The Corroboree
Chiral

Film and movie reviews

I've searched through the search engine and there are other threads about favourite ethno related films and favourite drug films but I want to start a thread about any sort of films you have seen lately and tell us what you thought of it...you see in winter I tend to watch a lot of movies and have all ready over the last few weeks watched

The matrix trilogy again..

Constantine

AVP and AVP2

Predator 1 and predator 2

Goodfellas

Spun

last week I watched ...

The new version of the day the Earth stood still...I thought it was pretty cool....nice effects and a half decent story about an alien race wanting to eliminating humans so that the earth could heal it's self...acting was a little boring with Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connolly...still worth a watch.

But the movie that has blown my mind to smithereens was Apocalypto...I know its been out for ages but I had never seen it and.... damn, hell, shit, fuck !!!!...that was some shit hot film..brutal, fast paced, emotional, dramatic and with absolutely no special effects made it a serious pleasure to watch...this film I can recommend to anyone...simply stunning...particularly the makeup and hair and tattooing was bizarre and excellent.

so if you have seen something cool lately let us know if it was shit hot or not worth it and a brief run down if you want.

The thread may peeter out but it's cool cause I'll be watching heaps more films while the foul weather is around and I'll dump some mini reviews here for people to see.

H.

one of my top favourite movies is "garden state" its got the guy from scrubs and he is coming off of 15 or so years of lithium.

awesome film

also "into the wild" a guy breaking away from society to live in wild alaska. and learning to survive on his surroundings

Edited by spudamore

Yeah man garden state is awesome...such a well filmed movie..has this real soft feel about it, I loved it and watched it like 3 times in a weekend once with the missus...really liked it a lot.

Into the wild ...I'll have to check that one out ...sounds kinda cool seeing as how I've always wanted to do that....break away from society that is...

cool thanks spud.

H.

Just watched this movie called 'Human Traffic'

Its basically just the story of these kids goin out for a night on the pills and just goes through the whole night comedown and all.... I recon the comedown part is the most realistic portrayal of coming down from a night like that I've ever seen.

I thought it was a pretty cool movie anyway, sort of along the lines of skins.

Peace

Edited by Hunab Ku

not much of a movie watcher myself,

however i was over at my sis' place and they where watching "Into the Wild".

ts a story of a uni graduate who decides all he has learnt isnt worth much spiritually(from what i gathered from the flick) and heads out into the wilds of America to 'live'. Apparently its a true story, had me all teary on numerous occasions, and ive never done that in a movie.

oh and it has a beautiful soundtrack, composed by no other than my first HUGE crush, Eddie Vedder!!! :wub:

some awesome songs on it, downloading the soundtrack now, Eddie sounds his best when its just him and a ukelele i rekon.

edit-spoiler removed lol thanks ninja.

ps hafta say it again= how mad is Eddie Vedder on a Ukelele?

I love watching movies during the 'come up'..

Sometimes the movies themselves arn't really about entheogenics, but they have a real psychedelic sensibility none the less. These are the kinds of films I would love to hear more about. Films that are great while you are in that space. I love watching foreign films in that space too.. I feel you can really get inside other cultures when you have let go of your ego.

For anyone who hasn't had the delight of seeing this yet - I highly recommend:

The Fall

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/

Directed by Tarsem Singh (of 'The Cell' fame).

This movie is such an awesome ride! The cinematography is absolutely amazing. Each of the landscapes in the film exists in real life - shot all over the world. Great in High Definition if you have the gear. It's my favourite oomshrae film so far. Has been knocked by the straight assed Hollywood folk, because it doesn't conform to their standards in any way. It is simply a beautiful work of art. It will warm your heart and break it. It is a montage of beauty, courage, death and rebirth. Perfect for unwinding that ego..

If you want to go deep, and into dark territory:

Requiem for a Dream

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/

Directed by Darren Aronofsky

Most people in this scene I would imagine have seen this film at some stage. However have you seen it whilst 'affected'? I can highly recommend dosing a nice big wad of elf umbrellas and then straight away kicking back to watch this film. The film will descend as you descend. It's really something else if you do it that way!

A much 'lighter' film by the same director:

The Fountain

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414993/

Directed by Darren Aronofksy

Another film that will break your heart. Kind of hard to hang onto the plot, but that's kind of the point. You really have to read the graphic novel if you want to understand this films message completely. Again rebirth is a strong theme here, which is why I highly recommend it for those transcendent 'journeys'. Ideally, I would recommend reading the graphic novel first - straight, to plant the seed. Then maybe after enough time for the details of the story to have faded, load up and kick back.. Still a great film either way though. Lots of beautiful cinematography - great in HD.

Has anyone seen 'Baraka' whilst travelling? I haven't seen this film yet - but I read the Blu-ray review recently, and it sounds like it would be perfect for that kind of experience. I think it will be the next one I check out.

Baraka I can highly recommend..I haven't seen it for several years but it's a great piece of cinematography...a must see for anyone.

thanks for the heads up on those other ones...I'll have something to chase up now as it's hard to find anything new these days.

H.

perhaps pin this thread?

haven't seen them recently, but can't recommend them enough.

waking life -- seen it 10+ times, and it's still brilliant.

being john malkovich -- clever humour, and i really think it was inspired by both k and remote viewing.

these days i've been watching a lot of docos. it's been a while since i last saw a film that stood out. some good docos:

religulous -- clever criticism of organised religion, hosted by bill maher.

my kid could paint that -- about a young girl who becomes a famed abstract artist. calls into question the definition of "art"

dark days -- VERY DEPRESSING, but worth watching once. about a group of homeless people who live in an abandoned underground train line

bigger, stronger, faster -- about use of steroids and our obsession with being better than our own biology will allow.

predator 2

LOL this is one of my fave action films of all time! i think what i like about it is that the predator is a ruthless bad ass but also demonstrates a sense of values e.g. doesn't kill the pregnant chick, and right at the end they don't kill danny glover because he's proven himself in the battlefield.

another film where the sequel is better than the original: robocop 2 :P

'Welcome to Woop-Woop' is a good comedy...

That movie is brilliant! I loved that movie so much.. I reckon it has been long enough now that I could appreciate watching that again.

Nurse - "What are you two yappin' about?"

Mackenzie - "We're talking about our ability to go forward in time, to go into the future. That is what we're talking about here, right?"

Starks - "Yeah, it is."

Nurse - "You know something? You're two fucking freaks is what you are"

another film where the sequel is better than the original: robocop 2 :P

Whoa! I wouldn't go that far! Robocop is one of the greatest films of all time! Robocop 2 - it's a disaster. It's watchable by my standards, but it isn't anywhere near as brilliant as the original (in my mind :)).

Maybe you were joking? you were right? :unsure:

haha

Anyway - seeing as Robocop and Darren Aronofsky have both found their way into the same thread - what hope do you guys have for the Robocop reboot? I love Aronofsky's work, but I am a little cautious. Reboots seem to be all the rage lately, but Robocop just has such a soft spot in my heart. It would have to be one hell of a unique undertaking to not interfere with that memory!

is one of the greatest films of all time! Robocop 2 - it's a disaster.

LOL i don't care what you think, i stick by original claim.

creating a new robocop from the brain of a psychopath drug lord who's hooked on a highly addictive drug called nuke, and using his addiction as a motivator to make arrests -- hollywood at its finest my friend!

now giving robocop a jet pack, as they did in robocop 3: complete nonsense, and i won't have a bar of it.

if ya haven't already you have to see a movie called "Blueberry"... brilliant...

The same film is also called Renegade..pretty good and well worth a watch..even though the Aya scene is a little over done the way it's filmed is very creative.

H.

whoa this thread suddenly has some substance thanks for all those unheard of films up there^^ guys.

One of my all time favourite movies is "Donnie Darko." Others have been mentioned already. "Into the Wild" is amazing.

Donnie Darko is about a guy that has schizophrenia, and has recently started taking med for the condition. He is sort of in another world all the time, makes friends with an imaginary guy in a giant horror themed rabbit suit and believes the world is going to end very soon. Haha, sounds a bit hectic when you say it like that.

Anyway, it's a really great movie. Very emotional IMO.

Perfume

...or anything by Tom Tykwer

Also really looking foward to Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

Edited by gromit

The Quick and the dead...love that film watched soooooo many times...still a classic.

Christianna F....the story of a German teenage girls addiction to heroine and her demise...soundtrack with David Bowie including that awesome track Heroes...a great film despite being quite old.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

im sure some of you may know of it but after UTFSE

I recommend Naked Lunch,1991,David Cronenberg

you gotta be in the rite head space to fully understand where the director or novelist is coming from with this film so i also recommend you must watch it with your friend Sid or one of his relations,

Its a older movie based on a novel by William S Burroughs, (without sid or his friends the movie is a little strange) a little info about Burroughs as his wiki bio makes a good read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Burroughs

William Seward Burroughs II (February 5, 1914(1914-02-05) – August 2, 1997; pronounced /ˈbʌroʊz/) was an American novelist, essayist, social critic, painter and spoken word performer. Much of Burroughs's work is semi-autobiographical, drawn from his experiences as an opiate addict, a condition that marked the last fifty years of his life
After leaving Mexico, Burroughs drifted through South America for several months, looking for a drug called Yagé, which promised the user telepathy. A book, composed of letters between Burroughs and Ginsberg, The Yage Letters, was published in 1963 by City Lights Books.
Under the strong influence of a Heroin confection known as majoun and a German-made opioid called Eukodol, Burroughs settled in to write. Eventually, Ginsberg and Kerouac, who had traveled to Tangier in 1957, helped Burroughs type, edit, and arrange these episodes into Naked Lunch.[21]
From Wikipedia,

Naked Lunch (1991) is a film adaptation of the novel of the same name by William S. Burroughs, directed by David Cronenberg. The film is a tri-national co-production by film companies of Canada, the U.K., and Japan, featuring Peter Weller as William Lee (Burroughs), Ian Holm, Judy Davis, and Roy Scheider.

Plot summary

William Lee (Burroughs' pseudonym for his first novel, Junky) is an exterminator who finds that his wife is stealing his insecticide for recreational purposes. When Lee is arrested by the police, he believes himself hallucinating because of bug powder exposure. Lee believes himself a secret agent, and Lee's controller (a giant bug) assigns him the mission of killing his wife, Joan Lee, who is, according to the bug, an agent of an organization called Interzone Incorporated. Dismissing the bug and its instructions, Lee returns home to find his wife sleeping with Hank, one of his writer friends. He soon shoots her while performing a William Tell routine.

Having "accomplished" his "mission", Lee flees to Interzone, where the Interzone Incorporated organization is based, and spends his time writing reports on his mission, which become the book Naked Lunch. While in Interzone, the typewriters Lee uses are themselves living creatures, usually giving Lee advice on his mission. Clark Nova, one of Lee's typewriters, tells him to find Doctor Benway, by means of seducing Joan Frost who is a doppelgänger of his dead wife, Joan Lee.

After finding out that Doctor Benway is the head of a narcotic harvesting operation, producing a drug called, "the black meat," derived from the guts of giant caterpillars. Lee completes his report and flees Interzone to Annexia with Joan Frost. Upon meeting the Annexian border patrol, to prove that he is a writer as he claims, he shoots Joan Frost in the head, in the same manner that he shot his late wife, Joan Lee. After seeing this, the border patrol welcomes Lee to Annexia

A stream link that may work for US members http://www.hulu.com/watch/15520/naked-lunch aussie members will find it as a torrent or may still find it at the video store

some clips on you tube but they don't do the movie justice

Edited by mac