The Corroboree
The Dude

trichocereus cuzcoensis

I've taken a liking to the cuzconoid allied 242 form. It grows well, makes an ok grafting stock and is considerably more hardy than several other related cacti. I hope to find crosses of it with pach, peruv and bridgeii. The PC clone in particular is one I am looking for a hybrid with the cuzconoid 242.

I notice that the vascular core in my cuzconoid 242 is very strong and woody, more so than most of my SP type cacti.

It is such a robust growing form that I can't help but love it.

I've got "KK242" seed from 96 and a second batch from 98

both sourced from OTJ.

The 96 batch came up what we are calling "cuzoensis"

with some variations between individuals

MS Smith ID a few at the time as what he then called

the classic KK242. :BANGHEAD2:

Hey Flip, crazy good seeing you again..wow, it's certainly has been awhile. Glad to see your still in the game with cacti. About the head banging, well I can clearly understand that, but "back in the day", and before I really started some closer examinations of the plants, you had what at the time was the "classic KK242", or at least was considered both the KK242 and T. peruvianus, but which apparently after a bit of review isn't actually either. Sorry that you're left with some plants that you might not find as desirable, but hey, all in the name of progress.

This one mike ID as T. Cuzo 5 years ago.

looks a lot like by first and second plant image.

fQiZO.jpg

I'd still say it was a T. cuzcoensis. This sort of plant is probably the first "T. peruvianus" most of us old-timers brought into our collections and has some of my respect for that alone, but it had become so prominent in my collection under multiple names that I started weeding them out for space and now maintain just one or two small plants for collectors sake.

See ya around flip...I pop in a bit looking for interesting threads, but don't have much time for posting these days due to quite a few increased responsibilities, but if you need anything feel free to PM.

~Michael~

Thanks mike.

I took some time off to reapply to personal, family and business pursuits.

It's really good to see everyone here again. :D

Glad to see your still in the game with cacti.

You kiddin, I knew this was going to be a long term project

when I got started in college ;)

"back in the day", and before I really started some closer examinations of the plants,

you had what at the time was the "classic KK242", or at least was considered both the KK242 and T. peruvianus

LOL Well I'm sure that it didn't help matters that my plants served as the voucher specimen images for the Lycaeum plant archive :innocent_n:

Nobody can really blame me, as I ordered KK242 T. Peru seed. Got labeled KK242 seed and germinated them. The confirmation ID support I got at the time (not you btw) sealed the deal.

Guess we all kept on referring back to ourselves for verification back then.

Oh yeah, imagine my surprise when I learned that there's no more Trichocereus anymore.

Glad I haven't given any lectures or cacti presentations in the last few years.

(I had been telling people that the pachanot was a hybrid due to F2, F3 variation being all over the place.. nice to see I wasn't alone)

Sorry that you're left with some plants that you might not find as desirable, but hey, all in the name of progress.

Indeed. I can deal with this. it's science (not religion)... We change according to facts and best information available.

All of this puts my crossing project into a bit of a twist.. but I'll pick up the pieces

Looks like I've found some 6+feet of spineless true E. pachanoi here :drool2:

So I won't have to start off again from 100% scratch /seed.

Edited by Flip