The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
hebrew

essential oil still

ok i am going into the next step of me working with scents from plants and think it is time i bought a still 5 liture capacity still, to keep it all legal, if anyone here has one they would like to sell or trade please let me know or if anyone can provide a link to a decent priced one, i would like a glass one and not sure if i should go and buy all the relevant bits of glassware of just go with those copper ones you see around the joint.

anyway any ideas suggestions, hope this is the right forum to post this in.

wouldn't go with copper for essential oils, either glass or stainless steel. might be able to get a decent stainless steel still for about the same price for the glass. also another advantage of stainless steel you don't need extra stands and accessories, and you can get a high litre capacity

i've used a 'pure distilling' one, copper and mostly not for essentials- but a great reference site is www.homedistiller.org

it doesn't matter what you use for the pot as that stuff all stays in the pot anyway. However, glass is definitely the preferred option for the condensor and receiving flask. These things are all available wihtout any scrutiny. The still head however is something that is more tightly controlled and it should be glass or stainless steel.

ok thanks for that torsten, i dont know where i will go with this i got some mroe research to do in this regards, i am looking at some commercial stills from wine making places, but not sure about those. i liek the idea of glass still but i am afraid of me being clumsy and breaking things.

anyway i got a glass condensor already jsut need a still head, flasks and one fo those fancy colelction flasks, that split the oils from the hydrosol

i liek the idea of glass still but i am afraid of me being clumsy and breaking things.

That's why a metal pot of some sort is actually a good idea. This is the part that gets the most vigorous use and is also rather large and hence fragile if made from glass.

anyway i got a glass condensor already jsut need a still head

Check what sort of heads they have on the 5L stills at the brew shop. there might be one with a stainless steel or glass head. This can then be modified to connect to your condensor. It's pretty easy as you don't need a thermometer or anything else, ie no 3rd port.

flasks and one fo those fancy colelction flasks, that split the oils from the hydrosol

As collection flasks you can use beakers. if you don't like chem gear sitting around [nosey neighbours] just use the inserts from coffee plungers. if you use a metal framed one you can actually use the whole unit [minus the plunger]. If you need something bigger you can use a flagon.

For separation of oil you would best buy a sep funnel. They can be made, but that usually involves rubber or plastic, neither of which is good for oil processes.