The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderIdeal

pf cake gone wrong? or not?

i found this photo on the internet.

post-3543-1243394873_thumb.jpg

it's probably a no-brainer but i'm just curious.... the yellow shit is bad right?

yellow_shit.jpg

yellow_shit.jpg

i found this photo on the internet.

post-3543-1243394873_thumb.jpg

it's probably a no-brainer but i'm just curious.... the yellow shit is bad right?

I'm not really all that experienced with the whole shroom thing but yeah i think you may have cause for concern think that sucks if its contaminated thats the whole cake gone wonder if everything was sterilised properly ?

Nah, just looks like it's been there a little while. Some species will discolour over a period of time, but it could also be mung stuff... Looks like it is pretty well colonised. I would be pretty sure the bloke on the net who posted this would've just crumbled it, cased, and waited for his fruits to pop up... ;)

Contaminated totally...probably just due to being to wet or unsterile procedures...open the lid you will smell it and it will stink...bury it in the garden is the best thing to do and start again.

H.

Contaminated totally...probably just due to being to wet or unsterile procedures...open the lid you will smell it and it will stink...bury it in the garden is the best thing to do and start again.

H.

Might be surprised - i've seen similar pics that the owners have ended up fruiting fine - the myc just overpowered the 'shitty' bit under the casing and all was good...

Might be surprised - i've seen similar pics that the owners have ended up fruiting fine - the myc just overpowered the 'shitty' bit under the casing and all was good...

yeah but any contaminate can affect the mycelium and therefore contaminate the fruit also, the question is do you want to risk it ??? Considering many moulds etc can be highly toxic personally i would follow hunabs advice and start from scratch

That cake looks like a BRF cake and it's likely the rice flour is the culprit of contamination through too much moisture or non sterile issues..I can't say for sure as the picture is very cryptic and it's slightly blurry....I have seen myc win a battle with a small patch of trich but that myc was especially strong but in the end there was only one flush...which was strange...but I still say it's contam'd ....we will never know unless we track down the masked bandit who's cake it is and get him to open the jar... :wink:

H.

Dude, Like others have said...........smell it. You WILL know if its contams.

If you didn't make a glove box, do so, I have seen people maintain

an incredibly good success rate with a glove box alone.

Keep rollin!

i spoke to the guy and he's had shit luck of late, beginning with a purchase of several bags of vermiculite that ended up being very fine (there is no indication of grade on the bags, which sucks). without the correct grade of vermiculite his usual method of adding the right amount of water was seemingly inaccurate.

the cakes have been colonising very slowly if at all but that's the only one with signs of contamination. it's BRF.

he thought maybe the discolouration was possibly caused by something else but as it's contaminated it's going in the bin.

i've noticed jars colonising much slower now that it's getting colder so that could be the reason for the slow colonisation.

at the moment i've got a few jars that have been fully colonised for some weeks now. haven't had a chance to move forward with them. some of them have shown orange kind of spots. yet these spots haven't spread and the myc is still looking very healthy. guess we'll know when i give them a whiff.

gilligan mentioned the photo looked like the jars had been there for a while? anyone else had experience with jars left for ages before moving to the fruiting stage? what is likely to happen if you leave them for a long time?

i've noticed jars colonising much slower now that it's getting colder so that could be the reason for the slow colonisation.

Loads of warmer spots around the house... assuming some have indoor setups. Most appliances generate a fair bit of heat - fridge, plasma/lcd/amplifiers, computers etc.

they can start fruiting in the jars (i mean more than just pinheads) but that might be dependent on some exposure to sunlight.

i spoke to the guy and he's had shit luck of late, beginning with a purchase of several bags of vermiculite that ended up being very fine (there is no indication of grade on the bags, which sucks). without the correct grade of vermiculite his usual method of adding the right amount of water was seemingly inaccurate.

the cakes have been colonising very slowly if at all but that's the only one with signs of contamination. it's BRF.

he thought maybe the discolouration was possibly caused by something else but as it's contaminated it's going in the bin.

solution 1: use WBS instead of BRF..it's easier and chaeper and better full stop....unless you want to fruit off cakes...then I spose BRF cakes are the go.

If a jar is left too long a couple of things can happen..the myc piss can start to contaminate and sour the jar off or if there is actually enough gas exchange some jars will actually start producing fruits inside...I've seen jars that are %80 colonised and scooped out the colonised goods and throw the rest without any probs but that was 1 jar out of 12 as it had completely stalled.

Contams are part of the learning curve of mycology...I don't think there is a single grower who hasn't come across them many times...it can get extremely frustrating so you have to reverse engineer what you did and look at where the mistake may have taken place....just be vigilant and DON"T TAKE ANY SHORT CUTS ....that's the golden rule...there are none in mushroom cultivation...it's quite a bit of work and you have to be precise and vigilant.....remember most contams take place in the first stages through non sterile syringes, water, seed, and jars...boiling does not count as sterilising IMO...you have to pressure cook and you have to use new sterile syringes for every new batch of inoculations of jars....Use gloved hands and wipe the gloves in alcohol wipes or watered down bleach solution...be quick and do your work in a room without carpet and close any windows and doors to the room...bathrooms can be good places to do jars as they are mostly tile and have extraction fans...sometimes....other wise work over the stove on a cookie cooling tray over a oven ring turned on warm so the air is constantly rising so contams don't float into your jars...remember also when you open a jar you create a vacuum of air that rushes in....see what I mean about being vigilant...you have to think about air flow constantly.... :wink:

H.

the yellow shit is bad right?

Yeah, looks bad, but hard to tell from the pic, it could just be a hollow in the cake that has formed a small patch of moisture.

You may be lucky but unfortunately I doubt it. Keep trying, and above all else keep it clean, real clean.

beginning with a purchase of several bags of vermiculite that ended up being very fine (there is no indication of grade on the bags, which sucks)

vermiculite.gif

This is the stuff, available from most Bunnings about $6 a bag.

hiya. i think it looks fine. it's probably small formations (i.e. fruit bodies) squishing up against glass- result of not birthing the cake soon enough. you will see the myc bruising to an ochre-colour and sometimes a yellowish liquid if they're left in there way too long. it can still be fruited fine.

take note of the smell just in case. i find if it smells deep and mushroomy in a good way then they're probably fine. gauge your gut reaction when u smell it: if its an earthy satisfaction (akin to self fart-smelling) they're ok; if it's a tangy or bitey or offensive at all, it's probably your brain breaking the news that you have to get back in the kitchen again.

thanks for the input bloke but i'm told the majority of the cake was binned, with an attempt to fruit a tiny part of it separately. yellow funk grew all over it.