The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Corydalis germination experience?

Anyone here know of anywhere to purchase whole corydalis spp plants in Australia?

Just got my seed order in from B&T ( very prompt, excellent service ) and while I've read a bit from the germination database, info is scant.

Germination temp is listed at about 10-15C, which kinda suggests it may need some stratification. Would welcome any hints or experiences on the topic :)

OK I have a whole pile-a germination data. Looks very complex- sorta on the theme of sow immediately, freeze/ thaw and repeat if necessary.

Would like to hear of others experiences though

Corydalis species from cold climates need frost to germinate. I.e they should be planted in the fall. I don't know the specifics, but I seem to remember that freezing them at around for 24 hours before sowing should also do the trick.

Do you have any specific species in mind?

C. aurea, cheilanthrifolia, nobilis and solida. I don't think its gunna be easy, which is why I'm also trying to find whole plants locally

proper frosts are due here after the next rain. pretty sure i have a species of cory growing here somewhere at the present.

We got the c. aurea in culture to set new roots, so we'll be working on a new protocol to increase proliferation rates.

Can't work out whether to sell the whole plants or to just clone a few and sell the seed. Might try to germinate some fresh seed from deflasked parents and if that's easy enough then the seed is the way to go

Still don't have solida or nobilis or turtschaninovii yet. Geez I'd like one or two of them...

i'd buy seeds or plants of good types when you have them avail. had a few surprises come up this winter in pots that i'd given up on. one of the best cory plants i've seen is growing under a leaky water tank in the shade, been there for years.