The Corroboree
blip

Amanita Muscaria and possible Subs?

Question

Edited by lsdreamz

23 answers to this question

WOW!! They dont look like subs :huh: they could be???? defintley see the bluing! got any better pics?

Edited by subbo

The top 2 are defiantly Fly Agaric..great shots too I might add..the other shots are also great.. there is marked blue staining on the stems of the 3rd pic but I don't think they are subs..that cap reminds me of the liberty caps I used to hunt in Wales...someone else better at identifying will no doubt come along and confirm them..nice finds..whereabouts roughly did you spot these babies LSD... :)

H.

nice. love the amanitas.

That third pic: very interesting! did you find those in Sydney? My first thought was mexicana or liberties.

They be subs.

Love the first amanita pic :)

That third pic: very interesting! did you find those in Sydney? My first thought was mexicana or liberties.

Me too. Those are NOT subbs.

LMAO teotz...... and exactly how many times have you actually seen a real, in the flesh P. subaeruginosa or gone out into the aussie bush and examined one????????

They ARE subs.

Im with PD they are subs... if i posted a picture of every different looking sub i found, even in a small area i think every sub i found would need its own picture...

They can look many a different way... which is why you must be careful...

Edited by lsdreamz

Just for future reference Dreamz...when you pick a mushroom..try to use your fingernails or a sharp knife and cut it neatly at the base...don't rip them up from the roots like that...oh and its a good idea to flick the cap for spore dispersal before you pick it also...just helps maintain and or create future patches....what you need to do also is take a spore print of each one..the one with witches hat cap is amazing.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Edited by lsdreamz

Nice finds. 3rd photo definitely subs. The fourth... looks a bit off from those shots but if your spore print comes out blue-black and there's some bluing then sub she be.

Don't confine yourself to woodchip beds unless you're deep in urban areas. I'm beginning to learn this this season :)

Substrate was pine needles right?

Yes and yes for both species.

Yep subs, slong as they print right... in pine forests they tend to look long like that. Nice photos and nice finds!

You're giving me a warm fuzzy feeling about this weekend. Love your work, Dreamz.

Such an interesting mushroom is the beloved sub...I'm learning more and more about everyday...so it can pop up in pine needles too...?... I wouldn't have thought at all...I'd have thought they like eucalyptus and other natives debris with the right amount of mini micro climate cover like some grass or clover covering the wood where water gathers in small valleys etc...can't wait to go walking this winter.

H.

I wouldn't mind looking at a print from a Amanita Muscaria or even any nice bluing sub, cube etc.. as a friend has a good microscope i have access to, but we don't have many interesting active fungi out here in the semi arid zone :(

Edited by mac

Edited by lsdreamz

what a waste :(

Great pics of amanita, always love this mushroom!

Edited by lsdreamz

Geeze there were ALOT of the similiar looking ones that have the white gills/spores. Very very similiar but no bluing and white as white spores.

I saw these same ones in a pine forest on Sunday. Don't know what they are but look VERY similar from above.

Yeah they do grow in pine forests:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBKTHY8X220...feature=related

I've never hunted in a pine forest before but i think they grow from the decomposing chips and woody debris under the needles, not out of the pine needles, or from the roots of pine trees themselves.

I love that vid. The cop at 3:43 cracks me up every time. "let alone the health benef..health side effects"

Heheh that is funny...the video shits me to tears but.

What right do they have? Ah well I wont get back into the same old argument.

Can't believe they check the air intake of the car ffs, ah well, might be a good place to dry them on the way home :P

Edited by MindExpansion