The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
santiago

Isolation tanks

There really does not seem to be much Australian information on Isolation Tanks. From all read accounts they seem to be extremely popular with a lot of people. The following info is just quickly jotted from my brain but was John Lilly one of the first to make it known to the mainstream. Basically a tank is filled with water and then saturated with epsom salts whilst you are then enclosed so it is pitch black, your naked and have ear plugs put in your ears to block sounds. For all intensive purposes you are deprived of your normal senses as you float on top of the water and your connections with the physical world are severed to a degree. After an initial feeling period where the senses get used to this detachment of normality one can start to go into a different realm of consciousness, visions, hallucinations and so on.

In this day and age where we are bombarded by TV, news, cars, noise, moblie phones, jobs, finances and lots of false stimulis (not to say the previous are false but i hope you get my drift) i personally think it would be great if for just an hour a day or per week this was available to do. You can buy them from overseas but a cheapo is about 5k, what i can find on google anyway. I am totally suprised that some commercial venture has not made a 'shop' of these where you can just pay and go and use. Is it just to wacky a thought for most people to go and use. There are shop setups all around the world, is there any in Australia? does anybody have one at home or just any experience with them homemade or overseas?

Edited by santiago

I wonder if faustus is still using it and its working and how in general as a long term experiment it has worked. Thank you for the link up Alchemist i did search for isolation but nothing came up. It seems a lot of people on that particular thread link were sceptical, possibly you cant blame them, however untried i am convinced i want i want i want or at least to try. It seems in 2005 Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney had some centres up and running.

There really does not seem to be much Australian information on Isolation Tanks. From all read accounts they seem to be extremely popular with a lot of people. The following info is just quickly jotted from my brain but was John Lilly one of the first to make it known to the mainstream. Basically a tank is filled with water and then saturated with epsom salts whilst you are then enclosed so it is pitch black, your naked and have ear plugs put in your ears to block sounds. For all intensive purposes you are deprived of your normal senses as you float on top of the water and your connections with the physical world are severed to a degree. After an initial feeling period where the senses get used to this detachment of normality one can start to go into a different realm of consciousness, visions, hallucinations and so on.

In this day and age where we are bombarded by TV, news, cars, noise, moblie phones, jobs, finances and lots of false stimulis (not to say the previous are false but i hope you get my drift) i personally think it would be great if for just an hour a day or per week this was available to do. You can buy them from overseas but a cheapo is about 5k, what i can find on google anyway. I am totally suprised that some commercial venture has not made a 'shop' of these where you can just pay and go and use. Is it just to wacky a thought for most people to go and use. There are shop setups all around the world, is there any in Australia? does anybody have one at home or just any experience with them homemade or overseas?

There have been several flotation tanks here in Sydney over the years, currently there is one at Bondi Junction Massage & Float Centre, which is located at 1st Floor Royal Arcade, 175-181 Oxford St. Ph: (02) 9387 7355.

Peace

There have been several flotation tanks here in Sydney over the years, currently there is one at Bondi Junction Massage & Float Centre, which is located at 1st Floor Royal Arcade, 175-181 Oxford St. Ph: (02) 9387 7355.

Peace

I reckon they're gay.

A couple of bowls would suit me better, any day.

It just doesnt feel all that special, or 'isolating' to me. I think a hike through the bush or desert switches me on much nicer.

Edited by G*P

they used to give free floats as part of treatment for heroin addiction in adelaide.

someone i knew then would take his done then head for the tank .he said he could feel it come on in the tank and was pretty impressed with the experience.....did it every week for a while.

t s t .

I think there's a float tank at Osho's house in Byron Bay.

Would a float tank be the same as an isolation tank?

I think there's a float tank at Osho's house in Byron Bay.

Would a float tank be the same as an isolation tank?

Hmm..

Maybe not. Im certain that I was in float tank.. and they claimed it was isolation.. but the waves and splash of the salty water was enough to prefer a nice walk, for me.

dunno about real tank, but a warm bath feels very right. linked witgh many things. you can float in there too u'know, especially if your bath's big enough... and it comes more handy and more isolated: in your home. you can make some special atmosphere in the bath, just take care with any electrical equipment :)

have you seen movie altered states ?