The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sethomopod

Growing habits of Caapi seedlings

Hey guys,

I was hoping if anyone out there can shed some light on this.... I planted this Caapi seed at the beginning of December last year, It took quite a while to germinate, and seems to be very slow growing... I have 2 more plants and they (as everyone knows) grow very quickly, It's the 1st time I've grown Caapi from seed and have no idea if the same rate of growth applies to seedlings aswell.. Other vines I have germinated take off quickly, so this one has me scracthin my head :scratchhead:

Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal for Caapi? Any help on this is appreciated

post-5455-1247392467_thumb.jpg

thats probably because it's not a caapi, and i don't know what it is.

looks very interressting though! :wub:

edit:

what is that thing on the right at the base of the plant? is that the wing of the seed?

in case it is that it would be very confusing...

never seen, hairs on caapi...,

never seen a succulent like caapi, but your pic shows those features...

the fleshy succulent leaves remind me faintly of viridis, maybe it's a diplo,

but i allways say that, to mistery seedlings, as a sort of a wishfull thinking.

Edited by planthelper

Wow very interesting seedling, can you give us information on where you obtained the seed, it looks like a caapi seed with the wing still at the base of the plant. strange growth with those hairs and the nodes are extremely close together...need to know the source of the seed.

H.

Yes, That is the wing of the seed on the bottom right. It is definitely a B. Caapi. I purchased 5 seeds from herbalistics, Of the 5, only 1 had a slight green tinge to it, and thats the only one the germinated. I thought this growth pattern may be a little odd.. Does anyone out there have pics of caapi seedlings, that we could compare?

This is turning out to be interesting... maybe a genetic flaw? It's always been very healthy, just very slow growing...

Cheers for the input guys... :)

That doesn't look like Caapi to me.... Maybe it's a mutant Caapi? A new strain?! ...maybe it's another plant entirely.

That doesn't look like Caapi to me.... Maybe it's a mutant Caapi? A new strain?! ...maybe it's another plant entirely.

Yeah, mutant has crossed my mind. I bought the seeds from a fairly reputable aussie dealer teotz, The seeds looked exactly like all pics I have ever seen, with the wing and all.. I'm pretty sure it is a caapi.. Maybe a freak.....

Have you germinated caapi at all teotz? any pics to compare would be great!!

Cheers!

Edited by sethomopod

I have, but I don't have any pics, sorry!

I started a bunch of caapi seedlings several months ago. The plant in the picture does not look a lot like caapi but possibly if it was stunted it might grow like that. I had one out of the whole batch that looked totally different than the others. It had much narrower leaves. I'm saving it to see how it turns out.

If it came from a seed that looked like caapi seed, that narrows it down somewhat. Maybe it's that plant we are all looking for?

Pretty cool little plant.

I reckon its a caapi. Check out this link for some pretty weird/cool seedlings: http://www.australianethnobotany.com/viewt...ght=snake+caapi

Looks alot like Darcy's small guy maybe?

Very much doubt Diplopterys as they do not have a straight winged seed & looks nothing like a caapi seed: http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/malpigh/Int...orphFruit2.html

Good luck with it & dibs on a cutting :P

Edited by shruman

Pretty cool little plant.

I reckon its a caapi. Check out this link for some pretty weird/cool seedlings: http://www.australianethnobotany.com/viewt...ght=snake+caapi

Looks alot like Darcy's small guy maybe?

Very much doubt Diplopterys as they do not have a straight winged seed & looks nothing like a caapi seed: http://herbarium.lsa.umich.edu/malpigh/Int...orphFruit2.html

Good luck with it & dibs on a cutting :P

Thanks shruman... There was a guy who noted fine hairs growing from his caapi aswell, so thats good to know.. it does look a like the "small guy". I've included a pic with my thumb next to it to show you just how small this is.. a very small, small guy..

I did get it from herbalistics, so maybe it in the same family as the small guy.... real interesting tho..

thanks for the link buddy!

post-5455-1247451969_thumb.jpg

That small after 7 months? Something is wrong here. I doubt even more it's caapi after seeing that second pic but it still could be. It should be much larger. It's green, no fert shortages seen, no over watering burn seen. Are you giving it enough light? But that can't be it, it's a mystery.

Maybe just a genetic mutant, and as we have seen before there is a lot of varying genetics in seed. I would be contacting the vendor and showing them a picture and asking have they noticed and variability with their own stock grown from the same batch of seed.

Or there is the longshot bet of that it's not actually the Caapi seed that germinated, but some old Viridis that you may have forgotten you planted in the same soil.

H.

edit...take a look at a viridis plant and then look at a young Caapi, that plant of yours has distinctly similar nodes to a type of viridis than any caapi. Caapi being a vine it puts out really long tails and grows extremely fast, up to and including 30cm a day in warm weather. Having another closer look, I notice that viridis have this unique way it puts out it's new leaves, they stick together and are like a little scoop and then they separate really late, your seedling is exhibiting those exact traits.

Edited by Hunab Ku

If it wasn't in QLD i would say it may just waiting on the right conditions & it will take off once it warms up a little ?

I have seen a few herb seedlings stunted before when grown in cooler weather but they usually kick in once the conditions are to their liking

Maybe its a naturally occurring throwback, dwarf or miniature plant due to genetics ? (dose this happen in nature much :scratchhead: )

How do your other caapi seedlings from this same batch look? Because i got 5 seeds from herbalistics as well and now have 2 seedlings that look very similar to yours, although a lot smaller. Maybe its just the way this strain grows?

Hey Guys, Thanks for the input... Hunab, I did think it may have been another forgotten seed too, but I had a think, and remember they were sown in fresh potting mix. And it cant be a viridis, as the 4 I own were all purchased as plants, and none have flowered yet... I'm quite certain its the caapi that germinated. The leaves are the same.. just miniature..

The link provided above had some pics from herbalistics that showed a plant ("small guy") with similar growth patterns, although his is about three times the size as mine.. I guess I will contact Herbalistics and see if it came from the same batch of seed.

Uncle Staunch, Of the 5 seeds I bought, only 1 germinated, it was the only one with a green tinge still in it.. so I don have any other to compare it too. I have 2 caapi plant and they are normal fast growing, big leafed beauties! I'm interested in your seedlings.. Smaller than this one?!! Any pics? When did you buy your seed? when did you sow it and how long did it take to germinate? sorry bout all the q's, but, if its from the same batch, That means there could be some sort of uniformity in a mutation.. Dunno....pretty interesting nonetheless!!

Edited by sethomopod