The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Stay Puft

damage to rare acacia at public gardens...

It is my sda duty to inform you guys that once again an acacia has been targeted in a high profile public garden! This time it was a phlebophylla that was damaged and the IDIOTS (sorry but it really pisses me off) ring barked a young phelb, and so badly that i fear it may not survive!

If you are ever considering damaging a plant to get off please consider what you are doing... there are many ways to acquire plant material that do not involve destroying plants, and especially something so rare and unique... i fear that the garden in question may not replace the plant due to the unwanted attention it brings...

if the culprit reads this i hope that they feel remorse for what they did... and also realize how stupid they are in the fact that they have damaged a plant and will get no reward from it in the end anyway!

I think it is our responsibility as a community to encourage ethical harvesting, as it is communities like ours that are scrutinized after such events...

It is my sda duty to inform you guys that once again an acacia has been targeted in a high profile public garden! This time it was a phlebophylla that was damaged and the IDIOTS (sorry but it really pisses me off) ring barked a young phelb, and so badly that i fear it may not survive!

If you are ever considering damaging a plant to get off please consider what you are doing... there are many ways to acquire plant material that do not involve destroying plants, and especially something so rare and unique... i fear that the garden in question may not replace the plant due to the unwanted attention it brings...

if the culprit reads this i hope that they feel remorse for what they did... and also realize how stupid they are in the fact that they have damaged a plant and will get no reward from it in the end anyway!

I think it is our responsibility as a community to encourage ethical harvesting, as it is communities like ours that are scrutinized after such events...

This makes me so fucking angry would love to find the fuckers and harvest their limbs I have heard there are intresting alkaloids in various parts of the body maybe I can use their's for extracting these from :lol:

Edited by neoshaman

You eastern staters need to form some sort of plant-vigilante group

I bags running at the front with a big muthafuckin hatchet so whos up for harvesting alkaloids from the bodys of plant vandals the penial gland is all mine LMAO

I bags running at the front with a big muthafuckin hatchet so whos up for harvesting alkaloids from the bodys of plant vandals the penial gland is all mine LMAO

for sure... bags the the adrenachrome..

I think the stupid part is taking the bark...aren't the leaves where it's at...idiots.

H.

I think the stupid part is taking the bark...aren't the leaves where it's at...idiots.

H.

yeah i was thinking that about the particular species in question also it does have actives in the leaves i'm about 95% sure which makes this ignorant destruction even worse

That is really criminal when people ring bark trees.

They should be shot!!

If it looks like the tree will die you may be able to save it using a bridging graft.

They are not very easy to do but if you do a few you may just save a life.

Good luck

sometimes if bark is removed in a strip it will close over with time....but the exposed wood looks dead.ring barking can result in suckering with maidenii.....the results of similar problems in other states......properly pruned branches can close over the removal hole.

t s t .

Some people are just plain stupid and have no respect for an ENDANGERED Acacia. There is always one dickhead that goes out of their way to destroy it for everyone else, it is an honor to have such a rare plant in a public garden. Hopeful the plant survives and the idiot/s lern a lesson. :slap:

Edited by sharxx101

You know my stance on this!

Grow your own and show the plant some respect!

I hope if they read this they actually go out and do something about it and plant a few of the species they destroyed!

Why not have a program (here on this site) where you guys grow Native Australian botanicals and release them into the wild were populations are low?

Edited by Teotz'

I am also starting to get sick of this shit too !

I live along the river and the greenys have got a pretty big garden down there, anyways. . .

In swims dreams he likes to go down there and smoke a j or 2 and be surrounded with all the wonderfully plants

but as of 2months ago there have been someone coming down and killing the tree's for the bark.

There's over 10 tree's already dead and at least another 30 barkless =/

I would really like to catch the culprit and teach him a thing or too :slap: but i guess i can't really sit down there 24/7

Also how would someone go about harvesting bark without causing more damage to the tree than he needs to.

( not that i'm going too just wondering for natures sake )

"Why not have a program (here on this site) where you guys grow Native Australian botanicals and release them into the wild were populations are low?"

That's a really great idea Teotz !

I would like to start doing this in my local area sometime soon, but will need some time to collect everything :)

Also my moto is: If you destroy something, plant 10x of that plant back into the environment ;)

Keep us posted on the plantings as i would like to get some idea's as what to help grow up here, I'm pretty sure my mate will help me grow / spread em around the area too ( he loves nature )

We have to be careful putting plants back into the wild... it is one thing to reveg an area that has been damaged beyond recognition (even then there are problems) but by putting plants back in the wild we risk introducing pests and diseases that the wild populations have not encountered.

The other major risk is introducing genes that would have never been cross bred into the gene pool of the population being 'rejuvenated'. This risks causing more damage to the natural environment for a number of reasons...

We have to preserve natural settings in their 'natural' state as much as possible... if we go around planting things all over the joint eventually we will not know the difference between a real natural community, or one that has been altered by the presence of man... and it is these real natural communities that must be preserved...

Not trying to shoot you down teotz but these are the dilemmas faced by ecologists in today's world... and i believe we are best to leave nature do its thing... By all means create native vegetation patches in gardens or on agricultural land... but do not alter truly natural landscapes!

We have to be careful putting plants back into the wild... it is one thing to reveg an area that has been damaged beyond recognition (even then there are problems) but by putting plants back in the wild we risk introducing pests and diseases that the wild populations have not encountered.

The other major risk is introducing genes that would have never been cross bred into the gene pool of the population being 'rejuvenated'. This risks causing more damage to the natural environment for a number of reasons...

We have to preserve natural settings in their 'natural' state as much as possible... if we go around planting things all over the joint eventually we will not know the difference between a real natural community, or one that has been altered by the presence of man... and it is these real natural communities that must be preserved...

Not trying to shoot you down teotz but these are the dilemmas faced by ecologists in today's world... and i believe we are best to leave nature do its thing... By all means create native vegetation patches in gardens or on agricultural land... but do not alter truly natural landscapes!

I agree with Puft daddy nature does the best job but most of the bad damage was gone by the early settlers planting plants to make them feel more at home :slap: . I am in an acacia club that lerns valuable info on acacias its called wild about wattle. We try preserve endangered acacias by growing them and keeping them in existance as there natural habitat is always under attack by people trying to get off or land clearing. Us humans dont realise how much we are tied to trees and all plant life. I love acacias and I hate when dickhead like in this case destroy a beautiful and healthy tree, I remeber seeing this tree at this public garden and it made me very happy to see it there! I think there should be one hidden in every public garden as this is an endangered plant that is beautiful and only grows in Vic :wub:

Edited by sharxx101

Teotz' idea plus Mr S Puft's caution = a possibly decent plan.

Puft is right about introducing things where they are not naturally endemic. For example: I really like the look of Queensland Silver Wattle, but it can take over and crowd out the southern acacias that are supposed to grow down here. Some one I know is doing bush regen near the central coast and he hates them for this! So if you are in an area where phlebophylla or obtusifolia are native, plant those. If you are in an area where maidenii is endemic plant that and so on. But this has to be done in a way that takes into account the natural balance in species numbers etc.

On the other hand, there are some areas where the environment is so massively disrupted that I'm not sure you could do much more damage by introducing a non-endemic species.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Yeti101

H.

This goes for any wattle species. TAKING BARK IS UNNECESSARY.

Good idea. Start by stealing the labels from the trees. The fuckwits that do this couldn't ID an Acacia without a label.

Teotz' idea plus Mr S Puft's caution = a possibly decent plan.

Well said...

The main goal of Teotzlcoatl is to preserve ethnobotanicals and entheogenic knowledge.

but as of 2months ago there have been someone coming down and killing the tree's for the bark.

There's over 10 tree's already dead and at least another 30 barkless =/

I would really like to catch the culprit and teach him a thing or too :slap: but i guess i can't really sit down there 24/7

Also how would someone go about harvesting bark without causing more damage to the tree than he needs to.

( not that i'm going too just wondering for natures sake )

That's a fair bit of bark in a short time. I'm not experienced enough with it's use, but that sounds like more bark than one person can use. Surely no one would be evil enough to kill trees for some sort of personal gain? No one here knows anyone like that.

I agree that this is deeply unethical behavior. I'd go even further and say that someone capable of doing this does not have the ethno communities best interests at heart.

That's a fair bit of bark in a short time. I'm not experienced enough with it's use, but that sounds like more bark than one person can use. Surely no one would be evil enough to kill trees for some sort of personal gain? No one here knows anyone like that.

I agree that this is deeply unethical behavior. I'd go even further and say that someone capable of doing this does not have the ethno communities best interests at heart.

Yeah I thought that too so whos producing decent quanities and onselling up that way they obviously need the living fuck beat out of them before being thrown from a moving car outside their local police station I would really have no issue with causing all kind of physicall harm to such an inconsiderate fuckhead

A lot of justifiable anger in this thread but the ethno-community itself is responsible for the promotion of the use of bark rather than the use of leaves.

Edited by Mycot

A lot of justifiable anger in this thread but the ethno-community itself is responsible for the promotion of the use of bark rather than the use of leaves.

While i agree with you on that point mycot there are ways to ethically obtain bark without completely killing the tree

Getting sponsorship from plant or tree nurseries for regeneration programs is as easy as shit!

SAB could easily canvass suppliers of endangered species and organise programs, with as much as offering a free banner for the business..

While i agree with you on that point mycot there are ways to ethically obtain bark without completely killing the tree

While there is some truth in this, there are many who are unsure about how to go about it. Couple this with people new to the field who don't give too much of a shit and just want something to get off and you have a disaster in the making.

It's sad that the use of bark with acacia species was so heavily promoted that many were unaware that the leaves are active and in some cases have higher alkaloid levels than the bark.

Had the use of leaves been promoted instead, we would likely be seeing a different picture today with people being more ethically sensitive. We lead by example.

Edited by Mycot