The Corroboree
Xenodimensional

Qld Arrowroot (Canna Edulis) Seeds

Hi all,

I have Qld Arrowroot (Canna Edulis) seeds to give away, just PM your details if interested and I'll post them out in a couple of weeks.

It grows/spreads quickly (almost invasively via seed), but this is probably a good thing if growing it for food (it is able to be used in many foods/recipes - especially as an extender).

Info here: www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/arrowroot.html

Please note this isn't true arrowroot (Maranta arundinacea), but I believe it is just as useful :-)

Here's some pics:

dscf5082t.th.jpgdscf5083j.th.jpgdscf5085u.th.jpgdscf5084a.th.jpg

Edited by Stitches

just to clarify, this is a highly invasive species & is probably listed as noxious in many areas, so please take extreme care folks.

i've tried eating the boiled tubers just like potatos & they taste pretty good if they're not too old & stringy. another interesting fact is that the seeds have been used as shot in certain types of rifles (they're extremly hard & round) by certain south american peoples (look it up).

just to clarify, this is a highly invasive species & is probably listed as noxious in many areas, so please take extreme care folks.

This is certainly true, probably moreso if it is "in the wild" so to speak - as long as it's confined to a garden bed and most of the seeds are removed it is relatively subdued... I have a few clumps growing around the yard and while I wouldn't say it's "out of control" I do keep an eye on it... it grows well in pots