The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tarenna

Caapi flowering in Northern NSW

I was recently chatting with one of the kind gents at SAB Nursery and mentioned about flowering and fruiting in B. caapi in Northern NSW. He mentioned that he was unaware of it ever having happened. Has anyone ever seen or heard of this happening?

No idea sorry but if it has happened (which I wouldn't doubt given the climate) I am just soooo jealous as there's no chance at all of it happening down here. :BANGHEAD2:

No idea sorry but if it has happened (which I wouldn't doubt given the climate) I am just soooo jealous as there's no chance at all of it happening down here. :BANGHEAD2:

I have just found three flowers on a 4.5 year old plant - it is in a highly "tropical" site, 4m above sea level, frost free, basalt derived alluvium (at the very southern edge of the Mt Warning lava flows) and planted at the edge of replanted subtropical rainforest of approximately 12 years of age. When it was first planted it was exceptionally slow, so I used to wee on it most days, mulch it and give it all the love and attention I could muster. I have not done anything to it in the last 2.5 years as they have been exceptionally wet and the plant has grown rapidly to be a monster. Today many of its lead tendrils are between 30 and 40m and it has just thrown out its first flowers. Will get some shots up when I can access a camera on Tuesday...

yes, our caapi has been flowering for a few years. I think it's around about now actually. will need to have a look.

no, no seed around here it seems.

I'm in zone 9 and 2 of my outdoor caapi have been flowering and setting seed the last 2 years. They are about 7 or so years old, one might be 8. They've been through a few freezes and lose a little foliage but bounce right back. I still have some seedlings from last crop of seeds. I'm watching every day for signs of flowering but it'll probably not be until next month. We are at the end of summer going into fall soon.

I tossed out a few pounds of caapi cuttings today because one of them was trying to take over everything. They'll do that if given the chance. My other plants like to grow too.