The Corroboree

I know there are lots of various strains of Salvia divinorum, I'm trying to make a complete list of all of them and their origins and distinguishing characteristics.

Salvia divinorum Strains-

Salvia divinorum "Wasson and Hofmann" or "Bunnell" strain-
The original clone brought back to the United States and distributed around the world. The name "Wasson and Hofmann" was first applied to the strain in 1992 by the now-defunct ethnobotanical company Of the jungle. They began listing it in their catalog as the 'Wasson and Hofmann' strain to differentiate it from another strain they introduced the same year, "Blosser" or "Palatable"strain. This clone was originally collected by Sterling Bunnell in 1962, not by Wasson or Hofmann.

Salvia divinorum "Blosser" or "Palatable"strain-
A clone which was collected by anthropologist Bret Blosser in December 1991 and sold by the now defunct ...Of the Jungle ethnobotanical company.

Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" strain-
A descendant of a Salvia divinorum plant collected by L.J. Valdes,III, (the first person to isolate Salvinorin A, the active chemical in Salvia divinorum) near the village of Cerro Quemado, Mexico in the 1990s.

Salvia divinorum "Luna" strain-
A descendant of a Salvia divinorum plant growing under a Salvia divinorum cul. "Hofmann & Wasson" clone, found by Daniel Seibert in Hawaii in 1994. this is possibly a seedling or a sport (mutation). It has a slightly different leaf form (more rounded and the edges more serrated) than the other clones.

Salvia divinorum "Julieta" strain-
A strain collected by Daniel Siebert from a Mazatec shaman in Huautla de Jimenez (in the Sierra Mazateca, Mexico) in 1999.

Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" (The Force) strain-
A strain collected by Kathleen Harrison, ethnobotanist and former wife of Terence McKenna, in January, 2001.

Salvia divinorum "Owens" strain-
A strain collected by Jack Owens on Cerro Rabon (in the Sierra Mazateca, Mexico) in June, 2003. Jack Owens was a major supplier of dried Salvia divinorum leaves to the US from Mexico. He died at the beginning of September, 2004 and this strain is named in his honor.

Salvia divinorum "Paradox" strain-
A cutting from a seed-grown strain raised by Daniel Siebert in 1994. Salvia divinorum derived from seed grown plants is almost impossible to find and should contain valuable genetics.

Salvia divinorum "Resilience" strain-
A cutting from a seed-grown strain raised by Daniel Siebert in 2002. Salvia divinorum derived from seed grown plants is almost impossible to find and should contain valuable genetics.

If you have any to add please let me know! But make sure it is a fairly common strain, which is not impossible to source! I'm looking for the BEST Salvia divinorum strains... any ideas on which one is the most potent?

(*Note*- I only want strains currently in circulation among the community of growers)

Salvia%20divinorum.jpg

63930219_00beff3850.jpg

401133.jpg

salecb.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Salvia divinorum strains collected in the Sierra Mazateca and vegetatively propagated-

Salvia divinorum "Wasson & Hofmann" or "Bunnell" strain
Salvia divinorum "Standard Blosser" or "Palatable" strain
Salvia divinorum "Cerro Quemado" strain
Salvia divinorum "Julieta" strain
Salvia divinorum "La Fuerza" strain
Salvia divinorum "Owens" strain
Salvia divinorum "Catalina" strain
Salvia divinorum "Bret Blosser #2" strain
Salvia divinorum "Delicious" strain

Salvia Species Worth Investigating-

Salvia divinorum
Salvia miltiorrhiza
Salvia officinalis
Salvia spathacea
Salvia splendens
Salvia transsylvanica

Link to Edot

Salvia plants

Salvia divinorum information

Salvia divinorum info

Link to Kie Ti' Koal's Salvia divinorum Thread at Edot

Salvia divinorum History

Erowid Salvia divinorum F.A.Q.

Siebert's Salvia divinorum F.A.Q.

Salvia divinorum Article

Salvia divinorum Timeline

Salvia divinorum (Overview and general cultivation)

Salvia spathacea also known as "Pitcher Sage" is said to have psychoactive effects.

General Salvia divinorum Article including list of various strains

Dr.Siebert's Page on Salvia divinorum Strains

Phytochemical Analysis of various Salvia divinorum strains

It appears that Salvia divinorum cul. "Wasson and Hofmann" is the most potent of the strains analyzed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whoa... is this for real?!

Is this "Canteberry Hybrid" just marketing?

Anybody heard of Salvia divinorum "Canteberry Hybrid"???

Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me! Does anybody have any info on the Canteberry Hybrid???

Link to Vendor

Edited by planthelper
tag has been added

If anybody needs a Salvia divinorum cuttings/plants, please PM me (but DO NOT discuss it in this thread!).

Salvia divinorum

Edited by Teotz'

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT SALVIA DIVINORUM ONLY PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC!!!

(SALVIA DISCUSSION ONLY, STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE)

Edited by Teotz'

Good list of strains, but don't get your hopes up that they are really all that different. Most people can't tell the difference between a wasson and a blosser clone as they are just as bitter as each other. There also hasn't been any real breeding or prospecting going on for the last 8 or 9 years even though it is now well established that salvia can set viable seeds.

Someone may well have bred a new strain, although one would think that to get an exceptional strain it would be necessary to grow quite a few seedlings. No one has documented any such work.

I am also very dubious about the canteberry claims. Sounds like they didn't even spell the name right. And the claims of DNA analysis are just ludicrous. But I must say that the ridiculous claims made seem to suit that site quite well - another reason why I am not giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I agree that the whole thing sounds sketchy! I'd like some more info on these "DNA" studies. I do HOPE however that the "Canteberry Hybrid" is real. I am currently investigating this, I'll let you guys know what I find out!

Most people can't tell the difference between a wasson and a blosser clone as they are just as bitter as each other.

Potency is the only thing I care about for Salvia divinorum (well maybe cold hardiness and such as well). I just want to find the most potent strain!

There also hasn't been any real breeding or prospecting going on for the last 8 or 9 years even though it is now well established that salvia can set viable seeds.

Ya your right, it's about damn time somebody started, don't ya think?

Edited by Teotz'

Teo can I ask you ...are you a regular user of Salvia...? and if so can you give us some insight to your experiences and what you find interesting about it. I know a lot of people can't take itand may only ever try it once and they freak out...particularly with the stronger extracts...are you smoking leaf straight from your plants or are you buying and or making extracts.

oh and just as a small edit the name Canteberry...I have never seen that word spelt that way ever ..it's English and it's a place in England and I don't believe it's even ever been used in someones surname...it is normally spelt Canterberry....but Don't the yanks like to take our language and remove letters etc for some unknown reason..like color and tire etc...anyways yeah sounds a bit strange to name a new strain a word that is misspelt ..its almost like saying trickoseros teozocatle.

nice bits of info you have listed I have not begun a friendship with Salvia yet in my life so I'm interested in this keep it coming...in the encyclopedia of psychoactive plants there is another Salvia which eludes me at the moment....I'll get back to it after I have done my morning chores ..its the red and green one..be back later to edit and discuss that one with you.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Teo can I ask you ...are you a regular user of Salvia...?

I am not a regular user of Salvia divinorum, but I plan to do some experimentation soon.

oh and just as a small edit the name Canteberry...I have never seen that word spelt that way ever ..it's English and it's a place in England and I don't believe it's even ever been used in someones surname...it is normally spelt Canterberry....but Don't the yanks like to take our language and remove letters etc for some unknown reason..like color and tire etc...anyways yeah sounds a bit strange to name a new strain a word that is misspelt

That is kinda what I was thinking...

Here is what the guy told me in an email-

Thanks for interest in the Canteberry. Until the mother plants develop more, we can only root a few a week. But, by the end of summer we will be able to handle bulk orders.

Seed grown in Amsterdam from a Blosser mother

and a Hoffman pollenator in the fall of 2008

I'll get back to it after I have done my morning chores ..its the red and green one..be back later to edit and discuss that one with you.

Please do...

Edited by Teotz'

In my experiences with Salvia divinorum i was very impressed by the differences between the smoking route and the quid route. Chewing the fresh or rehydrated plant was very smooth and a gentle, subtle yet powerful spiritual experience with a feeling of connection with nature. Smoking extracts in a pipe was violent and not very "usable" except when in light dosages in a joint, then it was more similar to the oral way.

The plant is strange to cultivate, it can be very temperamental, like a Gardenia jasminoides: if she wants it she'll take anything, wind, dryness, drowning and pests but if she dislikes you...she'll die as soon as possible :P a real little princess...but a beautiful one, look at this vibrant green and those mystical flowers.

Okay the plant I was referring to is Coleus Blumei Bentham The Mazatecs include Coleus in the same family as Salvia Divinorum whereby Salvia is the female and Coleus is the male...Coleus fresh leaves are used exactly as the same manner as Salvia ...that is they are chewed as quids or the leaves can be smoked. Mazatec soothsayers apparently use Coleus only as a Salvia substitute.

I might add Coleus looks very similar to Salvia in its appearance but is apparently Labiatae ( The mint Family )...just thought it was worth mentioning in this thread as I have not heard anyone speak much of this plant and seeing as how it has similar properties...ie Coleus was recently found to contain Salvinorum A of an as yet undetermined chemical structure ( cf. diterpenes ) it is possible that these diterpenes are chemically modified by drying or burning and transformed into efficacious substances. Some 30% of subjects who smoked dreid Coleus leaves reported effects similar to smoking a small dosage of Salvia divinorum.

these are notes taken from Christian Ratsch's encyclopedia of psychoactive plants.

there is a thread on E Dot about it being a myth... HERE

post-4860-1241996045_thumb.jpg

Coleus Blumei

Now as far as Salvia goes...

Is the whole plant active....or just the leaves...I mean are the stems and roots shown to be active as well..?

H.

533px_Solenostemon_scutellarioides_002.jpg

533px_Solenostemon_scutellarioides_002.jpg

in answer to the above, yes, the stems are active too, but they have about 4% of the S.A content of the leaves.

I guess the ultimate question is : is it possible to cross S Divinorum with some other known species of salvia. If you could, and if that child contained a psychoactive, then it might be legal to grow that plant under Australian law.

(SALVIA DISCUSSION ONLY, STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE)

Now... I am supposed to be having an "Owens" clone delivered to my house this week! It was collected in the Sierra Mazateca.

Edited by Teotz'

law is relevant to every thread, even if it happens to be an aside. And who's talking about trading? For the love of god I hope your comments are not directed from my post.

If they are, I bet you work for local government.

Back to the topic --

One of the weirdest Salvia divinorum "strains" I've seen was at one of the editors (?) of the Lycaeum's house back in

1997. It was variegated, with white and green patches, and very serrated leaves. It most resembles the "Apaloosa" strain on Siebert's page.

No photos there...it was most unusual looking, like a half-albino divinorum.

Never tasted it -- I had to convince my friend to bring it inside during a very cold winter, so it wasn't in the best of health.

Anyone else ever seen one like that?

Edit -- weird...just as I posted this, I notice Siebert says the "Apaloosa" clone was collected in 1999...the plant I saw was supposedly (memory fails me a bit) bought from a vendor at the Seattle waterfront market before then...must have been a different clone, or...???

Edited by Rizla

Dude hell yes Rizla! Thanks for posting!

I have heard of "Appaloosa" which is supposed to be a variegated Salvia divinorum clone, maybe that was it, or maybe not! It is supposed to be a "Lost Clone"... can you find a cutting?!

Edited by Teotz'

I'll have to track down my friend...I'll see.

But I doubt he was the only one who had it. His was the size of a small tree. Anyone on here from the Pac NW? That's where I'd expect those clones to be found. I might email Siebert about this. :huh:

How well does Salvia handle winters outside...I mean how would it survive an Australian coastal winter for example where temps get down to say 5 degree's Celsius etc..I imagine it's not a very easy plant to take care of in cooler climates...would it need to be brought inside...?

Oh and one thing I'd like to know about this plant, what is it's longevity...I mean how long could a plant live for in ideal conditions...do they have a life expectancy...could they turn into small trees and have a hard wood trunk and live for 50 years etc...does anyone know this stuff.

H.

I'm pretty sure frost kills it. In the Pacific NW, there are parts that get very cold and rainy but rarely freeze (think San Francisco -- I grew one there years ago, year round, next to an open window, with no humidity tent, nothing. Of course, when I left to go to the wild west, I gave it to a friend who expressed interest, and in a few weeks he managed to kill it...grrrr.)

So...cool and damp but not too cold, and I grew them at a time when I was completely incompetent with horticulture. :rolleyes: As long as it doesn't freeze -- I would imagine going lower than 50 degrees F (sorry, ich bin yank) would be pushing it. So...you could leave it in a big pot and bring it inside. The weather in SF doesn't really change that much, as Mark Twain noted. Mine was inside but the window was open most of the year.

And yes, I have seen huge plants the size of small trees. Mine grew for many years, I'd imagine it's pretty long lived -- again, given the proper climate or even a greenhouse. Of course the stems will break off under the pressure if they're too heavy on top, but you could pinch it or something to encourage lateral growth. When I say "tree" I really mean a big bush a little taller than 6 feet.

Off topic -- at the Entheobotany conf in SF in 1996, a very interesting plant seller had a tree-sized Catha edulis (still legal at the time), at least 7 feet tall with wide branches, for $200. I wish I'd bought it. It had a "trunk" of ten inch circumference at least...how'd he manage that?

There were tons of clones going round that conference of divinorum, mostly wasson/hofmann strain I'm sure. But to my knowledge, there was one guy at least selling clones at the Pike's Place (sic?) market in Seattle by 1997, of various clones....he may still be there. (?)

Edited by Rizla

Frost will kill Salvia divinorum but I'd say Salvia is fairly safe at 30F+ or 0C+.

Oh and one thing I'd like to know about this plant, what is it's longevity...I mean how long could a plant live for in ideal conditions...do they have a life expectancy...could they turn into small trees and have a hard wood trunk and live for 50 years etc...does anyone know this stuff.

I don't see why it couldn't live forever, but I doubt it would ever get a hard wooden trunk.

Edited by Teotz'

How well does Salvia handle winters outside...I mean how would it survive an Australian coastal winter for example where temps get down to say 5 degree's Celsius etc..I imagine it's not a very easy plant to take care of in cooler climates...would it need to be brought inside...?

H.

It DOES handle winters, cold ones at that too, will handle nights down to almost freezing if cared for minimally and properly-

In a protected location, under some light shade cloth, proteceted from any sort of draft or major frost . it can be kept outside most of coastal mainland aus

Prune salvia after it has flowered (or not) which should be around now, prune by at least 50% at start of winter.

It will not really be growing and will require little if any water from us, if it rains this seems to be fine, but it must be left to dry out between waterings from grower,

No feed at all until it gets going again in the warmer weather of late september, feeding in winter seems to make it yellow further!!

Plants could be cut back year after year, but like any perenial salvia it will get woody and be suseptible to die back and general ugliness,

About five years i reckon a plant could be kept alive for before it started suffering ill effects from bieng too old.

With salvia d, remeber not too fuck with it too much in growing season,

Do not leave it in a tray or saucer of water like so many do!! its not an aquatic plant, in summer water more, in winter water less.

Do not move it around, leave it in one spot, stop poking, stroking and touching leaves and puttiing crystals or funny coulred mulch rocks around plant base.

Mites can make the plant look sick and yellow, (mites commonly make salvia difficult to grow) regular over head waterings will fix , spray underside of leaves with water spray mist, thats where the mites live and feed from the plants and mites hate

being wet during the day and night, but Salvia d loves wet hair all day long, reminds her of a humid high rainfall area,

Its not that hard if one has a nice shelltered location under some light white shade cloth, protected from virtually all wind, and strong sun,

Frost will kill Salvia divinorum but I'd say Salvia is fairly safe at 30F+ or 0C+.

I don't see why it couldn't live forever, but I doubt it would ever get a hard wooden trunk.

It does after 3 years , i t does so like a Plectranthrus or other similar Salvia,

Can end up bieng a home for Earwigs after a few years,

post-3632-1242078534_thumb.png

it will still grow though. :)

EARWIGS!! scum of the earth i tells ya

are there any companion plants or the like which repell these nasty little fuckers?

when it was legal, the best crop i ever grew was in orange nsw, where temps get well below zero over winter. i had it under my southern balcony,which was roofed with that green plastic corrogate stuff lol (whats that stuff called? i and the sal love the stuff)

would die right down over winter, sometime i thought it was dead for certain. come spring time, which was very mild, she would jump up in all her splendour and flower her brains out.

ive met one lady in the bluemountains who professes to have had it growing like a weed!!!!

the mountains and orange share very similar climes.

i used to give it heeeeeeaps of the ol' blue miracle grow over the growing season.

these plants lived for over 5 years, and provided great harvests, and only suffered their fate when i moved to a hot humid climate.

if the plants are mature, than they will survive minus 3 deg C, with a bit of damage, but it all depends aswell on your microclimat, as greenhouse aka/incognito says, if they are protected from the wind and cold air flow.

they can grow very big, but generaly it's better to keep taking cuttings and always have plant which express "the virgor of youth". very old plants are somewhat slow growers.

teotz, you complain about people talking about trading related subjects (including the law), but to me that is fine, because you used this forum as a plug (which it is not supposed to be) for your trades in the first place.

you can't bend the rules if it suits your own needs, but than shove all the unwanted feedback you get because of this, far away from you.

Edited by planthelper

Well you could discuss Salvia splendens... that would make me very happy... I may know of another Salvia species which is psychoactive!