The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

PMA in cairns

I thought this might have been posted before, but I can't find it. It will be interesting to keep track of this.

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/04/2...local-news.html

Charged over 'death' drug

Margo Zlotkowski

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

© The Cairns Post

A CAIRNS man will stand trial for allegedly setting up Queensland's first home laboratory of a deadly synthetic drug said to be five times more powerful than "ice" amphetamine.

Cairns has yet to record any seizures of PMA (paramethoxyamphetamine) … one of the world’s most dangerous and toxic hallucinogens that is aptly known on the street as Death as it has led to the fatal overdoses of 10 young Australians in the past decade.

Ross John Jorgensen, 41, did not enter a plea in Cairns Magistrates’ Court yesterday to charges of producing PMA or publishing instructions to make amphetamines after a PMA lab was allegedly found in a bedroom of his Mooroobool home on September 25 last year.

He was committed to stand trial in the Cairns Supreme Court on a date to be set.

Other charges, including possessing equipment to make PMA, were adjourned to July 21 for mention.

At the committal hearing yesterday, defence barrister Michael Sumner-Potts argued that the police case was purely

circumstantial.

He said the ingredients and equipment found at Mr Jorgensen’s house were for the legitimate extraction of essential oils from native flowers which Jorgensen sold as arthritis remedies to elderly Aboriginal women.

"They have a case of suspicion," Mr Sumner-Potts said.

He said no PMA or residue of the drug had been found on the premises.

But police prosecutor Peter Krebs described the defence’s claims as "a smokescreen."

"We do not have any essential oils found in his residence, there were no wildflowers or anything of the sort, no books about wildflowers or distilling essential oils or homeopathy books that would give some corroboration to that assertion," Mr Krebs said.

By contrast, he said police found "a substantial sophisticated laboratory" with all the chemicals and glasswear needed for making PMA, as well as four books on how to manufacture amphetamines and other instructions downloaded from the internet about making drugs without using "suspect chemicals".

Mr Jorgensen is alleged to have used anethole, a main constituent of aniseed oil, as a precursor to making PMA. The main ingredient in most home methamphetamine labs is pseudoephedrine, found in cold and flu tablets.

Giving evidence at the hearing, Brisbane chemistry expert Dr Peter Culshaw said he had never before seen Mr Jorgensen’s alleged manufacture process using aniseed oil so he did his own experiments and found the method to be "viable."

• Like 1

expert Dr Peter Culshaw said he had never before seen Mr Jorgensen’s alleged manufacture process using aniseed oil so he did his own experiments and found the method to be "viable."

interesting plenty of aniseed plants growing wild for extraction i guess ?

Edited by mac

That article has more holes and anecdotal hearsay it's not even funny. Why would one person set up a homelab to make nothing but pma? There's the potential in any home with the internet, pyrex baking dish, cleaning fluids and cold and flu tablets to be set up as an "ice lab" but it doesn't mean that's what they were going to do. Scary to say the least.

having synth books, anethole and glassware is enough to get convicted. and to be honest if you have those things it's pretty hard to think that making PMA was NOT the aim.

Many chem noobs use anethole to practice their propenylbenzene route on as it is cheap and easy to get. So, while he may not have intended to flood the market with PMA, he was probably at least trying to make it to get the synth right for the day when some isosafrole falls in his lap.

or may have been using it for route to any 2CX compound or even DOX compounds, anethole doesent immediately mean PMA was the target molecule. Either way though, still illegal. :P

illegal, psychedelic and juicy! :shroomer:

The way Australia is going, many essential oils will be PACIA List 1 in no time and distilling your own EO will be illegal ! Increasingly loosing our rights, if the government EVER bans personal beer brewing, its on...

Isn't camphor a introduced exotic that has become a problem in some parts of Australia? i reckon this trees bark and leaves have an interesting smell, would be interesting to get some to make some nice burner oils.

b

Edited by botanicalSEEKER

Essential oils contain lots of allyl and propenyl benzenes which can be used (by experienced chemists) to produce

great phenylethylamines... X'ish substances better than safrole X, & kick arse uppers too.

Apiole's a good 1... :wink:

Increasingly loosing our rights, if the government EVER bans personal beer brewing, its on...

b

Well making your own sprirts is illegal (isn't it?)

In some states distilling your own hooch is illegal, in others its perfectly legal. Its legal to own a still even if its illegal to distill spirits, you must only distill essential oils etc etc.

b

The way Australia is going, many essential oils will be PACIA List 1 in no time and distilling your own EO will be illegal

It's interesting to note that no attempt was made by PACIA to list anethole as a precursor to my knowledge (due to its extensive use in food and beverage). Some state governments have listed it as a proposed amendment for their State Acts but I was unaware that this was in place.

Eugenol (Oil of Cloves) however has been listed by PACIA for some time...

By listing these "precursors" it would make EO sales highly regulated. The days are coming when buying clove oil will require a EUD. Times are changing, the age of personal scientific endeavor is over.

b

Times are changing, the age of personal scientific endeavor is over.

correction: the times of LEGAL personal scientific endeavor is over B)

In some states distilling your own hooch is illegal, in others its perfectly legal. Its legal to own a still even if its illegal to distill spirits, you must only distill essential oils etc etc.

WRONG! Distillation of ethanol is covered under federal customs and excise legislation and administered by the ATO. It is NOT legal to distill acohol in ANY state in Australia without a license!

It is however legal to own a still up to 5L without registering it as long as it is not used to distill ethanol.

My bad Torsten, thanks for correcting me. Its wierd that you can own stills but cannot legally distill alcohol, WIERD! Especially when brew shops that cater for wine, spirits, beer makers sell them aswell as spirit flavorings etc etc .

wierd i say wierd.

take it eze

b

Saw this topic and thought it relevant. A bust took place in WA today I think in which they seized a reportedly large amount of PMA containing tablets. Just a heads up to to WA'ers out there don't take more than 5 pills at a time incase it's these ok hehe

"WEST Australian police warn that a batch of potentially lethal drugs being sold as ecstasy could be circulating on Perth streets.

They say the small beige pills being passed off as the popular party drug are in fact tablets of PMA, or paramethoxy-amphetamine (PMA).

Drug users have been warned PMA causes the body to overheat and has been linked to deaths.

Police said they discovered about 1000 of the pills at a property in Cooloongup, about 50km south of Perth, on August 13.

Lab tests revealed their content and police are concerned there may be more in circulation.

"WEST Australian police warn that a batch of potentially lethal drugs being sold as ecstasy could be circulating on Perth streets.

They say the small beige pills being passed off as the popular party drug are in fact tablets of PMA, or paramethoxy-amphetamine (PMA).

Drug users have been warned PMA causes the body to overheat and has been linked to deaths.

Police said they discovered about 1000 of the pills at a property in Cooloongup, about 50km south of Perth, on August 13.

Lab tests revealed their content and police are concerned there may be more in circulation.

Wah! I live near there. Does anyone know what pma tastes like?

it tastes like pma....sorry staunchy i couldnt resist :lol: they just dont make them like they used to huh, coolbelup hey : i have a friend that grew up there and says it was a pretty hardcore area, much like the KGB north of the river if you have heard of or remember that. However to any readers out there who dont know much about para-methoxyamphetamine it does not hurt to at least be informed, the following link has some basic information which might be helpful.

http://aod.casa.gov.au/aod/health_information/pma.html

good luck

no idea about taste, perhaps one of the reagents available for pill testing shows it up. i cant remember but im sure the information would be around on bluelight

During the showing on the news reports, for the latest bust, the pills appeared light green in colour with the mitsubishi logo imprinted.

PMA is scary stuff, dosage curve is similar to that of GHB. Chances are these pills have been on the market for ages, and only now they have been reported due to this bust. Unkle staunch, my advice is to stay clear, with these rounds there is much potential for misuse.

b

think green mitsubishis were from adelaide a few years back....the ones that first made the issue public in the media....pma has been popping up in s oz every few years since them.

t s t .

think green mitsubishis were from adelaide a few years back.

they were in the news in 2006 they were everywhere from Queensland to W.A, but it was all a beat up; there was nothing wrong w/the pills except they were stronger than usual.

therefore they spawned a whole heap ov copies.

http://www.pillreports.com/index.php?page=...d=2983#comments

They were indeed, some of the nicest ever...

There was some PMA released in SA around that time though, I remeber they found one of/the lab/s.