The Corroboree
t st tantra

calea for pain relief........?

the menthol thing encouraged me to try smoking 2 very large calea leaves in tobacco when i was experiencing leg cramps at about 3 on a 10point pain scale.

i was not at baseline i must admit but i was in pain!

relief was very quick and played out through a few developments.

most important was an increase in relief when attention was mentally directed to the pain site.

relief was continuous for a few hour but its effectiveness was a bit variable,reinstated by attention.

at times highly visual and euphoric .i assume the effects might be different due to the pain?

i was a bit affected and not fully functional for a while ,most unusual for calea.

that night i experienced bad myclonus[leg/body jerky jumps and twists] but with none of the usual rls effects....odd....

so i'm asking for some second opinion bioassays from pain sufferers,please.......

tradition use for stomach problems.i will try as a tea very soon.

t s t .

i've used calea over a hundred times though never in pain and looking for relief.

this was the first time i had euphoria or was functionally effected.in fact i have often taken it to clear my head and improve functionality!

Edited by t st tantra

Would a tea then shafted (not while still hot obviously...) work? I don't want to try it if you think the absorption isn't going to work that way.

great to see shelving alive and well in the community : )

:P I know it's kinda gay ( :slap: ) but I have a hard time swallowing things that taste gross. And the first time I had Calea I shoved a handful of leaves in my mouth for a quid. Quite obviously I had no idea about the Calea's rating as one of the most bitter things in the plant kingdom. And I don't even like smoking that much.

Heimia s. was found to have a much more potent analgesic effect than asprin according to a study published years ago in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology. I successfully used a reduced (to a hard tarry ball) sun tea extract of Heimia myticifolia to combat splitting migraines from caffeine withdrawal years ago.

i know a few women who say heimia works for period pains.

have tried calea a few more times using various plants and various plant parts.

the biggest leaves seem to have worked best.have had at least 50% pain relief each time.

t s t .

I would be happy to bioassay some calea for my back & leg pain from my sciatic, im glad to say i have not taken any capadex or any other pain killers for around a month (besides standard neurofin & some fenac every once & a while when needed)

I have a referral to see a orthopedic surgeon about my other leg patella (knee) :rolleyes:, from a compound fracture a few years ago but i have to wait until he comes up from Adelaide so any herb that will help until i can get in for a arthroscope

Can anyone suggest a good place where I Can purchase some fresh calea ?

Edited by mac

There are some really interesting threads here on Calea from ages ago..I think I posted an exp. report for pain as well..(this is what Benzo's do to your memory:rolleyes:)

..actually I did! I made a 5 times alc. extract using home-made slivovic! and it was fantastic.

Another one was adding a little saffron..2-3 strands to a standard virginian rolly and the same phenomena as tantra described occurred,except it was neck pain in that circumstance...I remember clearly now T being interested too.

Either way I have had similar results to tantra,but I find that tobacco seems to potentiate for some reason.Anyone else agree?

I'm really happy to see some of the "lesser" psycho-actives coming back to the surface,esp. for those who are sensitive types.As we've seen so far,some plants/parts have been for the majority overlooked or not considered "strong enough",luckily this leads to extracts and different preparation teks for those who consider themselves "hard-heads" or whatever.

IMHO the missing part/s are what I've coined "latent intent",same goes for Ormus.This is THE integral part of any Alchemical process and it is your intent that gives the instructions to the preparation.

I still say that what Andrew grows is the BOMB!

I think PH and tantra may have the same strain,nice purple and green/gold leaves and an almost hospital smell, turpentine type flavour upon smoking.

Oh and as for Heimia,I really think it doesn't deliver the goods after consuming alcohol(meant to add that to the Heimia thread)

Edited by mescalito

assume you mean saffron not safrol ?

t s t .

Ummm yeah my bad,sorry saffron,sargol from SAB.

fixed!

the menthol thing encouraged me to try smoking 2 very large calea leaves in tobacco when i was experiencing leg cramps at about 3 on a 10point pain scale.

i was not at baseline i must admit but i was in pain!

relief was very quick and played out through a few developments.

most important was an increase in relief when attention was mentally directed to the pain site.

relief was continuous for a few hour but its effectiveness was a bit variable,reinstated by attention.

at times highly visual and euphoric .i assume the effects might be different due to the pain?

i was a bit affected and not fully functional for a while ,most unusual for calea.

that night i experienced bad myclonus[leg/body jerky jumps and twists] but with none of the usual rls effects....odd....

so i'm asking for some second opinion bioassays from pain sufferers,please.......

tradition use for stomach problems.i will try as a tea very soon.

t s t .

i've used calea over a hundred times though never in pain and looking for relief.

this was the first time i had euphoria or was functionally effected.in fact i have often taken it to clear my head and improve functionality!

Off track a little but if your in pain as I am always you should try a product called 'Pain Away" available from your local chemist. I am skeptical when it comes to pain relief and have tried numerous products with little success. I have only been using this for 6 days, sprayed on and rubbed in 5 times a day and I have noticed remarkable improvement in both my arms and in my two ruptured disc's in my back.

It contains-

Arnica Montana Flower

Rosemary Oil

Emu Oil and Ethanol.

Doesn't sound like much in it but I reckon it is working. All the Rugby league players are now using it to get back on the field quicker after injury. Yesterday I could carry and pour a full 9 litre watering can in my left hand. Haven't been able to do that for ages because of Carpo Tunnel in both elbows and shoulders. Up until yesterday I haven't been able to make a fist with my left hand so I am amazed.

Hope it helps....

Hutch :wink:

Interesting thoughts in the original post tantra.

Several species of Calea seem to contain sesquiterpene lactones (same class of lactones as found in kava) and there is reported use as anti-inflammatory:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...fe2af8f9e497274

(Click above to obtain full text PDF)

Sesquiterpene lactones of Calea zacatechichi and C. urticifolia*1

Werner Herz and Narendra Kumar

Department of Chemistry, The Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306, U.S.A.

Calea zacatechichi yielded the sesquiterpene lactone zexbrevin and a new analog, several analogs of neurolenin B including calein A, two analogs of budlein A and the flavones acacetin and O-methylacacetin. Calea urticifolia contained additional analogs of neurolenin B as well as a series of epoxidation products. Structures were established by spectrometric techniques. The results are contrasted with previous findings.

These have obviously not been tested directly for analgesia yet!

But check out this paper also:

http://www.medicine.nevada.edu/wps/wpsjour...mmatoryActi.pdf

Antiinflammatory Activity of the Aqueous Extract of Calea zacatechichi

H. VENEGAS-FLORES, D. SEGURA-COBOS & B. VÁZQUEZ-CRUZ*

Laboratorio de Farmacología, División de Investigación y Postgrado Facultad de Estudios Superiores Iztacala, Universidad Nacional Autónoma

de México, Avenida de los Barrios s/n, Los Reyes Iztacala, Tlalnepantla, México C.P. 54090, México

The inflammatory process involves many biochemical

pathways and a variety of mediators [1-5]. Anti-

inflammatory drugs presently available for the treatment

of various inflammatory disorders, have one or more ad-

verse and undesirable side-effects [5,6]. In recent years,

active principles of varied chemical structures have been

isolated from plants possessing anti-inflammatory activ-

ity. Calea zacatechichi Schlecht (Compositae/Asteraceae)

grows in fields in southern Mexican and several other

countries. It is used in the folk medicine of Mexico for

many medical purposes, especially as treatment of various

inflammatory diseases: rheumatism, edema and respira-

tory pathway disorders. Different parts of the plant have

been administered when the extremities are cold during

fever and for pains in the legs and arms [7]. We only

found a single reference related to anti-inflammatory ef-

fects for this plant [8]. Therefore, the aim of this study

was to evaluate whether the aqueous extract of Calea

zacatechichi showed anti-inflammatory activity.

Statistical analysis. Significancy of the differences was assessed

by Student’s t-test for unpaired samples and values of p

considered significant.

As usual tantra, you seem to be beating the science by a few years, so we will have to wait for the paper to confirm your findings :P

EDIT: To add links.

Edited by apothecary

As usual tantra, you seem to be beating the science by a few years, so we will have to wait for the paper to confirm your findings :P

EDIT: To add links.

Anyone who's been around for long enough would agree :wink: