also mention only 3 seeds germinated from this one source....so the variation pool is REALLY SMALL!

Wow, Mr Smith this is a very beautiful plant reminding me of terscheckii/wendermanianus Trichocereus cluster

the fatty and tall trichocerei are somehow the most intriguing to me and they're certainly very beautiful

• Like 1

Any updates on your remaining plant kada?

still going. I beheaded it to make a new graft, so now the stump is sitting and chilling, waiting for a new pup. I have a big raised bed i am moving it to once i finish sifting a couple tons of sand. looks same as pic above, just a tad larger (prior to being cut).

anyone else have pics of theirs?

I tried grafting some of mine in order to get more plants going...what a fuck up that was. anyway, i now have 3 plants....the stup left on teh graft which just this spring started a new pup. and 2 stumps which failed to take on the graft and are sitting...one is pupping, but neither have roots yet....lol. still looks bridgesii to me.

some pics from a few months back. i will try adn get a recent pic this weekend, i have not even seen the plant since July.

med_gallery_3354_3_32582.jpg

med_gallery_3354_3_14777.jpg

med_gallery_3354_3_26315.jpg

med_gallery_3354_3_23181.jpg

med_gallery_3354_3_865.jpg

med_gallery_3354_3_10156.jpg

• Like 1

Kada, strange how the spines bend so prominently. Don't see that very often in T. bridgesii.

~Michael~

• Like 1

It reminds me very much of a TBM pup.

here's some cuties from koehres labelled boliviensis, last winter/spring sowingspost-14443-0-42086300-1418466820_thumb.j

definitely don't regret choosing these now , definitely some of the prettiest seedlings i ever saw..

I'm glad koehres doesnt have ridiculous minimum spend prices of 200 bucks eh ;)

DSC00092 (9).JPG

DSC00092 (9).JPG

Edited by ☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ
  • Like 1