The Corroboree
domide

Need advice on discriminatory attack

I agree with Arieon.

I think the freedom to choose is the issue here,if i choose to conceal my identity in public with a scarf then i can do so and i need not justify myself to others.

If i choose to not enter into negotiations i can do that too,i need not justify myself

to anyone else.

Case closed.

The store owner allowed the husband to purchase a newspaper, however, he refused to serve the woman.

Why didn't the husband just buy the magazine for his wife? Would have saved considerable hassle.

I think the freedom to choose is the issue here,if i choose to conceal my identity in public with a scarf then i can do so and i need not justify myself to others.

If i choose to not enter into negotiations i can do that too,i need not justify myself

to anyone else.

Case closed.

Ninjas are everywhere!

Why didn't the husband just buy the magazine for his wife? Would have saved considerable hassle.

cuz he's a lazy fuck that somehow gets a woman to believe her role is to run around servicing him.

an assumption, but it might be accurate. religions like christianity and islam appear to cause this kind of relationship to occur to a fuller extent.

Rules is rules,sometimes theyre turkeys.

In fact they are often Turkeys.

Sometime they are like the thanksgiving rubber ones of Mr Bush.

The Australian government signed up for that so it's not the alleged bus drivers fault he has to impliment a curious set of mixed messages from a government playing all sides.

I find it troubling though, I feel it is their religious beliefs that they are told by God to wear the scarfs and as such they should be allowed to do so. If we indeed live in a country of liberty and freedom then that includes the right for each person to be free from religious prejudice. We as citizens here need to accept the fact we are a multi cultural and free religion state (although still predominately Christian as anyone who has been to court will realise). I believe in God however also believe that any other person interpretation of God and their set religion is highly a set way of freedom and liberty for the people. I try to accept all religions people follow no matter what they may be, I know quite a few Muslim friends and couples who are extremely good people, by far the best and most trustworthy people I know. The perception a lot of people have from the media is becoming extreme, they promote muslim extremists but in doing so we become anti muslim extremists. The fact is Australia evolves constantly, but the initial basis of liberty and freedom still needs to be retained by our people, this includes acceptance and respect which is something that seems to be increasingly lost in society today. Once people can see past the politics and realise that we will move towards a much easier way of life for all our citizens and residents.

• Like 1

What makes you think you have any knowledge about middle eastern cultural practices? Perhaps you studied middle eastern cultures at university or it's a interest in which you have widely read. Im assuming that you're not in anyway 'middle eastern'.

Im sure there is quite a lot of women who are quite happy to wear it and it might not mean anything more significant to them than a wedding ring.

At the end of the day it is someones choice to wear whatever the hell they want.

It's not our job to ban it because we don't understand it, particularly here in the west where people have a lot more freedom. Obviously in somewhere like afghanistan the woman ARE blatantly oppressed a lot of the time.

Yes, oppression of woman can be rampant in some of the middle eastern countries.....but also in western countries and asian ones.

Anyway, at least read this for a different viewpoint and maybe open your eyes to some other meanings of the burqa.

http://www.post-gazette.com/headlines/2001...womennat3p3.asp

Fuck the french burqa/scarf ban!!

peace teo,

GCF

I think that is a contradiction in terms!!! :huh: The problem is when it is not your choice and you still have to wear it :slap: but as for the dickhead store owner well I'd suggest that they and their friends shop elsewhere. My old mans a racist bigot and we have regular arguments, especially about the Qantas ad. "only 2 bloody aussie kids in that whole ad" Unfortunately, and I told him this only 2 weeks ago, the world will be a much better place when the likes of him are dead and buried. It's a die out process that is on going all the time. Certain things happened to him during the war years that he can never get over so in some ways I feel sad for him more than angry. I guess we all have some level of racism within all of us. I dare anyone to say otherwise because if they do they are just kidding themselves.

Hutch. :wink:

My old mans a racist bigot and we have regular arguments, especially about the Qantas ad. "only 2 bloody aussie kids in that whole ad" Unfortunately, and I told him this only 2 weeks ago, the world will be a much better place when the likes of him are dead and buried. It's a die out process that is on going all the time.

hahah holy shit man, I see im not alone in this phenomenon :lol:

your situation & point of view is like a mirror of my own.

stay strong bro :P

Wow !

I have to agree with both sides on this.

I feel that they have a right to wear whatever they want as its in the religion but cracking the shits about it when you get refused by a shopkeeper. . . Get Real !

As it has already been said, what if in this case it was a bank ?

I can guarantee she would have had to take it off for the sake of security.

I feel that you can walk into a shop and try to buy things with a 'mask' on but if a shop keeper say's no he has every right to and you should just leave it like that.

I'm a bit racist but I look at both sides of things and in this case I highly suggest you change a bit to live in Australia or your going to find it pretty hard.

I have no problem with what you (she) do or wear but this is Australia and we aren't going to let people do whatever they want. We have our own way of living that i feel you should get to know.

Now that dude that got sacked for using water to wash his ass a while back, I understand that & it doesn't worry me, but some things just aren't going to mix with some people.

Sorry if i came over a bit strong, i just get sick of this shit.

Conclusion: people will tolerate some things, but while your living in this country you will also have to understand that we have certain ways of doing things that your soon going to have to accept, if not i can see this stuff happening all over, town after town.

Edited by .:Shadow:.

I'm a bit racist but I look at both sides of things and in this case I highly suggest you change a bit to live in Australia or your going to find it pretty hard.

Are you from non-australian Indigenous heritage?

If so, What changes have you made in your life to fit in with the Indignenous cultural norms that were/are present?

Its amazing that white australia was created through people doing whatever they want and now white australian use the same old shit of 'you have to live like us'

** Edit to say that was meant to be non-Indigneous australian. I guess the first one works too but depends how it is interpreted.

Edited by GingaNinja

You were enriched multiculturally by here today and gone tomorrow politicos with no backbone.

If so, What changes have you made in your life to fit in with the Indignenous cultural norms that were/are present?

Its amazing that white australia was created through people doing whatever they want and now white australian use the same old shit of 'you have to live like us'

Well I do like my wine by the cask :P Please don't take offence as none was meant. :lol: I struggle a little though with the statement

I don't think it has anything to do with who was here first. It gets back to a way of life and fortunately the majority of us Australians live with the same values and ideals and that goes no matter what the skin color or where you were born. I have a great mate whose Scottish ascent is so broad I can hardly understand a thing he says but he is as true blue dinky di aussie as anyone. He'd flatten you if you said other wise. :P What I think is really missing is respect! I don't want everybody to live like me! What a boring place this would be. Just respect me and my ways and I will respect yours. Who know's what we could learn off each other.

Hutch :wink:

• Like 1

Well I do like my wine by the cask :P Please don't take offence as none was meant. :lol: I struggle a little though with the statement

I don't think it has anything to do with who was here first. It gets back to a way of life and fortunately the majority of us Australians live with the same values and ideals and that goes no matter what the skin color or where you were born. I have a great mate whose Scottish ascent is so broad I can hardly understand a thing he says but he is as true blue dinky di aussie as anyone. He'd flatten you if you said other wise. :P What I think is really missing is respect! I don't want everybody to live like me! What a boring place this would be. Just respect me and my ways and I will respect yours. Who know's what we could learn off each other.

Well said :)

Well I do like my wine by the cask :P Please don't take offence as none was meant.

Saying no offence after a comment doesnt make it any less offensive

I don't think it has anything to do with who was here first.

Would you have no issue with someone unknown entering the space you call home and doing whatever they wanted?

It gets back to a way of life and fortunately the majority of us Australians live with the same values and ideals and that goes no matter what the skin color or where you were born.

Thats my point, we are talking about minority groups, what about people/groups that dont fit into the western dominated culture? Clearly where this women was born and thus her cultural learning results in her not fitting in, so how can you say this?

What I think is really missing is respect! Just respect me and my ways and I will respect yours.

Again, thats my point, its not really respecting people when you are telling them to change or fuck off

Edited by GingaNinja

Would you have no issue with someone unknown entering the space you call home and doing whatever they wanted?

Thats my point, we are talking about minority groups, what about people/groups that dont fit into the western dominated culture? Clearly where this women was born and thus her cultural learning results in her not fitting in, so how can you say this?

Again, thats my point, its not really respecting people when you are telling them to change or fuck off

Sorry GingaNinja! I really thought you would be big enough to have a laugh with me at that one but you are obviously very sensitive. I'm sorry buddy but maybe I'm just as indigenous to this land as you are. I don't think you really give a damb about the woman in the shop! That's not really what you are referring too? Your point is I believe more about the white invasion. Mate, sorry but it happened a real long time ago and we weren't there.

"I am, you are, we are Australian" sounds like it's got a good ring to it to me :lol: Our live's are way too short as it is and too much of it is wasted in the pursuit of things that can't be changed and at the end of the day don't really matter. We just thought they did at the time. Relax mate and drop your guard just a bit. We can't save the world on our own. :P

And as for respect! Maybe I am now starting to think that needs to be earned.....

Have a great day....

I don't think you really give a damb about the woman in the shop!

I dont like to see injustice in any form and the two cases we are talking about in my eyes both involve injustice

Mate, sorry but it happened a real long time ago and we weren't there.

Sure white people arrived in Australia a long time ago, but the same attitudes that allowed people to do such horendous things then, are still present today.

I beleive that we are directly involved through allowing colonialistic attitudes to domintate over others.

Whether its is the governmnet enforcing western ideals on Indigneous communities, lack off effective protection of Aboriginal cultural heritate or a woman being refused service in a shop due to her choice of clothes, we are all responsible for letting this shit happen.

Our live's are way too short as it is and too much of it is wasted in the pursuit of things that can't be changed and at the end of the day don't really matter.

Does it not matter cos you are not the one being fucked over? Does it matter that our rights to grow plants are constantly being stripped away?

We just thought they did at the time. Relax mate and drop your guard just a bit. We can't save the world on our own. :P

Maybe not but turning a blind eye and saying gross injustices dont matter isnt going to make things better.

I dont like to see injustice in any form and the two cases we are talking about in my eyes both involve injustice

Sure white people arrived in Australia a long time ago, but the same attitudes that allowed people to do such horendous things then, are still present today.

I beleive that we are directly involved through allowing colonialistic attitudes to domintate over others.

Whether its is the governmnet enforcing western ideals on Indigneous communities, lack off effective protection of Aboriginal cultural heritate or a woman being refused service in a shop due to her choice of clothes, we are all responsible for letting this shit happen.

Does it not matter cos you are not the one being fucked over? Does it matter that our rights to grow plants are constantly being stripped away?

Maybe not but turning a blind eye and saying gross injustices dont matter isnt going to make things better.

I give up mate! You win. You don't want to meet me or anyone half way and I feel your just pushing for a fight. I never once said that I disagreed with anything you just said above. What I disagree with is her enforcement to wear it if that is the case. If she chooses to wear it then that's her choice. IS THAT A FAIR COMMENT? What don't you understand about what I am saying. He was more than likely out of line! I said that! My eyes ain't blind as you state and I am disappointed that you think from what I have said that they are. I just like to keep things in perspective. You don't make me want to get along with you because you want me to think exactly like you! Read what I have said throughout this thread and I think you will find we are not so far apart in our opinions. We may just express them differently. Deep breaths mate! Deep breaths! We both have something in common. That's why we are on the same forum.

Hutch :unsure:

• Like 1

to anyone else.

Case closed.

The store owner has the very same rights as you just pointed out for yourself and rightly so. He does have the right to sell to whom he pleases. I banned a guy about 12 years ago from entering my battery store. He had a bitch with the old owner and wanted me to make him feel better. I actually jumped the counter after many visits and dropped this guy. No charges were ever layed and I never saw this guy again. If you feel threatened whether it be real or imagine that fact is that you are still threatened.

It still sounds like this guy was just a dick...

Hutch

Hmm,can you determine the admissability of the 'Evidence' from the hear-say?

DUCK!!!!

That one just flew straight over my head sorry!!

A spoiler is only a spoiler if it gets spoiled as is a boiler who is only a boiler when it gets boiled.

Now if your spoiled and your boiled I would suggest you get well oiled.

Yep,you guessed it,it's bollocks.

Thought so :lol: