The Corroboree
samadhi_sam

Acacia ID Please

Question

Greetings,

I came across this yesterday, a friend had started a major prune as this plant was extending across his (bush) driveway.

Without wanting to seem too keen, I took a few photos of the stuff he had pruned and told him I would take care of the offcuts.

Location is Northern Sydney.

Can anyone help identify this please?

Peace.

Sam

post-6048-1248612203_thumb.jpg post-6048-1248612237_thumb.jpg

post-6048-1248612203_thumb.jpg

post-6048-1248612237_thumb.jpg

post-6048-1248612203_thumb.jpg

post-6048-1248612237_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

longifolia

Thank you Paradox, much appreciate :)

Peace.

The phyllodes look too wide for A. longifolia. If it's native to Sydney it's more likely A. obtusifolia.

The phyllodes look too wide for A. longifolia. If it's native to Sydney it's more likely A. obtusifolia.

Wow, that would be nice if it is!

What can I do to confirm identification, see if I can find a seedpod perhaps?

Peace,

Sam

Can you get a picture of the bark? And a picture from further back... i.e. the general 'habit' of the tree?

I thought it looked like an Obtuse as well, due to rugged edges, the bark of obtuse has a distinct smell when burnt. Good luck

looks like longifolia or longifolia susp. sopharae to me.

you can get comparative information through various sites, this is a good one, world wide wattle.

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/longifolia.php

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgall...obtusifolia.php

Are the margins of the phyllodes resinous at all or are they smooth? It's good to try old and new growth.

The flowers in the photo look more lemon yellow that white to pale yellow.

Obtuse flower over Nov-Jan according to that site...

Bit out of season no? Might rule out the possibility?

Peace

Obtuse flower over Nov-Jan according to that site...

Bit out of season no? Might rule out the possibility?

Peace

the time of flowering can't be used to help id'ing,

i often saw obtuse flower out of season, but allways after good rains...

Macro shots of the phyllodes, and shots of the pods too if you can get them would help. Brownie points if you include something for scale - ruler, pen, match box.

a young longifolia if it helps

th_DSCF0057.jpg

th_DSCF0057.jpg

Thankyou mac, that is a very nice plant :)

Peace.

Sam

Can you get a picture of the bark? And a picture from further back... i.e. the general 'habit' of the tree?
Hi meanies, thanks for the input, I will be back there on Saturday and will take some pics as above and post them here.

btw the obtusifolia I bought from you recently are booming, lots of strong new growth, beautiful indeed!

I thought it looked like an Obtuse as well, due to rugged edges, the bark of obtuse has a distinct smell when burnt. Good luck
Thankyou GreenTara, I will check that out and advise accordingly.
looks like longifolia or longifolia susp. sopharae to me.

Are the margins of the phyllodes resinous at all or are they smooth? It's good to try old and new growth.

The flowers in the photo look more lemon yellow that white to pale yellow.

Thankyou for the links gerbil.

I will check the phyllodes and see if they are resinous.

Yes, the photos do look more lemon yellow, I will check on Saturday. Cheers :)

Macro shots of the phyllodes, and shots of the pods too if you can get them would help. Brownie points if you include something for scale - ruler, pen, match box.
Thankyou cristop, more photography real soon and yes, brownie points are good so will do :)

Peace.

Sam

the time of flowering can't be used to help id'ing,

i often saw obtuse flower out of season, but allways after good rains...

Good to know, cheers ph

Edited by MindExpansion

there isn't actually a great deal of difference in the WIDTH of longifolia & obtusifolia phyllodes & longifolia is one of the most abundant acacia sp. in the sydney area (theres a reason it's called the Sydney Golden Wattle :wink: ) while obtusifolia is very rare in the immediate sydney area. the phyllode tips in these photos don't appear to be very obtuse & don't have the typical thick, leathery, dark green look of obtusifolia with the fairly distinct glandular resinous phyllode margins etc etc.

also the main peak flowering time for longifolia in the sydney area is right NOW.

from the limited info we have here, it's almost certainly A. longifolia IMO

Looks like longifolia to me.

th_DSCF0057.jpg

Hmm, around here we usually take them out of the pot before we plant them in the ground... you far west nsw folk sure are a strange bunch... :P

haha yeah true :scratchhead:

I chopped the bottom out of a larger pot for a water well because we have fairly sandy loamy soil out this way & to stop the lawn choking it in spring, once it gets a head start ill slit the pot & pull it out

My theory was to encourage deep root groth before summer hits

Edited by mac

there isn't actually a great deal of difference in the WIDTH of longifolia & obtusifolia phyllodes & longifolia is one of the most abundant acacia sp. in the sydney area (theres a reason it's called the Sydney Golden Wattle :wink: ) while obtusifolia is very rare in the immediate sydney area. the phyllode tips in these photos don't appear to be very obtuse & don't have the typical thick, leathery, dark green look of obtusifolia with the fairly distinct glandular resinous phyllode margins etc etc.

also the main peak flowering time for longifolia in the sydney area is right NOW.

from the limited info we have here, it's almost certainly A. longifolia IMO

Reviewing my opinion here. I'm used to seeing the A. longifolia that grow as weeds in WA wetlands, & these are all ssp. longifolia with the narrower phyllodes (<15mm).

Apparently ssp. longifolia and ssp. sophorae intergrade around Sydney, so that could explain the wider phyllodes of the plants in the photo. Although A. longifolia is described as having lemon yellow flowers, while the flowers in the photo look paler...on balance, I now agree with Paradox.

yeah the flowers do look a bit pale, but you must take into account that the average peak flowering is winding down & as the flowers lose all their bright yellow pollen through natural processes the way they're designed to, they get paler...