The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kitty

Kratom reaction with Tobacco

I noticed recently that smoking tobacco while under the influence of kratom appears to cause quite a bit of nausea.

This first appeared one night, after drinking 4 tsp of kratom powder I had a cigarette and no sooner had I finished smoking than I began feeling like I was going to be sick and began dry retching (my stomach was empty).

I decided to test this again yesterday, and repeated the unpleasant effects, this time with only half as much kratom, which didn't make me feel as nauseas.

I thought I'd put this up here so that people would know not to smoke tobacco while on kratom. If anyone knows why this is, I'd be quite interested to find out.

-=kitty=-

is it not just potentiation by the kratom?

i'm not a tobacco smoker...if i do smoke - big time nausea / sweating / poisoned feeling

and i assume this'd be the same for a seasoned smoker who has too many cig's

[ 15. February 2004, 22:04: Message edited by: coin ]

Interesting

I presume you arent aware of earlier posts regarding similar effects for Darklight and myself

Id best describe it for me as a strong tobacco aversion - although when i forced myself i did not find it nauseous - i just didnt want it and even ehne i did i lacked the follow through motivation or drive to actually light up

Darklight can comment more

I believe both our reports were up on Erowid

i got my doubt's if you got the right stuff kitty,

you allways describe, a few spoons tea's action like "a downer".

but, kratom does make you only a little bit drowsy first, and than it's a hyperactive frenzy for 2 hours or more!

thats at least the effects i got from the rifat clone.

maybe very high doses make you sleepy right away,

but even than you should experience sooner or later a feeling saying,

i am so strong, i want to do things and so on, just like "uppers" do.

[ 16. February 2004, 06:48: Message edited by: planthelper ]

Interesting. I guess the best way to find out is to wait until my kratom plant gets bigger, and then try and make myself nauseas after chewing its leaves...

(No, I wasn't aware of your earlier posts reville, guess I should've searched for similar things before I posted. Ah well)

I wasn't aware of the earlier posts either (over the Yule period?), thanks for bringing it to my attention, kitty.

The paper at PubMed that describe the interaction between opioid receptors and nicotine receptors are plentiful and I don't hope to understand them. I think I will keep with the data from empirical observation.

Which means I want to know:

Is the nausea felt in the stomach only or is it queasy in the head as well?

How does the head feel when you are sick.

Does your skin change colour?

planthelper, there is some kratom around at the moment that only requires 2 or 3 g to knock your socks off. it is quite different from the normal kratom and from the plants we have.

re smoking tobacco, I just asked smiling cloud about this and he said that he didn't feel like smoking for about 90mins into the trip, but then smoked every few minutes (as normal). he felt no nausea.

Theo,

The nausea, as well as I can recall, is only felt in the stomach, but was accompanied (both times) by a feeling of intense heat (and perspiration) on my face and neck.

Apart from the heat, my head feels normal (well, as it normally does on kratom).

I don't believe my skin changed colour at the time, apart from a flushing of my cheeks (I would attribute this to the heat in my face rather than the darkening of the skin that kratom can cause).

Since I don't feel I adequately answered your question about how my head feels (I'm a little uncertain, and was worrying more about my stomach than my head at the time), I shall have to have another attempt at this, and this time write down everything I am feeling, so that it can be the last time (at least until my plant matures and I can do a comparitive test on fresh leaves).

As a (somewhat) interesting aside, I was once injected with morphine in hospital and had a bad reaction to it, which was a little similar to theheat I was feeling around my head and neck, except the morphine in my bloodstream gave me the feeling everywhere...

I just thought I'd mention that because it could have some bearing on why I had this reaction, but planthelper has a completely different experience.

You know it's odd but I have a kratom tree and haven't tried it yet. I tried smoking some of the fake kratom that was around a while back with no effect. I just never got around to trying mine. I have a batch of leaves now but I'm trying to trade them away. I used to be very adventerous but maybe old age is catching up to me? I will force myself to give it a go soon. I'll probably only try about a couple grams. I hear it's good to put some vinegar in the water?

Stoney

OK, about the nausea:

The nausea is only in the stomach, but is accompanied by the aforementioned heat in the face and neck. The two seem to come and go together.

Hopefully I will now be able to enjoy kratom without having to smoke while on it :)

peace,

kitty

kitty:

(No, I wasn't aware of your earlier posts reville, guess I should've searched for similar things before I posted. Ah well)

Sorry i didnt mean to sound off. DL and I posted ages ago and who knows it may be lost on this server

lets see if i can drag it up...

WTF? now its gone?

http://www.erowid.org/plants/kratom/kratom.shtml

DL any idea what happenned to our trip reports?

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, I registered after reading this thread.

I am an infrequent tobacco smoker. I smoke the organic leaf I grow about once per week. I've thought that I wanted to smoke after tea and the first time I did I was sick, very nauseas. I wasn't sure it was because of the tobacco until the second and third attempts. I knew that tobacco was a bad mix with kratom ... for me.

Then yesterday a friend who had not met kratom but who was a regular smoker of commercial sticks ate whole leaf and was strongly affected and happy until he smoked a cigarette and his pulse skyrocketed as he began to drip sweat from his head. This appeared to be a very bad reaction to the tobacco in conjunction with. After a large purge and small nap he was fine.

Then today I visited this forum for the second time and saw this post.

I felt like the plant was telling me not to smoke.

fractanimist

fractanimist:

I felt like the plant was telling me not to smoke.

While my first experience was comparatively low dose ( which I tend to favour these days ) I experienced the same feeling. For me it was a kind of magnetic repulsion towards my cigarettes- I'd reach to have one, and almost instinctively withdraw my hand, deciding to wait a bit longer

As I'd stopped work to drink the kratom and have a cigarette I kinda felt like I couldn't go back to work until the whole break was properly over ( ie after a cig ). Which took several hours to accomplish. And I'm a pack a day grrl.

Was kinda hoping someone would take note of this effect before the NPDSC where Mitragyna speciosa is up for discussion again. It would be a shame to lose such valuable medicinal potential to the cause of unjustified hysteria- research should be continued and results publicly announced before such decisions are made.

Here's the link to my first bioassay at Erowid:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=18480

And Rev's:

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=18482

If they don't schedule it, I'm planning to save up enough biomass to try a full stop smoking assault. I'm too old to die :)

Ah yeah, and welcome to the zone fractanimist :)

I gave up smoking after a bout of ear infection that became mild meningitis before the doctor would believe me. Nobody mentions much that a smoker suffers ten times as many infections due to the suppression of their immune system.

Funny, I was quite the opposite with kratom.

I usually don't get nicotine cravings, I can go for days without even realising that I haven't had a cigarette if I'm busy, but when I'm on kratom is one of the few occasions when I do get cravings.

I think they've stopped now, after three consecutive nauseas experiences! :rolleyes:

The latest and stupidest argument against kratom I have heard is that it has a sort of tryptamine (right)and because of that people would develop a tolerance against it...

Now that's absurd...

I have not heard of the development of a tolerance against say DMT, another Tryptamine...

or what does everybody else think?

I have to add that there is a world of difference between kratom and DMT, totally unrelated...

How bad would repeated kratom use be say for the liver or other organs?

Is there anything known about that...

I'll just have to try that new kratom that's floating around... from 20 year old trees...cool!

Stonehenge:

You know it's odd but I have a kratom tree and haven't tried it yet....I hear it's good to put some vinegar in the water?

2.5g of week old dried leaf was enough for a very social experience, with lemon juice added. I can def recommend it as a Sunday afternoon BBQ type recreational

Had plants here- none in the ground, all in test tubes- for five years before I tried the tea :) Torsten finally took pity on me and I got one back from the nursery last year. So Stoney, did you try it?