The Corroboree
KlUe

Cacti "greenhouse"

Hey guys,

Bought a big and cheap Bunnings greenhouse for my numerous loph collection about a year now, metal frame still OK but the woven patch type plastic covering has corroded and is basically good as f*cked... What I get for paying $60. Anyway, I'm going to have to remake another one using the same metal Bunnings frame; I've seen a few threads over the years about which is best shade cloth to use but can't find it thru search engine.

Opinions on what would be best type of shade colour and thickness would be much appreciated as well as any other suggestions. :) I'm also considering an outdoor type roofing plastic on top to keep some heat in, esp. during the winter, as rain tends to keep them a little wetter than I'd like.

Peace

White shade cloth all year round with another layer of green shade cloth in summer but it depends on yor zone, i fuked up this year but got summer covered and next winter sorted.

White shade cloth all year round with another layer of green shade cloth in summer but it depends on yor zone, i fuked up this year but got summer covered and next winter sorted.

Cheers. I've got plenty of 50% green shade cloth but think it'll be a little overkill... Good point about needing for summer, will play it by ear.

Might go and try out the white stuff. What % you using?

Peace

Kinda depends on what type of plants you plan on growing. What are you looking at?

For the roof on my house I use polycarbonate woven type material which is about 20% - 30%. Then in summer I put green 50% shade cloth over. That's suited to the plants I grow though.

Edited by KanJe

Kinda depends on what type of plants you plan on growing. What are you looking at?

For the roof on my house I use polycarbonate woven type material which is about 20% - 30%. Then in summer I put green 50% shade cloth over. That's suited to the plants I grow though.

Only lophs in there mate, as well as a few other similars.

Cheers

Personally I don't think 50% cloth would be over kill. Maybe even try 70% IMO if your mainly growing lophs.

Maybe just try 50 this summer and play it by ear from there. Let us know what works best for you.

I personally think colour makes next to no difference it's the % of shade that helps. I think it depends on the position of your greenhouse, mine is in full sun all day long from sun up to set my plants are getting direct sun. I use 70% for Lophs, Astros, Ariocarpus and other miniatures, and this is fine for most days. On really hot days 40deg I throw another 50% over the top to be safe.

I use 2 x layers of 70% for seedlings in sumer and 1 layer of 50% in winter. Just play around with it until you workout the best combination for your climate and sun/position.

I found some interesting information regarding colour of shadecloth and how that affects plant growth here.....

What Colour Shade Cloth Is Best?

I found some interesting information regarding colour of shadecloth and how that affects plant growth here.....

What Colour Shade Cloth Is Best?

Just the link I was looking for :)

Not sure where this guys gets his info from but here is one view on it. I feel much the same as I have not noticed any difference between green/white and black.

Light comes in various wavelengths, referred to as colours, which influence either the foliage growth or the flowering pattern of plants. Shade cloth, regardless of its colour, doesn’t significantly affect the wavelengths required for growth, but rather, the amount of UV light transmitted. With plants, just as with people, it’s the UV light which burns.

source>

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s696241.htm

I agree as far as shade cloth colour is more important to the spouse than the plants inside.

However it does seem to make a differance to the waterproof types, like solarweave (my personal choice atm for price per year. but the most expensive to start) the darker weave types seem to get hotter (could be good if thats what you want). I've only tried about a doz types over the years & the lighter colours seem to last longer before they become brittle.

just my observations.

fwiw, I have cacti, succulents, orchids & epiphyllium's growing & flowering under green shade cloth.