The Corroboree
lofty86

Dose any one know of any active acacias in the Mackay region QLD?

Theres about 2 acacias i see alot of up here ones a paperbark with white flowers (im assuming this one is useless) and the other has a thick dark bark, long phylodes, and flowers yellow dose any one in the area know what they are? or if theres any actives local to my area? my camras broken atm sorry. any info would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

I think there's about 900 acacia species in aus. You wil probably have to be a bit more specific :P

Well Staunch thats why i specifically asked if any one in the MACKAY region new what i was talking about! :huh: so dose any one in the MACKAY region know of a local active? once i get my cam fixed ill take some photos of the acaias i mentiond and post them in the ID thread, sorry if i my Question was a bit vague.

i can be a real airhead somtimes :bong:

You could try & pick the brain of one of the staff of a local nursery in your area , they may know what acacias commonly grow in your area & you may be able to pick up a couple of seedlings of the more common ones in your area & some other desired species

It should help you to identify your local acacias & research further into others

Edited by mac

Thanks Mac will do :lol:

I've never been as far as Mackay, but around Moranbah there is an active acacia around with long yellow flowers that are in flower late winter/early spring. It's easy to find because it's the dominant tree in a lot of places around there. I don't know the species but it is active. Look where clearing is being done for new housing estates and more times than not they have cleared a bunch of them so there's no need to kill other plants.

If you id it please let me know because I have been trying to figure it out. Also it you ever harvest some of their seeds I'd love some of them as I live along way from there now.

Hey cadjet i think they might be the same one, ill make sure i check, i live a bit out of town on a mountain, the hillstops are flowing yellow right now,i go out moranbah often to see mates who work out there so ill collect some seed anyway. they will seed around august september wont they? PM me with your details caljet666 and in a few months i can send you some seed. The Mackay botanical garden has an active - Obtusifolia, they also have some Tricherous cacti at the gardens, Blue lotus flowers there and fuckloads of spider grass if anyone else is into SRIs It seems to me that the best place to look for an active acacia is your local botanical garden

Hey cadjet i think they might be the same one, ill make sure i check, i live a bit out of town on a mountain, the hillstops are flowing yellow right now,i go out moranbah often to see mates who work out there so ill collect some seed anyway. they will seed around august september wont they? PM me with your details caljet666 and in a few months i can send you some seed. The Mackay botanical garden has an active - Obtusifolia, they also have some Tricherous cacti at the gardens, Blue lotus flowers there and fuckloads of spider grass if anyone else is into SRIs It seems to me that the best place to look for an active acacia is your local botanical garden

I hope you are not considering helping yourself to any of these plants or even taking cuttings or samples... :huh:

H.

In mackay they have a sign up saying no removal of seeds, plants, cutting, without the expressed permission from the curator so you could always ask also you can join friends of the garden a vounteer group that helps around the gardens i cant see why the botanical gardens wouldnt let you take samples of the locals if you went about asking them the right way. i personally would never destroy public propety to get lit but i cant see how taking a seed or two could hurt!

Have you ever taken a shell from the beach? They say your not supposed to do that either but i dont think that anyone noticed when you did. :rolleyes:

there is a very informative site that details local acacias with pictures about mackay up. Won't post the link but its out there so keep looking.

Theres about 2 acacias i see alot of up here ones a paperbark with white flowers (im assuming this one is useless) and the other has a thick dark bark, long phylodes, and flowers yellow dose any one in the area know what they are? or if theres any actives local to my area? my camras broken atm sorry. any info would be greatly appreciated. :lol:

There are sooo many species mate :P

Normally i let people do there own reaserch if there trying to find somthing but SWIM is also after the same thing you are. . .

Try a Google search for Acacia Maidenii ;)

OK so ive found my acacia in question Acacia dissparima cant find any info on wether or not its active. :huh:

How ever searching through the Mackay local council plants list i found pics of Mimosa hostilis and Mimosa pigra turns out Ive been walking past what im looking for almost everyday of my life.

Mimosa hostilis and Mimosa pigra are both noxiouse weeds in my area LOL all this time ive been searching for an active acacia and my mums been pulling this shit out of her garden IM OVER THE MOON :lol: along side the these mimosa shrubs we also have another type of mimosa up here which is a ground covering it grows along the grass up here its called sensitive weed the site didn’t have its scientific name just that it was also a mimosa :drool2:

I'm quite sure that Mimosa hostilis does not occur as a weed in Australia.

Mimosa species that do occur as weeds in Australia are M.pigra, M.invisa and three varieties of M.pudica.

I'm quite sure that Mimosa hostilis does not occur as a weed in Australia.

Mimosa species that do occur as weeds in Australia are M.pigra, M.invisa and three varieties of M.pudica.

Fuck your right its not a hostilis even though sevral pictures i found on google and many websites claimed that it was there is so much mis-information out there about DMT containing plantlife im begining to wonder if its intentional almost evry site that had anything to do with psychoactives had an incorrect id from now on when i need to positivly id anything im going straight to a horticultural site that has nothing to do with the psychoactive side of things even some of the American vendors had misleading images on there sites (probly so u dont find your own actives and cut there grass)