The Corroboree
MindExpansion

Dream suppressors

I was wondering if anyone knew of any natural allies in combatting dreams.

As a side effect of medication I have recently been having incredibly vivid dreams often not of a pleasant nature and many very upsetting.

I've found some info about medications to use for the problem but many of them are quite heavy drugs that I don't want to rely on for sleep.

So any info on natural dream suppressants would be good.

Peace

yeah but you don't wanna disrupt your sleep architecture! no dreaming = no REM (though dreams can also occur during non-REM stages too).

so maybe you should be asking for something that will make you not remember your dreams when you wake up, or make them less vivid?

Some ideas involving working through it on a mental level:

As an alternative to suppression, you could go straight through the middle so to speak. Make a meditation of it. Ask your self how these dreams make you feel. And perhaps develop a sick and twisted sense of humor. Sick, dark twisted archetypes... cool!

Perhaps its divine inspiration for some art or something? or your subconscious talking to you.

Its all perspective. .... some sort of "spiritual" emergency ?

OR.... perhaps change / stop taking this medication ... because its evil.

Good luck and one love!

Dont suppress them this is a gift, use this time to explore your subconciouse as frightening as the dreams may seem. do some research on lucid dreaming once you are able to differenciate your dreamstate from reality the possibilaties are endless .

if your dreams are upsetting you supressing your dream recall wont help whats underlining in your subconciuose because your subconciouse will still be experiencing these dreams and feelings you just wont be conciousely aware of them.

there must be some aspect of your life that you are very unhappy about at presnt wether you are aware or suppressing this. perhaps this is why your taking medication? if you dont mind me asking what meds are you on? if they are of anti depressnt anti psychotic in nature then perhaps these bad dreams are a good thing you have now been forced to see somthing that you have not wished to aknoweledge. interpret your dreams and move on :)

Andys right about the pot however you will still be dreaming you just wont have the dream recall to be aware of them this is a very important time in your psychological and spiritual development dont throw it away a few bad dreams might just be what you needed.

it might be interesting to try some calea or other dream herb.

i assume you would be happy to dream if the content improved?

t s t .

+1 for Andy's suggestion. I'm sure I've read somewhere that it actually affects sleep to the point where it is very unlikely to dream. But I would not encourage use of a prohibited substance, nor the long term use of it for such a trivial use (daily use is certainly not good IMO). As mentioned above, it is probably best to try to cope with whatever is experienced, but easier said than done.

MJ offered no assistance and is a problem that needs dealing with on its own.

The dreams weren't spiritual, they were deeply upsetting on a purely personal level.

Something to change the nature of the content or something to prevent me from remembering the dreams would be welcomed equally.

I'd sooner try calea than alcohol.

The dreams seem to be provoked by the ssri i was taking (while also being there when not on the ssri's, just not to the same degree, I am going to start taking it again because apart from night sweats and vivid dreams I had few significant side effects, and noticed an incredibly significant improvement in my mental state and general happiness, and I have now been suggested a different dosage regime which may minimise these side effects.

So I'm trying to find some solutions to these problems which may or may not arise again.

Peace

Sedative salvias like salvia coccinea could do the trick too. Little amount of psychoactive amanitas smoked prior to sleep could too improve the content of the dreams like tst said.. even though I too wouldn't advise to ingest a prohibited substance if that's the case in Oz.

Yeah, im not sure that i'd recommend putting yourself more at odds with yourself..

Perhaps instead work with the spirit of the medication you are taking.

What's worked really well for me to deconstruct dreams and unravel their some times hidden guidance-

is asking "and what else do I know about that"? 6 times.

And after pausing to reflect upon "what do I know now?"

after breaking the boundary condition of the original information..

I ask, "and what does that know about me?" 6 times.

I once met a succubus in a dream named Nubilla.

It turns out (s)he was an ancient sex related demon that was connected to me through my grandmothers dna..

haha.

Its weird what can dreams can teach and show. It's especially useful to use the preceeding in question in definite sets of 6 in order to unravel and re-ravel your stories.

or dreams.

Edited by G*P

The dreams weren't spiritual, they were deeply upsetting on a purely personal level.

Something to change the nature of the content or something to prevent me from remembering the dreams would be welcomed equally.

I'd sooner try calea than alcohol.

The dreams seem to be provoked by the ssri i was taking (while also being there when not on the ssri's, just not to the same degree, I am going to start taking it again because apart from night sweats and vivid dreams I had few significant side effects, and noticed an incredibly significant improvement in my mental state and general happiness, and I have now been suggested a different dosage regime which may minimise these side effects.

So I'm trying to find some solutions to these problems which may or may not arise again.

Peace

From what ive read SSRIs are usually prescribed for retarted depression (not calling you a retard) just means there treating lack of emotions/demotivation instead of say a suicidal depression i really think that you should face these dreams head on they are obviously trying to tell you somthing SREAMING it at you even it is your HIGHER SELF that is creating these nightmares perhaps your higher self knows that you wouldnt pay attention to a pleasnt dream please dont make matters worse by adding new drugs to the problem SSRIs have a lot of dangerous interactions you could fry yourself with a seemingly innocent combo start a dream journal write it all down if it makes you feel better creat a protection tallisman to take to bed or meditate on a positive mantra. these dreams are important to understand as psychotic or frightening as they may seem dont burry your head in the sand or it will resurface worse later i experienced involuntary OBEs and lucid nightmares a few years back they related to the fact that my life was going nowere and it was all my own doing (yes somtimes evrything is all your own fault) i had spent so much time and effort blaming others for my shortcomings that i failed to look at what was really going on (not saying this is you) but thats was me. this time of emotional/mental unrest frightend me into seeking some help

and remember dude your dreams cant hurt you but you can :wink:

i wish you all the best Mindexpansion you may even look back at these dreams in the future and be grateful, i was!

chinese formula called

An Mian Pian

Peaceful Sleep Tablet; Sleeping Tablet

may help can be taken for the following symptoms

Anxiety

Disturbing dreams

Insomnia

Many dreams

Mental hyperactivity

Nervous breakdown

Restless sleep

Restlessness

Irritation of the eyes

Memory loss

Neurasthenia

Phobia

Red eyes

herbs in it are

Suan Zao Ren (Semen Zizyphi Spinosae)

Yuan Zhi (Radix Polygalae Tenuifoliae)

Fu Ling (Sclerotium Poriae Cocos)

Zhi Zi (Fructus Gardeniae Jasminoidis)

Shen Qu (Massa Medica Fermentata)

Quan Xie (Buthus Martensi)

Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae Uralensis)

another one

Bai Zi Yang Xin Wan

Biota Nourishing the Heart Pill; Biota Seed Pill to Nourish the Heart

Class: Calm the Mind

Subclass:

Source/Author: Ti Ren Hui Bian (Compilation of Materials of Benevolence for the Body)

Other names:

Recipe

Bai Zi Ren (Semen Biotae Orientalis) 26.00 %

Gou Qi Zi (Fructus Lycii) 19.00 %

Xuan Shen (Radix Scrophulariae Ningpoensis) 13.00 %

Shu Di Huang (Radix Rehmanniae Glutinosae Praeparata) 13.00 %

Mai Men Dong (Tuber Ophiopogonis Japonici) 6.50 %

Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis) 6.50 %

Shi Chang Pu (Rhizoma Acori Graminei) 6.50 %

Fu Shen (Sclerotium Poriae Cocos Paradicis) 6.50 %

Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae Uralensis) 3.00 %

Actions

Calms the Mind

Nourishes the Heart

Tonifies Kidney-Yin

Indications

Disharmony between the Heart and Kidneys (Yin Deficiency together with Empty-Heat).

Symptoms

Anxiety

Continuous palpitations

Disturbing dreams

Insomnia

Memory loss

Mental confusion

Night sweating

Restless sleep

Severe palpitations

Dry mouth

Parched lips

But what interactions do those herbs have with an SSRI? :huh: please be carefull

ohh sorry i forgot about ssri

you want to remove short term memory -> long term memory storage, and all he cognitive functions that happen in REM? Or you just want to not wake up remembering the dream?

Yeah some SSRI's have shown to result in zero REM sleep, you will not be dreaming on them.

I do NOT ADVISE THIS! as much as medical bullshit tells you. You go without REM, you will become crazy! REM is a vital part of mental health. Hence amphetamine psychosis. etc.

Thanks for the interesting suggestions, I hadn't thought of amanita and that An Mian Pian sounds very interesting VS, I'll look into ssri interactions there.

And again, I don't think these dreams have much to teach me. They might give good insight into my mental state, but i already know I'm depressed lol, hence the SSRI's, i don't need that depression worsened every morning by graphic dreams of my ex girlfriend, when it was that break up that really tripped me up anyway.

Keep the advice coming :)

Peace

Edited by MindExpansion

i'm not sure how long you were taking the ssri's for previously, but it does take at least a few weeks to a couple of months for neuroadaptive changes to kick in to see the meds having a more serotonergic effect, whereas initially they can be stimulating.

i'm not sure if herbs like skullcap, valerian, chamomile, lemonbalm and ashwagandha are contraindicated with ssri's, but those are the ones i'd check are safe and start experimenting

two other things i'd try- 15 mins meditation or relaxation (either body scan or progressive muscular relaxation PMR) and essential oils before sleeping. look up the typically calming/sedative oils, and if you're not familiar with them, go to a healthfood store and sniff the testers to find one you know works for you. you can keep a tissue with a few drops of the oil inside/near your pillow.

http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Sle...romatherapy.htm is a good list

hopefully you can do/are doing some form of counselling...it always makes sense to combine meds with some counselling.

massage can be very helpful for some people also

sorry, i know you were asking for specific herbs

Thats your subconscious man, the breakup hurt you and your sub is still thinking about it... There's nothing you can really do for that except accept and try to move on.

A friend told me regular weed has stopped him dreaming (or remembering the actual dream, anyway) completely. He actually misses them.... :(

Best of luck mate

Peace

i soo understand you minde...

i have been there many of times and will have to go there soon again...

if it's realy bad and your mind is racing aswell, than i would take a sleeping pill once in a while, as you deserve to have peace just for a while. but don't get hooked on them.

the other thing is to work on your lucid dreaming abileties.

lucid dreaming can easely be learned and used if the dream content repeats itselfe or is of similar character.

what i mean is, think about your nightmares, what are the pictures which repeat itselfe?

once you know them you have to visualise them again and again and indoctrinate youreselve with the phrase,

" if i see those pictures, i know i'm dreaming and i can do what ever i want in my dreams, and i want to fly now".

flying in the dreams is nice, but anyway you just have to have a plan of what you want to do once you are lucid.

i got ptsd and if a new trauma hit's you one get's a phase of re occuring nightmares with little sleep, but strangly i feel that, healing the dream is far more effective in healing the troubled and compromised mind and body, than to think you heal the awake body and the subconcious will follow.

sometimes one can get almost instant healing by changing the dream, or by remebering that the dream has changed.

i once had a very big fight, and naturaly i was distressed for many weeks onwards, but than i remebered that i dreamt that that guy, said to me in a dream, "i had enough, i will not bother you again" and from than onwards, my anxiety levels dropped enormously from one moment to the other.

An added note: not sure about amanita counteraction with an ssri, plus, I have to say amanita might slightly increase intensity and/or lucidity of dreams, so, beware...

I am also thinking now that this negativity might be the need of self to express its negativity despite all this induced ssri euphoria. How long have you been taking the ssris? I am thinking that maybe working out with them instead of supressing might be more beneficial. You are doing some kind of therapy along with the ssris?

planthelper, during my amateur years of searching I have come to think that wokring with PTSD, phobic and traumatic and stressy stuff is a lot about anabiosis, is that right?

Edited by mutant

thx, mutant for adding another foreign word to my vocabulary, anabiosis after all comes from a greek word, so you got the advantage.

i think you get ptsd from having thought you will die.

accepting that you will die, can though give you an eeri sence of deep inner peace.

i avoid any form of stress, and thank god i live a life wher this is possible to a big degree.