The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

nelumbo nucifera

didnt realise this was native.

a readers digest book says indiginous use of leaf stalks,rhizomes and seeds as food.

claims no medicinal use!

states roasted ground seed was used as a fine coffee substitute.

t s t .

didnt realise this was native.

a readers digest book says indiginous use of leaf stalks,rhizomes and seeds as food.

claims no medicinal use!

states roasted ground seed was used as a fine coffee substitute.

t s t .

coffee substitute ? Is this for taste or stimulation ?

claims no medicinal use!

t s t .

While not dissing the Reader's Digest, I think there are better books about Australia's native plant usage out there,

yeah tst. I'm surprised! Next thing, you'll be quoting the back page of the TV Guide! :)

While not dissing the Reader's Digest, I think there are better books about Australia's native plant usage out there,

Readers Digest is most likely reprinting something out of/in reference to one of Tim Lows books.

ok,i see the negative comments......i dont see the info from other sources you are sharing......?

its quite an acceptable book on herbs in oz and nz,more local stuff like piturii than most herb books have!

come on!i've seen people recommend books from oprah's book club here!

t s t .

You could try Waterplants in australia by Sainty & Jacobs, aquatic plants of australia By Aston (bit old i know) Aquatic plant of the NT by osbourne.

the only thing is they are field guides & botanical texts not ethnobotanical.

Oh & at least the Qld locals used the "root" rhizome, it tastes surprisingly like fresh apple, bit mealy though but very crisp & sweet.

The seeds roasted taste a little like bitter almondish, never tried them raw. nice in other foods but crap on their own.

The leaved can be cooked, we used them as bush alfoil with barra a few times but they were way to fiberous to actually eat.