The Corroboree
neo1

Has anybody ever???

Now, I don't want to try it with my most prize plants, namely my iboga plant.

However, I would like to try it. How much should I put in the soil?????????????????????????????????????????? I am growing in pots since I don't have the land because I don't have a house yet.

Has anybody ever use sugar in the soil with potted plants????

I put some one of my other potted plant, and I almost lost it, I saved it by treating it with a ton of water, I guess I put too much.

I have a EC meter, it test PPT per million too, What the right ratio?????? Like how many tablespoons per pints or liters of soil??????

Thanks if you can help me.

Jeremy

Edited by neo1

Sugar helps control nematodes. Also cut flower growers use raw sugar to enhance flowering.

I would imagine it would be an attractant to moulds and rots... also i'm not sure raw sugar is in a form able to be taken up by plants... fructose might be better.

I think they would also attract sugar seeking ants and ocne the sugar ran out they would replace it wiht mealy bugs or something.

Ants + cacti = mealybug hell.....

would a sugar cane mulch be a better option ?

Edited by mac

Sugar in the water is bad for plants! We checked it once with a large dose of sugar! The plant almost died! I dont think that sugar in the soil would be any better! But it probably depends on the dosage. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I put a good bit of sugar on the soil around my Tobacco plants.... I'm not sure if it did anything tho.

I don't know, i heard it can help the soil. But it also can kill too. I don't know. I talking about "how much" for "potted plants". Like how much per liter of soil, or gallon??

I know you got to be careful with it though, it will kill also, just like anything else.

I heard it speeds up the reactions in the soil, and also gives the roots much need carbo's, so it can make the roots nice and fat.

I have no idea how much we are talking about.??

I heard black strap molasses is even better!

I don't really know where to get any though. probably a organic store.

Thanks

Jeremy

Edited by neo1

Sugar isnt good for people thus it cant be that good for plants neither. Andy is totally right about the Ants! If you absolutely want to have some sugar in there, just add a teaspoon! This isnt enough to do any harm. Or just add a little bit of honey. Its the same. Sugar is sugar. Even Fructose is sugar. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

Yea, i could try to get my hands on sugar cane mulch, that would be a must better option, and much safer too.

Jeremy

I have used molasses as a soil feed.

Humans tend to forget that the plants and the bacteria help each other.

Feed the soil and the plant gets fed well, feed the plant only and it won't be half as healthy.

Use nature, don't fight it.

I use 1/2 tablespoon molasses per 2 liters or so as a feed now and again for all sorts of plants including caapi, cacti, salvia, psychotria, phalaris and many more.

I have used molasses as a soil feed.

Humans tend to forget that the plants and the bacteria help each other.

Feed the soil and the plant gets fed well, feed the plant only and it won't be half as healthy.

Use nature, don't fight it.

I use 1/2 tablespoon molasses per 2 liters or so as a feed now and again for all sorts of plants including caapi, cacti, salvia, psychotria, phalaris and many more.

How big of a plant we talking about??

IS there anyway to gage how much to put based on how big of plant. Or say a seedling???

I really want to know much to use on a small struggling seedling, or plant??

That way I don't mess it up. But I still not trying it on my plants I hold dear to, for fear. But I still would not mind trying it out some time.

Thanks

Jeremy

Edited by neo1

if you want a natural fertilizer i think a worm farm is the way to go, that way you know what gos into your fertilizer & know its 100% organic

dilute the juice for a liquid fertilizer, use castings around the top as a organic slow release fertilizer or to freshen up old soil

a handful of worms in pots, a punnet or in a garden bed will only improve the soil & keep your plants happy for years to come

i thought sugar cane mulch may have had at lest some of the beneficial nutrients left in it after processing ?

Edited by mac

Don't add sugar to the soil.

None of the sugars can be absorbed through root tissue.

Sugar will however feed certain soil microbes, which will then grow more rapidly and thus consume more nutrients, especially nitrates, potentially starving your plant.

i would think beer would attract snails & slugs ,

thats what alot of people use to lure them to a drunken death in organic garden's :scratchhead:

Edited by mac

Does beer do any harm?

Why would you waste beer in soil..?

molasses and RAW cane sugar like Sucanat are ok. They have K and some S and N and some other nutrients, and lots of people say that molasses or such things during the flwoering of cannabis can help a lot esp with flavor

and sucrose is the transport sugar in plants

so fructose wouldnt necessarily be a better source

and why cant a plant uptake it? and maybe the plant cant, but myorrhizae sure could

just dont overdo it

and dont use bleached white sugar

1 Tbsp per of molasses or sucanat per gallon water is fine

Edited by planter

There arent just beneficial bacteria and fungi! Archaea is an experienced grower who knows how to keep the soil in balance! A beginner could easily get Problems with molds due to the increased risk of contamination! If you add sugar to your soil, always have an eye on the humidity! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

That's cool, I would maybe use around 1/2 Tsp. per gallon and see what is does just to be on the safe side.

I not doing it now, but maybe later I will

Thanks

Jeremy

I would only use carbohydrate enriched nutrients like molasses in an organic situation, and then I use them only not and then, during peak growth periods for healthy plants for example. I would not use this on weak looking or struggling plants, I seldom fertilize a plant that is having a hard time, rather i try to identify the problem and correct it and then start fertilizing as per a normal schedual.