The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Serpent

Spore collection from old (dried) mushrooms

I thought I would post this as I had some success with my method so I thought I would share.

After loosing all my spore prints moving, I was a bit bummed as they are kind of hard to come buy these days plus I really liked my variety :wink: But I though why not try to get some spores from some old mushrooms I had lying around.

Out of a total of 8 250ml rice/verm jars, 3 survived with healthy growth which was what I was expecting. I had 3 mushrooms to play around with, the mushroom were quite mature and the caps had a load of dumped spores on them, i used two approaches to get the spores.

#1 Using an exatco knife I scraped the top layer of the mushroom cap into a small tray, were I mixed it with water and drew up into a syringe ready for inoculation.

#2 Using water already in a syringe with a needle (drawing up needles make this much easier), I injected the water into and between the muchrooms gills slightly agitating as I injected, make sure you catch the water ha

Method two not surprising gave a better chance of survival, one of the jars using this method developed some black mold but was overtaken by the mycelium, but is still under close watch :Phehe

I will assume you know to sterilize everything that comes close to the mushrooms!

J

Edited by Serpent

Quite surprising it worked without having to isolate on agar, thats some good luck. Does Oz have a lottery? :lol:

Over on the shroomery RogerRabbit claims success in cloning from dried fruit body tissue even saying dried tissue can be sanitized with 1/10th strength bleach. I have a jar of dried shiitake slices I may try it with if I get bored, tho I'll go straight onto agar without attempting jars until I isolate uncontaminated mycelium lol

Only live mushrooms sold here are portabellos :(

Edited by Auxin

Another technique that works extremely well is to use gill fragments. Better results than using spores a lot of the time.

Agar work is usually the safer way to go regardless of starting material, though I have heard of some surprising results going straight to grain with popcorn probably being more contamn resistant.