The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nitrogen

USA vs Australian Customs

Can you provide a reference for that? The plant is not mentioned in any federal US legal documents, only Cathinone is banned, and just as with san pedro, morning glory, phalaris, barley, etc. unlisted plants containing regulated substances are only illegal if there is evidence of intent of human use.

I stand corrected Auxin!

Erowid Khat Legal Status

“The DEA considers khat "an illegal plant", but the DEA's views are not law and do not have the force of law. See DEA's 2002 Briefing on Khat for more information on their view of khat. In two entries in the Federal Register, the DEA mentions khat and their view of its legal status, but in the scheduling of cathine and cathinone, the DEA chose both times not to list the plant itself and thus the plant remains in a legal grey area.”

I remember buying the plant years ago from the now defunct outfit JLF poisonous non-consumables. There was also a place out of Florida selling it but as far as I know no online vendors in the U.S. sell it?Despite it being legal Do you know of any that do?

When I visited Australia for a year a few years ago I ordering a few rooted cuttings from SAB since I had no source for it in the U.S. especially the narrow leaf type, gave them to a relative to tend for me.

Edited by Hendry

one thing about sending things from the US to overseas is,

You have to declare the contents on the customs declaration and sign that you swear it to be true under penalty of law.

so theoreticaly,if word ever got back to US Customs that a mis declared package was seized,they could come after the sender.

And that could be bad next time they crossed a border with some "red flag" on their computer that could stay there for years

One way to smuggle cuttings in would be "up the bum"

But be be sure to cut the spines very ,very short first!

one thing about sending things from the US to overseas is,

You have to declare the contents on the customs declaration and sign that you swear it to be true under penalty of law.

so theoreticaly,if word ever got back to US Customs that a mis declared package was seized,they could come after the sender.

And that could be bad next time they crossed a border with some "red flag" on their computer that could stay there for years

that argument doesn't hold water.

A person could use any name & return address they want.

And good luck reading the handwriting on some of the forms.

I think when they opened it after shaking it all over the place from Ca to Oz it would look like the stay puft marshmallow man had diarrhea all over a cactus :PCan you provide a reference for that? The plant is not mentioned in any federal US legal documents, only Cathinone is banned, and just as with san pedro, morning glory, phalaris, barley, etc. unlisted plants containing regulated substances are only illegal if there is evidence of intent of human use.

I never thought of it like that,but yeah w/o intent to use they probably wouldn't prosecute you. Khat seems a little trickier though why don't people sell khat at nurseries, they sell illegal poppies occasionally is it because fear of the authorities? People have been gotten into trouble for having lots of dry leaves and bundles of fresh leaves, if you had a bunch of cactus cuts though you could probably get away saying they are to be planted.

LOL...I'm quite sure the scanner that screens the luggage would see it..it would look wierd on the screen like perhaps a bomb would inside a cake.

no it would not work...

your best bet is to launch the cactus into outer space and wait for Australia to be right underneath it as the earth orbits and wait for it fall out of the sky....hold out your arms and catch it...remember to wear gloves they have spines remember ...you could get pricked.... :)

H.

rofl...i forgot about x ray machines

maybe wrap it in clay and make little clay spines and declare it a cactus sculpture? ahahahaha :lol:

why don't people sell khat at nurseries, they sell illegal poppies occasionally is it because fear of the authorities?
Its because of supply and demand and availability. Poppies are extremely common and often grown as ornamentals so people sell them. A local childrens play area here even has a few opium poppies growing :lol: Khat is one of those rare scarcely known plants they would have no reason to grow even if they knew about it, like guggul or Ilex guayusa, useful but meaningless in western culture.
maybe wrap it in clay and make little clay spines and declare it a cactus sculpture? ahahahaha :lol:
Or coat it in silicone and call it a marital aid, there already is similar :P

Organix-Thick-Jelly.jpg

Edited by Auxin

Khat is one of those rare scarcely known plants they would have no reason to grow even if they knew about it, like guggul or Ilex guayusa, useful but meaningless in western culture.

as an ornamental particularly red leaved variety would make a nice ornamental bush, I see plenty people with useless looking bushes IMO.