The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Bush Turkey

fence

Hey i seen this place where a T.pachanoi is hanging over the fence on to P.O.S (public open space) and was wondering if its legal to take a cutting???

if its a private residence id be inclined to go and ask them if you can have a cutting of their cactus. not sure about legality but its certainly more polite

Hey i seen this place where a T.pachanoi is hanging over the fence on to P.O.S (public open space) and was wondering if its legal to take a cutting???

there are many nice ones around my way I think someone suggested this on another thread but honestly go to the blokes door and ask for a cutting if he looks like he's into it all or knows a fair bit about share your reasons you may just make a new friend , on the other hand if he's the cactus collector type make up some bullshit about studying the biology of trichs at uni or some shit so to answer your question yes i believe its legal however i would say ethical NO!!!!!!!!!!!

there are many nice ones around my way I think someone suggested this on another thread but honestly go to the blokes door and ask for a cutting if he looks like he's into it all or knows a fair bit about share your reasons you may just make a new friend , on the other hand if he's the cactus collector type make up some bullshit about studying the biology of trichs at uni or some shit so to answer your question yes i believe its legal however i would say ethical NO!!!!!!!!!!!

why bullshit, just tell him your a cacti collector. but yeah, just go ask them. if it's a descent size plant people are usually more than happy to give you a cutting. if it's not a descent sized plant then stealing a cutting is just scummy.

it never hurts to ask, you might just get more than the piece hanging over the fence

Edited by mac

it never hurts to ask, you might just get more than the piece hanging over the fence

im scared to ask! The last time i knocked on some randoms door and asked if he would like to get rid of cuttings he pulled a knife out and told me to fark off before he shanks me! I farkin ran!!! He was shouting at me "who do you think you are". No farkin idea! ya be polite and thats what ya get! hey if its not stealing its not stealing! haha

im scared to ask! The last time i knocked on some randoms door and asked if he would like to get rid of cuttings he pulled a knife out and told me to fark off before he shanks me! I farkin ran!!! He was shouting at me "who do you think you are". No farkin idea! ya be polite and thats what ya get! hey if its not stealing its not stealing! haha

Well I don't know man personally that would freak me out a little sounds a little over protective for a cactus maybe he had ganja growing or something as well that he didn't want you to see .

I've seen a few in peoples front yard and always get a pleasnt response usually they've been old catus collecters who are stoked people my age would show an interest

Ive gotten loads of cuttings from asking people..nine times out of ten they say..sure that's not a problem..thanks for asking...I use the.." I collect cactus and was wondering"..line..well its true and like I say they are usually more than happy to let you take some.

H.

Ive gotten loads of cuttings from asking people..nine times out of ten they say..sure that's not a problem..thanks for asking...I use the.." I collect cactus and was wondering"..line..well its true and like I say they are usually more than happy to let you take some.

H.

well ill go ask him! if ya dont hear back ya know why! This doesnt look as dodgey as the other house... nicely maintained!!!

you could always flash a $5 note when asking. it's not much money, but it gives the people a sense that yu are not just wastign their time. in most cases they won't take the money in the end anyway, but certainly be prepared to give it.

as for the law, I am pretty sure it is illegal to take anything that overhangs. I think the law is the same as for plants overhanging dividing fences, which is that anything attached to the tree belong to where the tree originates, but anything that falls off it belongs to where it falls. ie, if there is an apple tree overhanging into your yard, pickign the apple off the tree is stealing, while waiting for it to drop would make it legal to take.

The thing about front yards is that the owner has a responsibility to keep plants from being a public hazard or nuisance. A cactus poking into the footpath is an offence under most council bylaws. However, even though the cactus might be illegal where it is, this does not make it legal for you to remove it. It just means that if the guy is an asshole you can always call the council on him :devil:

you could always flash a $5 note when asking. it's not much money, but it gives the people a sense that yu are not just wastign their time. in most cases they won't take the money in the end anyway, but certainly be prepared to give it.

i would use that trick with 50c when bumming a smoke! IMHO it's still scummy, because 90% of the time they decline to accept it so they won't look cheap. (and the reason i used to do it was because i knew they wouldn't accept the money, but would now be obliged to give me a smoke). oh! the lows we stoop to all in the name of drugs. :P

subbo, i think it's time to face your asking-a-random-stranger-for-a-cutting phobia. it's really impeding your life, and i suggest exposure therapy in order to treat it. so go ask that person (and be sure to carry a shank just in case)

as for the law, I am pretty sure it is illegal to take anything that overhangs. I think the law is the same as for plants overhanging dividing fences, which is that anything attached to the tree belong to where the tree originates,

Well on ACA in the khat(perth) story that is mentioned in another thread the police say that if it hangs over and you take it, its not stealing!

Definitely good form to ask first.

As for the bloke with the knife, imagine if he caught you pilfering?

With regard to legalities of overhanging flora, in Victoria the law has been (as long as I can remember) that if it's on your side of the fence you can remove anything over your property but must return the offcuts to the said neighbor.

ed

Just go ask man

Edited by Uncle Staunch

Its always good to offer them a small amount of cash if you want to pick something from the ground of someone else! I usually pay farmers a few bucks if they spot me on their ground during mushroom hunting! Mostly because i want to show them that i respect the fact that its their ground! They usually dont take it but this divides you from all the assholes who trample down fences, corn, etc! bye Eg

Now there is an interesting idea, I wonder what the local farmers would say if someone went to them and offered them a few bucks to go for a mushroom stomp. Some might be cool with it but some might get the shotgun lol. Don't know anyone who has actually tried it.

Peace

i would NOT try it.

"oh sure lad, take all the time you need" *rings cops*

would be great if you could strike a deal though.

:P You surely dont say to them that you are looking for magic mushrooms! Have some edible mushrooms in your bag just in case! And you just do this in case they see you! At that time, they already spotted you and if you dont treat them with a little respect, they´ll call the cops on you anyway! eg what some friends of me used to do when the farmer spotted them....they ran like the devil would be chasing them! I dont like that Idea! People who run are guilty of something! bye Eg

buy a metal detector and a stupid hat