The Corroboree
gerbil

Cactus pics

Been meaning to do a bit of this for a long time, only a couple at the moment, will update over time maybe.

This is seedgrown from SAB 'pachanoi' seed stock germinated in early april 2003. All plants look unique in their own right, but can be grouped together fairly easily, this is one of the more distinct outliers and one of my favourites.

both pics of the same plant, second is a little older, apologies for the grainyness, couldn't get anything decent in the resize.

Got the willies with the collection at the moment, found a big red back population spread through all the pots yesterday and after cleaning it out aren't game on touching them for a while :wink:

These were hardgrown and only given attention in the last 2 or so years.

gallery_239_3_21166.jpg

gallery_239_3_43958.jpg

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 4

Hi gerbil! Thanks for sharing! I´d love to see more pics from your collection! The seed of the SAB Pachanoi comes from knize, right? Does anybody have a KK Number for them? bye Eg

Damn nice and healthy Gerbil..immaculate looking..certainly have green/blue thumb... :P

very nice Gerbil, i look forward to more photos of your collection in time.

two different seedlings of the same batch.

gallery_239_3_1868.jpg

gallery_239_3_42304.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice cacti Gerbil. Is it just me or do you think 'peruvianoid' seems more applicable than T. pachanoi? Definately looks to be a cross of some sort, but with strong peruvianoid overtones. Fantastic looking specimens, whatever they are :)

Very nice cacti Gerbil. Is it just me or do you think 'peruvianoid' seems more applicable than T. pachanoi? Definately looks to be a cross of some sort, but with strong peruvianoid overtones. Fantastic looking specimens, whatever they are :)

Very nice indeed! You have a giant green thumb!

:worship:

When I see the long spines I too think of peruvianus, especially the longer central spine. But these do not have a V notch, which I believe is a dominant expression from peruvianus, so I doubt they are a peruvianus hybrid. I suspect the long spines are due to the age of the plants, and as they grow older the spines will probably become shorter. Even if this plant's genetics lean towards longer spines in general, I think it could be considered a 'true' pachanoi.

Most cacti change in appearance as they age, which is perhaps the main reason that the classification system is a mess.

Edit: On the other hand I could easily be wrong, and these very well may be 'true' peruvianus. The spines don't point upward as much as I would expect from a pachanoi, for example. I've seen photos of many photos labeled as peruvianus without the prominant V notches (peruvianus is highly variable I guess you could say). The real point I was trying to make is that young plants can be indistinguishable. I would trust what the seed was labeled as until they reach full maturity, which would seem to be very soon for these guys! Their true form should be apparent when they are given good sun and some harsh conditions like in nature.

In any case they are certainly healthy and beautiful!

Edited by cactophyle

But these do not have a V notch, which I believe is a dominant expression from peruvianus

Great post cactophyle, but I have to disagree about the absense of V-notches. I can see them in all four pics, however in the second, really blue one, it is very faint. And I can confirm that even my PC pachanoi has very distinct V-notches too, so I dont think it is a defining peruvianus trait.

I think what made me tip toward Peruvianoid is that the spination seems too wild for pachanoi (in that it is very heavily spined and quite excessive too), even in 'true' pach specimens. That said, they are still fairly young, but I'm not too sure if the new spination will produce too much more variability with the coming growth.

Anyway, it's all just a label, which doesnt really have any value when you just admire the beauty of them :wub:

Gerbil, I hope one day a few of these get the propagative chop to be spread around the globe :)

I can see some pachanoi that are actually smaller than these plants in the first picture (on the right), and there is a clear difference of course, but the direct color comparison is helpful. These are actually larger than those pachanoi, and maybe much bigger than I initially thought! Also, they have a distinctive grayish blue color (I'm not referring to the second picture, because that is blue due to wetness) as compared to the pachanoi.

And I do see prominent V notches in the first picture, but the others don't seem anything out of the ordinary for any Trichocerus. Pachanoi does have V notches too, but I thought the peruvianus was supposed to have them more pronounced -- but again, some confirmed peruvianus I've seen recently don't have any type of V notches whatsoever, so I guess my point there is mute. Why I brought that up actually was in the context of discussing peruvianusXpachanoi hybrids. Any (supposed) hybrid I've seen between the two has really obvious 'painted' V notches above each areole, and that's why I think it is a dominant genetic trait from the peruvianus. My peruvianus 'short spined' peruvianus is surely a hybrid mutant, for example...

:)

I will have to agree with Ace completely then, and stop being wishy washy. I put my money on peruvanoid because I think these are surely full grown. And because of the bluish color, long spines, and dark spines (the white spines in the first picture may be because of the camera or lighting?). I've had some pachanoi with pretty long spines before, but they were green and their spines were whiter, and pointed more upward. These pictures I think definitely show plants that are more peruvianoid than pachanoi.

I think I like the word peruvianoid from now on too, because there seems to be so much variation in this species' phenotype that there really is no single "peruvianus".

Edited by cactophyle

yeah it's hard to say what they are, I see a lot of different aspects of them being lumped into different categories which is even more confused through fairly strong variation within the individual itself as they grow.

It will be interesting in about a years time as the batch of 'peruvianus' seedlings sown at the same time will reach a similar size and some sort of maturity as the pachanoi are now, the peruvianus are still less than 10cm tall hard grown but have all the signs of next season being theirs where they will go from their sort of immature physical structure to a more so individual mature form, just need a pot up and some love.

Ace yes I do plan on spreading them to other collections but still a couple of years off at this stage, first propagation chop will be either this year before winter or spring/autumn the next, but many cuttings already tied up for certain collectors already, will see how it all turns out. They are very vigorous so the time may be over estimated, but time moves quick, the limiting factor is often space and time to tend to them.

Will get some different pics up, they have all sorta gone dormant at the moment, the old clenching of the tip before they go through another transitional stage :)

EG I'm not too sure of the source of SAB seed, I've got the dates written down and invoices i think so I may eventually quiz T about them regarding origin if that info is around, but at this stage just working with them botanically and wanting to get them to flowering stage :P I wouldn't be surprised if it was knize seed though as he seems a fairly big global supplier.

Edited by gerbil

These ones are still potted, growth has been stunted, but they have still grown a bit, the couple that i've recently got in the ground have made a big improvement.

gallery_239_3_16730.jpg

gallery_239_3_82976.jpg

gallery_239_3_6276.jpg

gallery_239_3_56497.jpg

gallery_239_3_64151.jpg

gallery_239_3_4965.jpg

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 2

:drool2: amazingly photogenic specimens you have there!

:wink:

I now live in the ground...

gallery_239_3_14495.jpg

gallery_239_3_44098.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice mate!

Good to see ya got a few in the ground, should make for some good growth. Has there been much difference in appearance since they have been in the ground?

Still early ground days, but yeah, new colour in the vigorous tip not really seen, was already fat due to growing conditions and genetics, but will just get thicker, spination is only starting up again from transplant damage, that'll be interesting to follow, they are throwing some new spination colour, length and form at times. Next growth season should be huge hopefully. They've sat and been slowed for so long, edging along slowly, time to let them mature properly.

Normal pachs are very distinctive going from pots to ground here, new and wider spectrum of minerals, they change their appearance so well and just shine with health.

I want to get the rest in, but finding an appropriate spot taking a few things into consideration is making it very slow, would be nice to be able to put them out the front but that won't be happening.

They've gone through many characteristic stages, still a few more before fully mature i reckon. Some are looking like reddish / black macro, and some peruvianus seedling is looking like the pach seedling with one looking strongly like a macro seedling lol.

Looking forward to seeing them pup from cut stumps, should get some good colours, will get cuttings out in a season or two, thought it'd be earlier but should get em big first.

Edited by gerbil

Fantastic pics man! This makes me want to plant more seed. I have 'Los Gentiles' seed waiting to germinate.

heres the other ground one, done a week or so after, just taken in the tip, but not as advanced, now slowed with the cold. They are wider than they look really.

yeah man, get the seed in, longer you wait, the longer the seed is to adding it's genetics to the pool and breeding with others.

gallery_239_3_109361.jpg

Edited by gerbil
  • Like 1

Damn, they are nice looking cacti! Awesome photos too.

Fantastic !! Some unique and blueish looking pachs you have there......

Great, beautiful plants

like I have said elsewhere, I don't have big experience with tricho ID especially peruvs, but I really think/sense some peruvianoid genes in many of them... especially the more blueing and fatty ones...

only an informed [and a bit instintive] guess

I definitely think they have peruvianus traits. They are, in the least, a far cry from the PC pachanoi.

they a far cry from kk339 as well, I think....

Well yes, a far cry from pachanoi as I know it anyway, be it PC or KK339 or yowie, etc.