The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
bloodbob

Any info on Croton spp. being used as a hullicogen.

Seeing as many speices has Neoclerodane diterpenoids similar to those found in salvia spp and teucrium spp.

The only mention I can find in 68 species (other than poisonous) listed in the CRC Ethnobotany Desk Reference( Timothy Johnson, CRC Press 1998, ISBN 0-8493-1187-X) is for one species in India, C. oblongfolius, used as an antidote for crocodile bite, for cholera, as a laxative, for convulsions, diarrhea, dog bites, dysentery, epididymitis, epilepsy, fever, halitosis, headache, hydroceles, jaundice, madness, neuralgia, pleurisy, rabies and snake bite.

Sounds like a pretty dangerous medicine to me.

Herbs used to cure extreme conditions often produce extreme conditions of their own.

It being of the family Euphorbiaceae, I would be cautious of most any plant from this genus.

An antidote for crocodile bite

"OK now we'll just smear some where your

....ARM USED TO BE!!"

:D :D :D

lol,

instant croton clonig cream.

under some circumstances multiple applications are required!

I have a south american Croton sp. listed in my psychoactive database, but no reference for it. It's an old entry, so likely from one of the pre 1998 books I have. No further info.

If found the reference to the diterpenoids from a old CRC manual on the pages around salarvin ( so they had similar structures which would confirmed visually ) I might go to look up the specific spieces next time I'm in the libary.

There is a Croton species that contains a weird morphine relative called flavanantine.

There is one used as a wound dressing in Mexico, the Dragons Blood Croton.

Wow, I never new Croton was part of the Euphorbiacae. I always had a feeling that it would be useful for SOMETHING, but I never knew what it was. I did a bit of a search and found recent articles about the anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and anti-bacterial effects of various species. Most articles however, were about the identification of its compounds. I think its early days for anything else yet.

Jon

from tcm &pharmacology, medicinal herbs by geng junying et al.

croton seed (badou) the ripe seeds are gathered in autumn, dried in the sun and ground into powder.properties & taste: pungent and very toxic.

meridians: stomach and large intestine. functions: !. to drain accumulated cold downward; to transform water and reduce edema; 3. to resolve phlegm and benefit throat...

dosage it gives 0.1g- 0.3g.

...check the tcm link i once posted, about more info...

Crocodile bite AND halitosis. What a combination.

I have a feeling it is used as an antiseptic to apply to the wound to keep it from getting infected, although it might be used to staunch the wound itself.

The halitosis reference inclines me towards the antisepsis conjecture.

just read the thread title... what's a "hullicogen" ?

hullicogen umm its like a Hallucinogen but won't get picked up by the government scanners which are out to get me and my precious ... my precious.

LOL :)