The Corroboree

Maybe you "simple folk" could do your own research, rather than expecting others to spoon-feed it to you?

Uh oh I must be an elitist censor DMT-egoist. Or something.

Not really sure why anyone should be expected to answer the question any further than already has been, especially considering the complete lack of safety and traditional use information for this plant?

What do you want the people who are doing the research to say? "Hell yeah its a MAOI, everyone go get a plant and grow and try it even though we really know nothing beside a couple of un-scientific bioassays which luckily didn't harm anyone"?

Just found this completely speculative post on bushfood.net

I could be wrong but recently I've been learning that DMT itself is an odourless chemical - the smell you usually associate with DMT is actually skatole (3-methylindole) - which comes from the decomposition of indole compounds. In low concentrations skatole smells like flowers - this is why plants in the indole-rich apocynaceae family have such a sickly-sweet smell - and in high concentrations it smells like shit - the distinctive aroma of mammal poo happens when enzymes in the intestines convert dietary tryptophan into skatole...

Mistletoes growing on active acacia species also have a characteristic skatole smell when the leaves are combusted.

If nuytsia flowers have this smell it might say more about the host plant than the nuytsia itself. Often the hosts are grasses - in the southwest it could be that phalaris or cyperus grasses are responsible for this smell.

More confusing is a hakea species that flowers in the perth hills in spring - it has a powerful skatole smell despite the fact that it isn't known to be a parasite or contain indole alkaloids...

Skatole smell of course found just as much in b-carboline containing plants as tryptamine containing ones as simple tryptamines are part of the metabolic process.

So are Hakea species MAOIs? Someone please tell me right now, if you don't you're in the TRIBE, shame on you for keeping information to yourself! This is the internet, not the Vatican censoring Galileo! :rolleyes:

Edited by apothecary

Maybe you "simple folk" could do your own research, rather than expecting others to spoon-feed it to you?

Haha chill your grill I wasn't talking to you i was responding to the question that the other guy asked. If you want to take it personally that's up to you and that's not the way it was intended, but what do you think would be a more appropriate answer?

"Some people know but they're keeping it secret"

or maybe

"UTFSE"

Not very helpful either i dont think.

• Like 1

ignore this

Edited by lsdreamz

Regarding skatole:

"and in high concentrations it smells like shit - the distinctive aroma of mammal poo happens when enzymes in the intestines convert dietary tryptophan into skatole..."

Indole itself is produced in large amounts by E. coli. So the "mammal shit" smell is probably due to the presence of indole.

Interesting that skatole can apparently smell sweet when indole is one of the compounds responsible for the smell of shit.

The strongest skatole smell I've ever experienced was from Erythrina roots after the excavator dug them up and crushed them. It stank easily 50m away for a couple of weeks. I found out that the roots are rich in trimethyltryptophan which is also a neurotoxin. Tryptophan derivatives such as the trimethyl and the dimethyl are not uncommon in nature, so they could be responsible for some of the strong smelling plants that obviously do not contain tryptamines.

This is a bit of a collection of left field comments, I hope it is on the field

I suspect big pharma perspectives on MAO I's and to some extent the emerging hoasca scene has given me a few a false perspectives on our limited understanding on MAO enzymes and Inhibitors which through experience I am slowly working through and this is where I stand at present

I see it reflected here where a lot of the emphasis seems to be is it a MAO I or not. Like their is some black and white line on this. I think is potentially detrimental to the thread

The common occurrence of MAO Inhibition in foods herbs etc is only starting to play out

This is hinted already in the thread through some mention of the flowers appearing more active and possibly flavones a reason why

since many common food and plant phytochemicals are staring to show up as MAO A or B (do they have a C yet? if not perhaps give it a year or two) quercitins and even naringinen have turned up with considerable mao Inh activity and god knows what other compounds are to come. This is one reason perhaps why people eating their plants, rich in variety freshness and abundance are possibly less often depressed?

I guess most of us know both the activity and dangers of MAO Is is on a grey scales or continuum, and that there is

perhaps two key continuums from the entheogenic and medical perspective (sure grey scale but there are some pretty dangerous narrow zones not to pass I still agree)

The continuum of our own bodies, which is the amount of MAO that we have as a result of diet, drugs, genetics and age and hormone levels, time of month, amount of sun exposure stress etc. I may be wrong but MAO seems to be an enzyme that we get more per unit of normal monoamine levels as we age. That perhaps is why so many of us are destined to be grumpy old bastards and why kids never benefit from telepathine for they haven't lost it yet??

The other continuum is the sum total of all the MAO I's we ingested recently and their net effects to residual enzymne levels. An here in lies another continuum that hard cold science could provide us:

where does tobacco, parnate, aurorix, harmine, cocoa, grapefruit juice, kava, coffee, faba beans, licorice etc lie in relationship to each other. Okay we need to seperate this into an A and B continuum (sciene has given us means to make this one far less fuzzy), and then we need to separate a reversible an irreversible one (oops somebody recently told me there is evidence out there that even this is not black or white but another bloody continuum).

I could go on but if you have read through this so far I am sorry folks if you think I am adding an unnecessary spanner in the works of what in this stage should be kept very simple. That is 'Does this beautiful WA plant give to an above threshold hoasca response for the people very kindly providing the practical substance behind the thread

I just think it may be useful to keep the MAO concept free of what I argue are past false assumptions at all stages of this debate (unless I was the only dude with these above black and white assumptions)

Also it is not unusual for mistletoes and member of Loranthacea especially Loranthus genus to have inhibitory effects on the human nervous system, the Chinese also I am told have have placed importance on the species of host for various medical activity.

Experimental research on inhibitory effect of alcohol extracts from Loranthus yadoriki Sieb. on coxsackie B3 virus]

[Article in Chinese]

Wang ZJ, Yang ZQ, Huang TN, Wen L, Liu YW.

Virus Research Institute, Hubei Medical University, Wuhan 430071, Hubei, China.

Hypoglycaemic and hypotensive effects of Globimetula cupulata (DC) Van Tieghem (Loranthaceae) aqueous leaf extract in rats.

Ojewole JA, Adewole SO.

Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa.

Corianin from Coriaria japonica A. Gray, and sesquiterpene lactones from Loranthus parasiticus Merr. used for treatment of schizophrenia.

Okuda T, Yoshida T, Chen XM, Xie JX, Fukushima M.

regards

Pedro

• Like 1

Bringing up a really old thread here, but was going a bit of research and what was the consensus on Nuytsia floribunda?

Is it to be used by itself?

EDIT: Old thread for a reason, this plant is sacred to the Nyungar people, I have no right to talk about it publicly

Edited by TheMooseZeus

Traditionally an aqueous extraction, although smoked bioassays report psychoactivity too.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 2