The Corroboree
blip

Echinopsis ID's please :)

Question

Edited by lsdreamz

13 answers to this question

Pic #2 the cacti front and center looks like Echinopsis "Haku jo" a japanese cultivar, well thats what it said on the tag of the one I got. :P

The two Echinopsis are just Echinopsis hybrids, flowers anything from pinkish to white, peach or yellowy. I pick them up from Bunnings as much for the free pups as the cool flowers:

cactus1ow8.jpg

cactus3wp5.jpg

i picked up a few from the Big W nursery but only one Echinopsis (Echinopsis subdenudata) she is one of my favorites cant wait for it to flower mabee next year ?

2009_01252008-11-290184.jpg

the others were Gymnocalycium & some Mammillaria the X missus said she has never seen anyone take so long to chose a cactus :wub:

i have a couple of Mammillaria labled only Mammillaria seems common with alot of nursery's, is this because they are a cross or hybrid & are only use the Genus ?

i can get plenty of cuttings what i believe to be Echinopsis spachiana a very common cacti around here , same as in my profile pic also known as gold torch ?

they may not be a popular cacti with the ethno community id be happy to grab a few cuttings if anyone is interested wiki lists it as active if my id is correct

Edited by mac

Edited by lsdreamz

usually just look for Trich's and Echinopsis now... but even the echinopsis i have no idea which are the good ones

what do you mean good ones..?

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Edited by lsdreamz

You may already have Trichocereus pachanoi (San Pedro) , trichocereus bridgesii & Trichocereus peruvianus (Peruvian Torch)

they are popular.

Grab yourself a small Lophophora or some seed, as far as i know they are legal to grow in NSW & VIC unsure about other states tho

These were my first choices (but all seed) except one bridgesii cutting & 2 small Lophophora's im waiting on .

You see plenty of cuttings on ebay but id ask around the forum first

I think i may have to search for some more cuttings while im waiting for my seed to germinate

Edited by mac

Edited by lsdreamz

i picked up a couple for $15 around 1.5 cm & 20 seeds for $10

i have plenty of time & like others have said you will grow attached to them & wouldn't dream of consuming them even if it was legal

Edited by mac

Edited by lsdreamz

unsure about growth rates, i guess it would depend on conditions like soil & climate ?

i used to keep cacti as a kid & have only just started collecting, most i have had were slow growing ornamental so i would also like to know the answer to this

read this to give you some idea of growth rates..its not as slow as you imagine..I planted well over 200 seeds a month and half ago and have roughly 200 seedlings at about 1 cm tall allready.

H.

some trich seed to 30cm height, anywhere from around 18 months to 6 years, even longer for very hard grown specimens. Huge amount of variables.