The Corroboree
snotbubble

Another ID thanks

Question

Found some great cacti in a local yard.

Stopped in for a chat with the 70+ yr old lady who gladly furnished me with a couple of pups off one I liked the look of.

New spines are deep red wine/purple in colour (as is the growing tip) and once woody are VERY long, strong and nasty.

Here are some pics of one of the pups

unknownside.jpg

unknowntop.jpg

And here's a pic of the mother plant

mother.jpg

Got no idea what it is but I love it !

Any idea's ??

Edited by flaminghedgehog

6 answers to this question

Looks like Myrtillocactus geometrizans

Edited by ballzac

Looks like Myrtillocactus geometrizans

^^^

They are one of my favorite cacti also, they just look so cool - plus they flower prolifically with a small white flower from every aerole. If you get a few of them together they will pollinate and produce potentially 1000's of little cacti blueberries that are very much edible, and apparently very good for you. A very cool cactus!

I agree this is most definitely a Myrtillocactus but I don't believe this is a Geometrizans.

Looks more like Myrtillocactus Schenckii

Myrtillocactus for sure

M eichlamii (eislami) spelling maybe ? but thats just a stab in the dark, I have not seen one in person & cant find much info on them

Myrtillocactus geometrizans var. cochal, Cereus geometrizans var. cochal, Cereus cochal

Family

i only have a few small Myrtillocactus geometrizans but the new growth dose look like my small plants & im only going from the id tag from the nursery where i got them

Strangley one of my young Myrtillocactus is already pupping from the top 3 aeroles i picked them up from a Big W nursery for 3 bucks each if anyone is after grafting stock you should find some in your local nursery

Myrtillocactus eichlamii

myrt_eichlamii.jpg

Now im just confuzzling myslef more, ill shut up now

Edited by mac

Thanks guys I appreciate your help !

Looks like an exact match for my Myrtillocactus cochal, It seems to be self sterile.

The fruit are very yummi & sweet but i dont know about tasting of blue berries, sort of a flavor all their own.