The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eexpee

Smoking Morning Glory Flowers

Some say it gives you a narcotic-like high, or even a 'toxic' feeling. Does anyone know anything about this? Experiences with such methods? I am not willing to try this ATM as I am on SSRI's and want to avoid any possibly dangerous combinations, but would also see what others have to say. I did UTFSE but couldn't find anything specific, or maybe I didn't look hard enough. Either way, this is a specific thread aimed at this method of ingestion as I know most MG's in Australia don't seed.

Tim

"Either way, this is a specific thread aimed at this method of ingestion as I know most MG's in Australia don't seed."

Most set seed readily actualy, just Ipomea purprurea (from memory) that does'nt.

have munched a few flowers but did'nt feel anything.

Edited by shruman

I cant say from personal experience but When i was just a kid we heard some growns coming from the bush where we lived ,

Anyhow dad went to investigate & found some homless guy who had been chowing down on morning glory flowers, he was just laying in the bush making the odd groan or grunt but couldnt get any scence from him

Last thing i remember was the ambulance driver said he had eaten too much & they would take him to hossy & keep him under observation

Hmm, poor guy. A friend said they give an odd high for a while, but he says it makes him feel angry and the day after he feels as if he's been binging on chems. But I don't know how reliable this guy is which is why I ask. He actually told me this a while ago, it just came to memory now I guess.

About them setting seed, I don't know where bouts you see your morning glory, but the ones that grow as weeds EVERYWHERE I have looked don't seed at all. Some lady told me this also in the nursery. She said they grew from cuttings people threw into the bush.

The wild ones I am seeing could well be Ipomea purpurea, but I could have sworn they were heavenly blue...?

Anyway, in relation to smoking I am more interested in. That homeless guy sounds like he could have had some gastro problems from the flowers, either that or he was just out of it, which is a good thing I guess...

Why do I suspect the flowers might be cyanide-poisons toxic? And what would smoked cyanide-substances results be?

I remember having read that several parts of MGs carry, among other things incl. cyanide shit psychedelic LSAs but in trace non-active amounts. Some people have wondered if it would be purposeful to perform large scale extraction in green parts... but I haven't read about someone who actually did it...

PS: Sorry about the ignorant use of word cyanide, I didnt do my homework in chemistry

ever since someone posted about smoking a tab it has been assumed lsas have limited activity if smoked.....not very strong,over very quickly!

t s t .

I read on another forum that the flowers can be used to make a mildly psychedelic (or somewhat similar to cannabis) wine. I have also read of the roots of a certain species being smoked, not sure if this was for psychedelic effect of just as a tobacco replacement and/or other purpose.

Most likely a result of cyanide. IIRC tiny amounts produce a feeling of 'giddiness', more produces a narcotic feeling, more produces general weakness and melaise, more makes you sick, more kills.

I seem to remember someone smoking uncured ololoqui leaves and getting mild cyanide effects... [Link]

When I was a kid i read about the myth says you can make LSD out of MG. So i went and picked heaps of the weedy variety (that grows everywhere and never sets seed) and made an extraction to no avail. I also tried eating and smoking the leaves, stems and flowers to no effect.

When I was a kid i read about the myth says you can make LSD out of MG. So i went and picked heaps of the weedy variety (that grows everywhere and never sets seed) and made an extraction to no avail. I also tried eating and smoking the leaves, stems and flowers to no effect.

Well that pretty much says it all.

And Mutant I also had the word cyanide in the back of my mind when I thought of consuming the other parts of the plant for some reason.

What's the relation of the cyanide glycosides(sp?) to the LSA plants? Is it something to do with the claviceps, or just happens to occur alongside the same plants? Sorry about the poorly formed question but I'm still learning all this stuff :P

I read on another forum that the flowers can be used to make a mildly psychedelic (or somewhat similar to cannabis) wine. I have also read of the roots of a certain species being smoked, not sure if this was for psychedelic effect of just as a tobacco replacement and/or other purpose.

Hehe listening to a song right now called Morning Glory Wine.

Edit: vvv Didn't even occur to me that it might already be something looked into :lol:

Edited by FancyPants

thats real utse stuff.....there are some scientific papers around........

t s t .