The Corroboree
SayN

Do you still listen to 'old' music?

As much as I luv Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Neil Young etc and other classic artists, I really don't listen to their music anymore despite having entire collections on CD. It feels, to me, like I would be trying to recreate/relive the past which will detract from the here and now (and future).

Am I alone in this?

Well I'm only in my early 20s and I love those artists!

I just threw some Janis Joplin on the ipod last night, was listening to Catfish Blues by Jimi Hendrix the night before that and on the weekend was pounding the Zep!

Yeah led zep is still good from time to time but the stones and david bowie i listen to all the time, and the angels. good stuff and im 20, so maybe you have just gotten bored of it since you've known it for a lot longer than we have.

I listen to Floyd in my car as it's only got a cassette deck... :P ..thanks HM for finding any music on tape for my car but it just goes round and round...till I find some other cassettes with half decent music on em...I often listen to Dead Kennedys, Millions of Dead cops, Nirvana, Tangerine dream, Kraftwerk, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, GBH...loads of other old school punk and have a real soft spot for old sixties artists like Joplin and even the Mama's and papa's...it's not all psytrance and Korn around here that's for sure.

if anyone has any cool albums on tape they don't listen to anymore I'd be happy to trade for seeds/cuttings etc.

H.

Most of the music I listen to is old.

I'm a big hip-hop fan and IMO the best hip-hop was made 1978 - 1995, Kurtis Blow, Juice Crew, BDP, KMD, EPMD, UltraMagnetic MC's, Slick Rick and the east coast 'golden age' around 1994-1995. There was so much quality material released around that time that i am still discovering parts of it. But I still have fun sorting through the mountains of recent crap to find a few gems.

Also listen to old bands like Led Zep, Hendrix, etc., as well all sorts of Jazz fairly regularly.

Edited by gromit

Slick Rick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt-ZE3OtKH0

La-di-da-di, we like to party

We don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody

We're, just some men that's on the mic

And when we rock upon the mic we rock the mic RIGHT

For all of y'all, keep y'all in health

Just to see you smile and enjoy yourself

Cause it's cool when you cause a cozy conditioning

Which we create, cause that's our mission

So listen, to what we say

Because this type of shit happens everyday

I woke up around ten o'clock in the morning

I gave myself a stretch up, a morning yawn and

Went to the bathroom to wash up

Put some soap on my face and my hand upon a cup, said

Mirror mirror on the wall

Who is the top choice of them all

there was a rumble tumble, five minutes it lasted

the mirror said, "You are you conceited bastard!"

Bring on the Jazz too. Since I moved I also changed ISP and my new one lets me hit up ABC radio/tv for free online all day so as soon as I get home from work I generally chuck on abc jazz as the soundtrack for dinner.

Edited by apothecary

one of the last albums i bought was an album of medievil & bulgarian music LOL.

music is just music & music from all era's can be interesting. crayZ in your reasoning, you would have to only listen to original music played live as any music which is recorded was done in the past so by listening to it you wouldn't be in the present....

on the other hand if you're some kind of neo hippy & you listen to 60's & 70's music as though it were contemporary & you wished you were living in the 60's or something then that may be a bit weird. IMO enjoyment of music from different era's has to be enjoyed in context. it helps if you listen to it with an ear for the cultural context from which it came & judge it accordingly, for example the beatles may sound very clique & dated to many people these days, but thats probably because we've all been brought up with pop music which is a direct spawn of the beatles & such bands & all these contemporary pop bands do the beatles style of pop really badly, so our perception of the beatles sound has been warped. however if you listen to the beatles with an ear for the context it came from & realize that back then it was very much a new pop sound you get a much better perspective on it & much more appreciation for it..... i hope you catch my drift....

that said, in my opinion, any true art of truly good music is timeless & it doesn't matter how old it is it will always have something to teach you or give you. i think if you limit yourself to contemporary music only you are severely limiting your self as lets face it, most contemporary music sux balls no?

also, history is very important & all contemporary music is directly related to music from the past & all styles & eras are linked & influence by eachother. i think it's important to know your roots & if you're a musician imo it's extremely important to be well listened in all styles from all of history.

but...

it's extremely important to stay in the moment & be spontaneous when creating music & express yourself truly, not just copy something else from the past. IMO all the true art & music which does have that quality of timelessness also has that quality of originality & spontaneous expression

:lol: When the title said 'old music' I thought you meant, well... old!

I like Lightnin' Hopkins and Leadbelly and Ma Rainey and Jesse Fuller and Blind Willie Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Blake, etc, etc.

And yes I also like middle age stuff like Pink Floyd and Janis. And newfangled stuff like Eek A Mouse and Gogol Bordello.

I'm with Paradox, restricting myself to one era or style would be like trying to live on plain oatmeal. Every era has important things to say, you just have to learn how to understand how they say it.

As much as I luv Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Neil Young etc and other classic artists, I really don't listen to their music anymore despite having entire collections on CD.

i know what you mean, theres only so many times you can listen to the same stuff over & over again

maybe you can expand your collection & find some 'new' 'old' music :)

Auxin, shit yeah ledbelly & the old-school blues & folk artists of that era are amazing. some of the field recording albums which allen lomax recorded in southern USA are incredible! i've recently been lucky enough to listen to a whole vinyl collection of these which include albums of black convicts recorded in prison & records of actual ex-slaves & raw heartfelt depression era hill billy folk records & such things. amazing stuff!

well at the risk of being forever labelled a bogan, i have secretly been listening to some cold chisel of late!!! burnt a few onto my ipod from my bro in laws remasted cd. i think the songs where exceptionally well produced (well the remastered stuff anyway)

i love the song flame treesm and breakfast at sweethearts lol kind of gives you an image of inner sydney back in the 70's. ive heard a cover on triple J by some lady(flame trees), she covers it really well. it goes down as my secret shame right next to George Michael!

go Barnesy!!! (oh my gawd)

but yeah love the beachboys, bit of elvis, jonny cash,joplin (yay sina), cast stevens ,dylan, zappa etc etc etc could go on and on.

but yeah been really appreciating Cold Chisel of late.

i think i should hand my sab membership in now lol

edit- was thinking, i really just listen to what sounds good, i dont search out any genres or worry about when it was made. if it sounds good, ill listen !

Edited by incognito

^flame trees - by Sarah Blasko - an almighty cover I agree.

perhaps I should clarify, I do occasionally put on an 'old' (its all relative) album. most recently I re-discovered Devo Q: Are we not men?... and Duty Now For the Future and realised why I luvved those guys so much as a teenager. I still play Little Feat's stuff occasionally- I particularly luv Lowell Georges voice (and have recently heard his daughter in the Bird and The Bee). I haven't rigged up my turntable tho - so my records are simply collecting dust.

i mostly listen to old music. i don't find new music very challenging or interesting.. at least popular music anyway..it's all become generic. there are quite a few current groups pushing boundaries (tool, mars volta, mastodon) and a you can tell a lot of them are inspired by classic rock. i'm big fan of zeppelin, pink floyd, hendrix, velvet underground, beatles, king crimson, beach boys etc. rock music seemed so innovative in the 60s and 70s not afraid to experiment or attempt to create masterpieces, not afraid to challenge their audiences. less about image and marketing and selling records and more about creating art.

i go through phases though, it's not all retro stuff. must have been all the weed i smoked as a teenager but i tell you there is nothing like putting the needle down on a record player and sitting down looking at the artwork. i love records and really lament the shift to digital. sure ipods are really convienient and handy but i feel they cheapen the music a little. to me albums should take you on a journey, they are things that should be listened to start to finish and appreciated as a whole. not things to chop to bits and listen to on shuffle. then again thats just my tastes.

don't worry incog, i've got quite a few secret groups that i like. chisel are one of them, along with 70s elton john, yes, cheap trick and boston. i know it's not cool but i just can't help it.

Edited by holymountain

i mostly listen to old music. i don't find new music very challenging or interesting.. at least popular music anyway..it's all become generic. there are quite a few current groups pushing boundaries (tool, mars volta, mastodon) and a you can tell a lot of them are inspired by classic rock. i'm big fan of zeppelin, pink floyd, hendrix, velvet underground, beatles, king crimson, beach boys etc. rock music seemed so innovative in the 60s and 70s not afraid to experiment or attempt to create masterpieces, not afraid to challenge their audiences. less about image and marketing and selling records and more about creating art.

i go through phases though, it's not all retro stuff. must have been all the weed i smoked as a teenager but i tell you there is nothing like putting the needle down on a record player and sitting down looking at the artwork. i love records and really lament the shift to digital. sure ipods are really convienient and handy but i feel they cheapen the music a little. to me albums should take you on a journey, they are things that should be listened to start to finish and appreciated as a whole. not things to chop to bits and listen to on shuffle. then again thats just my tastes.

don't worry incog, i've got quite a few secret groups that i like. chisel are one of them, along with 70s elton john, yes, cheap trick and boston. i know it's not cool but i just can't help it.

geez ive been hearing a certian member on triple j alot lately. :o

geez ive been hearing a certian member on triple j alot lately. :o

Yeah they where band of the week recently on JJJ....they are pretty damn good and I know HM and he is a lover of what you might calla collector and huge lover of "fine psychedelic art"...and I agree one hundred percent that digital has take the warmth out of music and it's now just binary crunching...it suits electronic music but band stuff is always going to sound better on tape or vinyl...old mono compression to tape..that feel that warmth and crackle and hiss is all part of a time when as HM says band played for the art not the dollars or the gimmicks...pop music today is like some cheesy new cereal item on the shelves of Woolies...all sugar and nasty and leaves you feeling unsatisfied.

Bring back more vinyl and don't ever underestimate listening to old tracks on tape...listening to 16 or 24 track recordings on tape is a pleasure most have never experienced..it sounds fucking brilliant.

H.

Bring back more vinyl and don't ever underestimate listening to old tracks on tape...listening to 16 or 24 track recordings on tape is a pleasure most have never experienced..it sounds fucking brilliant.

H.

hell yeah, been listening to a lot of really special albums on vinyl lately & you can't beat it, i've downloaded a few of these albums as mp3's & they just sound so much worse... even uncompressed cd's just don't really cut it anymore. theres something about the rawness of vinyl, theres just so much more there that you don't get with digital. i've been converted ;)

Edited by Paradox

Ill listen to most of the good old skool music with smiler tastes to hunab alot of punk & skin (pistols, uk subs, 999, the firm, slaughter & the dogs) 2 tone, ska (the specials, Madness) to some good kiwi bands like sticky filth, toy love all the way to billey fields & air supply :slap:

Alot of 70s 80s stuff if its good i will listen to it, im playing the dammed at the moment, & some birthday party B4 that

Next ill play some crazy raw Aussie bogan drunken punk rock some friends & i recorded in the front jam room some yrs ago :lol: (ill try upload a track so u can have a laugh @ it)

can anyone suggest a website to upload your own mp3 tracks to ?

Edited by mac

to me albums should take you on a journey, they are things that should be listened to start to finish and appreciated as a whole. not things to chop to bits and listen to on shuffle.

Amen brother....i think, sadly, the idea of an actual album might be foreign to our kid's kids.

pinkfloyd

Back around 87-88 :scratchhead: i first left home as a teenager i lived in the living room of some friends house on a camp stretcher & then moved into their outside laundry,

Anyhow many a night i lay there wasted & put myself to sleep with pinkfloyd's momentary lapse of reason & the wall albums :bong: ,The Ramones & Spy Vs Spy were staple listening back then & i still listen to them today

Nothing wrong with trying to relive old memory's through music n other vices

Edited by mac

From the Rig Veda Old...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Lyrics here VVVVVVVVVV

Millions of Dead cops
...fark, Hanub i haven't heard ov them in a long time. They were never that big in the UK i doubt many folk in Aus. would have ever heard ov them..

As to the OP, i tend to listen to anything i haven't heard a million times before. I like hearing new sounds, it doesn't have to be modern.

For example "Dark Side of the Moon" has been played to death, but "Atom Heart Mother" might get played as it's still fresh to my ears.

Edited by lsdreamz

I love the classic old stuff in small doses but am more into finding new stuff or artists/genres I have not heard.

If it sounds good to me, I'll listen to it. Crystal singing bowls, Frank Zappa, Melvins, Classical, nature sounds like Rainforest, Psytrance, Tool, Pink Floyd, Funkadelic, Miles Davis, Queens of the Stone Age, Vibration sounds (a new thing I've been listening to after T ST's thread on Schumann Vibrations), Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, Ween, Shpongle... There's not a whole lot of new music I'm really liking as I can't stand emo/fauxpunk/mostrap/countrywestern. Decoder Ring's pretty cool.

My parents listened to a lot of Beatles, Queen, Creedence, Neil Young etc as they were young when they had me so I didn't really hear a lot of pre60s music as a child.

Basically I'll listen to whatever I currently feel like listening to; age makes no difference.

Ah good to see lovers of old school hip hop here!! The "golden era" was something that Im so glad i was a part of. Hit after hit of true genius beats.

A treat for you all, check this blog site

http://www.etalonhiphopblog.com/

Almost all oldskool can be found here, most hosted on free d/l servers. Even tho you might be able to d/l one every 15 min or hour, its worth the wait!!

Oh yeeeeaaaah baby! this site had me seriously hanging to roll a fatty and choof away all night! Awesome.

Old skool will never die!

Enjoy y'all :D