The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

Lantana problem

Afternoon slackers...I have a derelict run down house next door to me and in the back yard of that house is a dirty big patch of lantana...It's getting out of hand and starting to grow over the fence and trying its best to leap across over and onto my roof..The guy who lives there is like 90+ and is hardly ever seen..I wanna poison it and rid mankind of this noxious horrible plant.

Whats the best and safest way I can reach over and ...spray it or what ever..would I need to get at the root base...not possible...or is there something I can pour over the fence or spray on it's foliage that would kill it.

Of paramount importance is the safety of my plants and garden..so I'm asking here whats the best way to go about this..I'm sick of hacking it back..it seems to love it and grow back ten times faster and thicker.

I hate the shit and the smell it puts out is soo awful..what can I do.

H.

you will have to cut all the branchs off close to the base & paint the wounds with glyphosate (roundup) or some such herbacyde. either that or dig the whole thing out of the ground, making sure you get ALL the roots. pretty much the only ways to get rid of lantana AFAIK.

by the way, the berries are edible & quite tasty.

After a few years of training some vine(not sure on the spp), we had a really nice extension of the fence going all the way down one side of our house. (extension meaning, the fence was about 2ft higher because of this vine) It looks very nice in summer and provided good privacy.

Anyway, without warning, our 80+year old neighbor got his chainsaw out one day and went *phrooomp*. Destroying both his side of it and ours. To say the least we were very pissed off. It wound up looking nice and clean on his side, but the parts he was kind enough to leave us wound up dying and falling all over the place.

So anyway, It may help to mention it to your neighbor before getting out the chainsaw :) If they are good people I'm sure they will do what they can to help keep it out of your way.

Short of that. Start a small fire and blame it on 'those pesky kids down at number 48'

I wanna poison it and rid mankind of this noxious horrible plant.

I hate the shit and the smell it puts out is soo awful..what can I do.

H.

haha, one mans weed another mans treasure, lantana get's sold in nurseries in temeperate climats for lot's of dollars.

and to hate a thing, is never a good idea, lantana doe's a good job avoiding soil erosion, so it's a good thing.

send your love to lantana, look at her flowers, she is sooo special.

lantana is quite sensitive to foliar glyphosate application. Just use double strength and give it a good soal on the leaves. Reapply after a few weeks if there are any nice green leaves left on it.

Lantana has a very shallow root system Even a huge clump of it will only root about 20cm deep into the ground [if that] and the roots will probably only be less than 1m long. Most clumps can simply be pulled up by hand when the ground is soggy or loose.

The best option is to simply ask your neighbour if you can hack it back. Then paint the stump with pure glyphosate. If he is that old he is probably not able to keep it under control and might be happy for you to deal with it. if he is uncooperative you can still go the stealth spray way.

Noooo ! Stooop !!! don't use Roundup !!! It is VERY dangerous for your health, even in weak dosage ! Seriously, there have been talks and polemic about roundup recently, do a little search i think it was on the news. This "solution" would be far worse than the problem ! You would polute the whole garden for years. Well i don't know what to suggest...fire, boiling water ? spread cardboards on the lantana ? Is there a natural product that kills plants ?

Is there a natural product that kills plants ?

Capra aegagrus hircus, the domestic goat. We used to live next door to a huge patch of lantana and two goats. They never did kill it entirely but the goats sure kept the lantana from going any more insane.

Like its been said, cut it down the trunk with a chainsaw.

Then get a big syringe of concentrated glyphosphate and a power drill. Drill n fill works a charm as long as you fill it as soon as the hole is drilled.

Noooo ! Stooop !!! don't use Roundup !!! It is VERY dangerous for your health, even in weak dosage ! Seriously, there have been talks and polemic about roundup recently, do a little search i think it was on the news. This "solution" would be far worse than the problem ! You would polute the whole garden for years. Well i don't know what to suggest...fire, boiling water ? spread cardboards on the lantana ? Is there a natural product that kills plants ?

There is nothing you can really suggest. Things like Lantana, Camphor Laurel, Morning Glory (the indica species) and Privot in Australia are serious weeds that are very fuckn hard to kill. Spraying glyphosphate around like no tomorrow might not be a good thing but applying concentrated ammounts directly onto or into certain trees is not doing much harm as well. Keep the shit out of water ways and its all good.

And its still better than using organochlorates.

you will have to cut all the branchs off close to the base & paint the wounds with glyphosate (roundup) or some such herbacyde. either that or dig the whole thing out of the ground, making sure you get ALL the roots. pretty much the only ways to get rid of lantana AFAIK.

Second that.

I worked in Bush Regen for a while and painting the stump with glyphosate is certainly the most effective and enviro friendly herbicide solution. If you do this, cut the stump as low as possible and scrape with a knife the outer bark layer of the tops of the runners coming off the stump and paint as much exposed area as possible. Lantana wood is very soft to cut. I wouldnt reccomend spraying as it can take a few applications and sprayed herbicide can carry in the wind onto valued plants and possibly frog/aquatic habitat in certain locations. Lowest risk of exposure and unwanted contamination with cut and paint IMO.

Edited by Plantsoma

yeah sounds good Ill get over there and paint some Glypho on its stump and monitor its death... :devil:

H.

The hysteria around Glyphosate is a bit silly. Glyphosate does interfere with the energy cycle of most living beings, but the whole idea is that you do not consume it. In moist surface soil it is undetectable after a few weeks, so this whole thing about it being toxic for years is ludicrous.

However, I agree that the quantities used in agriculture are a different thing altogether. I certainly don't like the idea of veges grow in soil that is doused with the stuff every few weeks and such voluminous application also causes leaching into the water table and run off. Especially on broadacre farming such regular application can cause permanent changes to the soil flora and an increased uptake in the food plants. But we are talking about a single light application, preferably confined to a tiny area.

Glyphosate is widely used in re-gen without ill effect.

Personally I don't see the need for glyphosate in the case of isolated lantana as lantana is so easy to pull out.

The danger of Roundup wasn't linked with glyphosate (if i remember well) but with another compound in this product. Well, that's all i know about that .

Hm, why not use some acid instead ? lol

The danger of Roundup wasn't linked with glyphosate (if i remember well) but with another compound in this product. Well, that's all i know about that .

oh, come on, you have to do better than that. Roundup contains surfactants which are probably toxic if consumed by the cup full, but certainly would not justify the dramatic warnng you posted earlier.

ADasd

Edited by Teljkon

oh, come on, you have to do better than that. Roundup contains surfactants which are probably toxic if consumed by the cup full, but certainly would not justify the dramatic warnng you posted earlier.

Here: http://www.i-sis.org.uk/GTARW.php

I think my warning is justified but, of course, that is just my humble opinion. Anyway, i don't feel like having a Monsanto product used in my garden...

apart from those toxic issues, round up mostly doesn't solve a weed problem but even makes it worse.

i observed this very often, the council sprays an area which previously had some weeds, but mostly say some grasses growing. than everything dies down and looks horrible for a few weeks, till the next generation of weeds emerge.

now, many weeds seeds need light to germinate, so by killing everything above, the germing of the next generation of weeds is greatly helped, and the round up would have acted like a fertilizer in the mean time....

the problem in short is, that the weeds come back, but the grasses are not.

the grasses were, what kept the weeds to a certain limit at the first place (by avoiding the weed seeds to germinate and by competition).

i use round up at times, and no doubt it can make some gardening tasks a bit easier, but to think that just spraying get's rid of weeds and unwanted plants is total crap.

the only people which benefit from the spraying are the people making money with this product, and i think they are laughing all the way to the bank, because the more the councils :slap: spray, the more weeds they will have to spray next time..

Edited by planthelper

Here: http://www.i-sis.org.uk/GTARW.php

I think my warning is justified but, of course, that is just my humble opinion. Anyway, i don't feel like having a Monsanto product used in my garden...

LOL, that's the same author that promotes selenium supplements as the cure for AIDS. Seriously, they raise interesting questions about roundup, but I'd prefer to do the research myself than to trust these guys. They are pretty fucked up.....

Not all sites that claim to be independently scientific are in fact so.They may not be funded by monsanto, but they pander to a different crowd [which rewards them by buying hysterical books and visiting their site].

Planthelper, lantana bushes produce such a dense canopy at this time of year that a fine spray onto the leaves will not affect the plants beneath. But like others have stated repeatedly, the best way to use glyphosate is to paint it concentrated onto the stem, which avoids your scenario entirely.

LOL, that's the same author that promotes selenium supplements as the cure for AIDS.

Hmm didn't know that, that's fucked up. Where is "real science" those days :rolleyes: lol

Hmm didn't know that, that's fucked up. Where is "real science" those days :rolleyes: lol

For real science trust no one! The design of a study or experiment can easily influence the outcome, so to get to the truth you have to look at the study itself, not its interpretations [incl abstracts] or re-hashes.

The other thing to consider is 'vested interest'. This is obvious in cases such as monsanto funding research, but we often think that environmental warriors are pure at heart and we can trust them implicitly. However, don't forget that there is a huge industry of panic merchants who reply on hysteria for their book sales and lecture circuits.

One of the best examples of this is the whole CODEX Alimentarius drama in australia. This has been such a big seller overseas that so many people jumped on the bandwagon, oblivious to the fact that australian therapeutics laws already go well beyond the Codex. This doesn't stop dozens of drama merchants from going on lecture tours and selling books that spread misinformation. And people lap it up because they do not see the commercial motivation behind it.

Trust no one! or at the very least look into the background of the researchers. I took me just 5 minutes to find several obvious disreputable things about the author you cited - on their own website! The AIDS thing was just the most ridiculous of the lot. And I am not saying that Selenium doesn't work in at least some people, but geez, it's not going to cure the epidemic.