The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Qhorakuna tantani

Goji plant

Just thought I'd share,

post-747-1231911963_thumb.jpg

post-747-1231912021_thumb.jpg

I only bought it about 4 months ago, and its only in a small pot. They looked much better yesterday morning, and then we had a 41 degree day that was windy as hell. In fact, I'm surprised they're still there at all. Sorry for the quality.

I really want some Goji plants!

Does anybody know if they are hard to start from seed?

Very easy from the dried berries you get from the supermarket

Wow.... 41 degree's that's hot...particularly for a Mediterranean winter... :P

H.

soaked store bought seeds for a few days,removed as much flesh as i could,planted.

fungus removed after a couple days............now have a punnet in need of thinning out.......quite impressed.

t s t .

Sweet action, thanks for the photos! Looks like the plant could benefit from some pruning to maximise bushiness and hopefully fruit production, but I suspect it'd be better to leave that for next season now that it is flowering already?

Goji :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

Edited by Sina

been chewing a few goji sprouts as i thin them......interesting,nice,bitterish green flavour.....psychoactive?......roots maoi [b?].

t s t .

Tantra - Lycium is in solanaceae, so maybe tropaney?

Sina- Goji goes to vine so I'm thinking of whacking it in the ground soon and letting her climb all over the place. Just gotta find a good spot.

I made a jam from dried fruit which was alright, but I'm thinking fresh fruit would work much better :D

Have been munching on the dehydrated goji berries in a packet lately as part of my detox program and have developed a small addiction to them. They really are tasty and good for you, so has anyone had any luck growing this one in Aus, is it hardy, easy to grow, specific conditions etc...I'd really like to grow my own vine if I can find some fresh beans.

H.

Got some Lycium barbarum plants from bunnings last year.

They never really took off though, I believe they're all dead now. Dont know why, they just always looked rather weedy and sickly.

Too wet? Too dry?

When I went back to bunnings a few weeks later they all looked pretty shite, and had been marked down to half price.

From wiki:

Two published case reports described elderly women who experienced increased bleeding, expressed as an elevated INR, after drinking finite amounts of wolfberry tea.[44][45] Further in vitro testing revealed that the tea inhibited warfarin metabolism, providing evidence for possible interaction between warfarin and undefined wolfberry phytochemicals.[44]

Atropine, a toxic alkaloid found in other members of the Solanaceae family, occurs naturally in wolfberry fruit. The atropine concentrations of berries from China and Thailand are variable, with a maximum content of 19 ppb, below the likely toxic amount.[46]

Hmm..I am suspicious about the health benefit hype. Seems like the emperor's new clothes.

It's the same with wheatgrass shots. Few years ago, all the marketing hype espoused the benefits e.g 1oz of juice equals a few pounds of fruit and veg, The highest nutrient content of any juice.

It pretty much has all been debunked now...there is just no evidence the human ingestion of chlorophyll has any benefit, not sure about the hemoglobin. Anyway, digressing, Goji berries are tasty and it beats snacking on processed food...I just expect them to go the same way as wheatgrass in a few years.

As for cultivation, I remember hearing they come from areas of Nepal and China...I would assume they would do fine in the milder parts of Aus.

- Coop

Edited by Dale Cooper

Very easy from the dried berries you get from the supermarket

Is this true, can you germinate the dried store bought berry...?

H.

at the bare minimum dale they do contain antioxidants.

Is this true, can you germinate the dried store bought berry...?

H.

Yes I have one which was germinated from seed from store bought dried fruit, the plant never looks particularly happy and I really don't know what it likes and Ive had it for about 2 years now.

On my packet of Goji berries it has the claim of;

Compare Antioxidants

Goji Berries........25,300

Prunes...............5770

Strawberries.......1540

Oranges.............750

does anyone know what these numbers represent...?

What I do know is that every time I do a detox and go for health, my body craves fresh strawberries, I've eaten about 10 punnets in the last week, not sure what's in the strawberry that my body wants, but the cravings are strong that's for sure.

H.

EDit: thanks Fenris, I'll have a go at germinating some then...maybe they like a high altitude or cold climate.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Whoa...I had no idea Goji berries were so off the chart in terms of antioxidants. :o

Hunab

does anyone know what these numbers represent...?

Oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) Measures the actual capacity for a food to carry antioxidants.

What I do know is that every time I do a detox and go for health, my body craves fresh strawberries, I've eaten about 10 punnets in the last week, not sure what's in the strawberry that my body wants, but the cravings are strong that's for sure.

You crave them beacuse they taste so good ;) My second favorite after raspberries. Wild alpine strawberries would have to be the tastiest I have tried...very small, but packed full of flavor. I grew a bed of Japanese Ichigo a few years ago after hearing people mention how sweet and tasty they were...was thoroughly disappointing, bland to say the least. I'm inclined to say I had bad specimens considering how many people rave about them.

- Coop

Edited by Dale Cooper

I have some of those i'm growing indoors at the moment. They grow fast once they get about 6" tall. Then they take off but more like a vine than a tree.

I put 3 of mine outside and they are alive but haven't shown any growth yet after a few days. It's summer here. They are supposed to like a lot of sun. I don't expect any fruit unless they flower in the fall. I'll probably have to wait until next year. I'm going to keep planting them outside and some day have a whole lot of them to the point i can eat them if not year around, at least during the season. I may dry them and freeze them if i get enough. It's fun to dream.