The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

A hobby I never knew existed.

We had one at my primary school (it wasn't a normal school). One time we set it off and it just got smaller and smaller against the clear blue sky until we couldn't see it anymore. It never came back. Presumably when it got to a certain height it got taken sideways by air currents. The engine we were using was rated to go about 20 000 (EDIT:actually I think it was 11000) ft if I recall correctly. I never had one of the launchers or the rockets, but I used to buy the engines and strap fins to them and shoot them at fences and stuff. One time I pointed one out my bedroom window and when I set it off it got stuck on the electric chord and came back in the window before bouncing off the walls a few times and landing on the carpet and burning a hole. The room was so thick with smoke that I couldn't see my hand six inches in front of my face. Needless to say, my Dad wasn't too happy with me that day.

Edited by ballzac

rockets r cheap at most hobbie shops for like 80 buck with launch pad, motors and electronic ignition/launch. cheAPER ONES R AVAIL, BUT U NEED THE LAUNCHER, MOTORS, FUSES ,ETC

PEACE, F'N CAPS LOCK,

Imagine what you could do horizontally!!!!! :uzi: Deadly in the wrong hands.

Now Mr terr orist, don't you get any naughty ideas (I will keep this word separated as I am pretty sure a certain guv agency has big red flags that go up with this word, paranoid I know :lol: but hey :unsure: ) :lol:

Wonder what the range would be?

Hutch :wink:

The link doesn't work for me.

It's funny what is legal and what isn't though. lol it really is the more I think about it... roflmao.

Rough estimate, one that can reach 3km height would probably cover about 6km of horizontal distance if launched from a 45 degree angle. You could get much more out of it if you modified the aerodynamics for horizontal flight. Not sure how useful it would be as a weapon though. Some kind of control and tracking would be required to accurately hit a target from that distance, and they couldn't carry much of a load. But yeah, attach a hunting arrow tip, and you would have a very deadly close range weapon...perhaps.

Edited by ballzac

The link doesn't work for me.

It's funny what is legal and what isn't though. lol it really is the more I think about it... roflmao.

Hi meanies, the link works fine for me, maybe try clearing cache and cookies in your browser, that might make a difference.

http://www.suburbanrocketry.com/Getting-st...d-n-Videos.html

Peace

Not much of a weapon really for terrorists, unless the building they wanted to take out was a lil' mini one too.

However the thought of some terrorsit filling say, ten with some really potent psycadelic, then releasing it over a major town center horrifies me to the core.

However the thought of some terrorsit filling say, ten with some really potent psycadelic, then releasing it over a major town center horrifies me to the core.

Don't give anyone ideas :slap::lol:

Now Mr terr orist, don't you get any naughty ideas (I will keep this word separated as I am pretty sure a certain guv agency has big red flags that go up with this word, paranoid I know :lol: but hey :unsure: ) :lol:

Its people like you that fuck fun things like this up for the people that actually enjoy this sort of thing the way it was intended to be.

I've been making model rockets since I was 16. Got into the estes rockets then and progressed onto making my own engines from KNO3 and various other chems. Its a lot of fun, especially if your into your sciences :)

A heap of fun especially if you have a youngun to teach the finer points to. Bit more expensive now days though.

Its people like you that fuck fun things like this up for the people that actually enjoy this sort of thing the way it was intended to be.

easy captain, no need for that crap simply over a difference in ideals.

i sued to amke them. peice of pvc tube some kno3 S and charcoal mix em and ram in the tube that first had kitty liter rammed in it. than some more kitty liter in top and bam there a rocket.

Kno3 and dextrose melted togtehr worked well expcet for the hydroscpoticty..

I've been making model rockets since I was 16. Got into the estes rockets then and progressed onto making my own engines from KNO3 and various other chems. Its a lot of fun, especially if your into your sciences :)

A heap of fun especially if you have a youngun to teach the finer points to. Bit more expensive now days though.

Whoa there Harry and back ya little fucken big wagon back the fuck off. Fuck it up for ya, what a FOOL!!!!!

^^^^ Yeah c'mon man , fire your rocket sideways for once

Oh yeah my bad, got a lil excited over nothing didn't I.

I mean what could possibly go wrong firing a rocket off sideways in a heat wave after no decent rain for months and plenty of tinder dry combustable material about.

Sure Hutch, I understand that you weren't suggesting someone actually attempt this but suggestion of the idea itself can be just as dangerous.

In answer to you question though, the damage done by a hobby rocket impacting an object is relative to the objects composition. Model rockets are made from mostly light weight materials such as cardboard, balsa and thin plastics. The nose cone will be the most lethal, not only because its the tip of the rocket but also because its the strongest material used in the rocket, usually hollow plastic. It will transfer more energy from the impact to the target as it deforms than any other material in the rocket until the engine mass slams into the base of the nose cone that is.

A model rocket wouldn't travel very far horizontally as gravity would pull the nose down over a fairly short distance. You would need an active guidance system to keep the nose horizontal. The aerodynamics of a model rocket are designed around the prefix that gravity is at its base and the engine delivers thrust along that vector in opposition to gravity. That said there isn't really any other aerodynamic design that will achieve horizontal flight as the rocket is either violently accelerating while the engine is in operation or gradually bleeding energy when the engine cuts out, so the lift value required to maintain horizontal flight is constantly changing which a fixed aerodynamic shape can never achieve. An active guidance system is the only way to achieve an actual horizontal flight path.

I mean what could possibly go wrong firing a rocket off sideways in a heat wave after no decent rain for months and plenty of tinder dry combustable material about.

You've been firing rockets off vertically in those kind of conditions? That seems kinda dumb to me.

Oh yeah my bad, got a lil excited over nothing didn't I.

Sure Hutch, I understand that you weren't suggesting someone actually attempt this but suggestion of the idea itself can be just as dangerous.

In answer to you question though, the damage done by a hobby rocket impacting an object is relative to the objects composition. Model rockets are made from mostly light weight materials such as cardboard, balsa and thin plastics. The nose cone will be the most lethal, not only because its the tip of the rocket but also because its the strongest material used in the rocket, usually hollow plastic. It will transfer more energy from the impact to the target as it deforms than any other material in the rocket until the engine mass slams into the base of the nose cone that is.

A model rocket wouldn't travel very far horizontally as gravity would pull the nose down over a fairly short distance. You would need an active guidance system to keep the nose horizontal. The aerodynamics of a model rocket are designed around the prefix that gravity is at its base and the engine delivers thrust along that vector in opposition to gravity. That said there isn't really any other aerodynamic design that will achieve horizontal flight as the rocket is either violently accelerating while the engine is in operation or gradually bleeding energy when the engine cuts out, so the lift value required to maintain horizontal flight is constantly changing which a fixed aerodynamic shape can never achieve. An active guidance system is the only way to achieve an actual horizontal flight path.

Yeah, you bad. Your response unfortunately has left me with my first impression of you intact "FOOL"

can we give harry a break now? all he did was point out that firing a rocket horizontally is retarded, and even though he might have had more tact he was right.

i would want my rocket leaving a purple vapour trail, personally.

can we give harry a break now? all he did was point out that firing a rocket horizontally is retarded, and even though he might have had more tact he was right.

i would want my rocket leaving a purple vapour trail, personally.

I'm done!!!!