The Corroboree
momomoto

Black Death?!

My first 'real' cactus I scored a pachanoi from bunnings a few months back, was $30 and a little shy of a foot long.

I repotted it with nice vermiculited cactus soil in a big pot with a saucer on the bottom.

It has been goin crazy growing like an inch a week, but I noticed a few days ago the some brown dribble down the shady side, further inspection shows lumpyness and a little scarring in a pretty big area along that side.

It's pretty soft around the lumpy parts, and I bet I could get that dark stuff out if I pierce it there (which I wont - unless it will help).

Yesterday I took it out of the yard and under some cover, left the stupid saucer off (why i never thought of this before).

I put some copper powder and another fungicide on the soil and dusted it on the wound a little.

Maybe I should put it on the area as a topical paste, or get a spray?

It's been raining a bit lately, so maybe just leave it dry out, leave it in it's new home permanently.

Should I turn them more often? They get heaps of morning sun only - maye more sun for a trich?

Maybe I should cut the clean tip off and try again - it's in about the middle third only.

I'm a bit pissed because I have had heaps of comments about how fast my cactus is growing. It may just be a matter of pride for me and i should just chill the fuck out and see what happens B)

Edited by momomoto

and I bet I could get that dark stuff out if I pierce it there

dont

so maybe just leave it dry out, leave it in it's new home permanently

do

It may just be a matter of pride for me and i should just chill the fuck out and see what happens

indeed.

i agree with pass.

so much fruity tootin goes on about black rot. its somethin u learn to live with owning trichs.

dont stress out to much over it.

If it looks to be spreading FAST cut of the rotted section and dispose of in a bin.

9.9 times out of 10 they will heal themselves if u dont fuss over them to much.

I'd just keep it really dry for about 2 weeks (or until it goes back to normal).

The full sun should be good for "drying up" the rot.

Mr.Smith.... ALL those plants made it? Even the "Winter Deaths" ones?

If so.... DAMN!

Edited by Teotz'

Hahahahaha, well not those ones.

~Michael~

Looked this morning, it's about 3/4 of one side now :(

sun is finally out though, but it's had yuckky yellow mushrooms grow on it

It if keeps getting worse... I'd slice it!

If it's obviously spreading... I'd slice it too.

Edited by Teotz'

If the rot is spreading this fast you need to cut *now* or you'll have nothing left in a few more days.

Remove all rot, and *every* bit of soft flesh, then callous as suggested above.

good luck,

ed

ps. if you lose it all let me know and I'll see what cuttings I've got atm and send you something (a bit of spach at least)

It ended up being o.k. after it dried out a bit, a bit of scarring, still a few spots beneath the surface, but o.k. A systemic fungacide (fongarid) was used in small doses on the affected cactus, and a few of it's buddies. I also used antifungal copper, dusted directly on the flesh, where it has scarred lightly, much like a light scab. I found my new lageniformis 'Tim' was sick also, just along one side (across 2-3 ribs), which got the same treatment and is now o.k.

The strange thing I noticed next was the whole column was tilted, and when touched moved dramatically. I figured it's possibly a sign of some root damage, or maybe it just got bumped. Nonetheless I lopped a good foot of the top and re-inforced the stump with sand. It's in a big pot, and maybe I should have just put it into ground... Being in a pot was handy when the big wet set in, though.

It was sad to see my biggest cactus headless, but hopefully it will strengthen up in the remaining few months of growing weather. Not to mention that when the cutting callouses up, I will now have 2 cactii :)

I guess the best way for me to relieve my worry is to get more cactus, and then some.

old thread i know but ive had success by tattooin the infected area with a bridgesii spine. I just popped the skin all over the area (no deeper then the skin) and left it in full sun without watering. Twice now ive done this and has worked both times. It ends up turning into a scar and not spreading. Just dont stab any green flesh.

Honey was recommended to me by a fellow member recently and it just so happened that I had a huge fat scop that went over in a storm and the rot was setting into damaged parts and it wasn't showing any signs of stopping so I gave it a whirl.

And holy fuck, it seems to work! As good as fresh Mancozeb - which btw goes off really quickly once opened.