The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

TBM cultication tips

[note I also posted this in the nook, hope there's no problem]

Hi all...

I have a couple 10-12 cm long, relatively thin [~3cm?] TBM cuts.. What should I be doing, apart from graft [which is not very easy, due to length and shape] ?

I have heard they grow VERY slowly... Is it so bad? Could they be planted outside in a moderate climate [that is do they pertain the cold hardiness of normal bridgesii?] . How slow is the growth in an established plant with plenty of roots? Do they root slowly or what?? Or I should just handle like a normal [small] cutting ?

What about grafting a tip with no areole [as you know, most areoles are in the base of the cuts, near the calous] ?

Any opinions, experiences, tips, are greatly appreciated....

There they are, my new arrivals, you should be able to tell which are the TBMS

th_DSCN3877.jpg

Oh, is it Clone A or B ?? :P

Edited by mutant

They grow fast, very fast. They're cold hardy like normal bridgesii, so you can plant them outside.

You don't need to graft them, but you could if you wanted to, if you do, make sure the piece you graft has some areoles so it can sprout new arms/sections.

They look like the smaller clone, whichever one that is.

Thanks a lot mate... :)

yeah, I thinking of rooting them... they're pretty longish for graft, and I haven't got much experience in grafting.. my stocks aren't yet ready anyways... thanks for the answer... I might consider grafting some of the pups in the future maybe...

about 2 or three months ago i placed a tiny 'knob' section about 5cm tall into a little pot. in about one and a half months it sent out some roots. it might have been quicker than that but i wasn't checking it very often. the roots are now growing pretty quickly. i was surprised because i too had heard they grow very slowly. anyone know roughly how long they take to send out a pup?

I know there's a few older threads on general TBM cultivation/propagation if you wanna hit the SE. Essentially, just callous, plant and grow like any other bridgesii. They dont particularly like being planted in the ground, so get them in smallish pots (or several in a larger pot). Ensure that you dont over water them because they can be a bit rot prone, especially if they have wet feet while rooting.

I haven't seen any improvement in grafted sections (clumping clone grafted to PC pachanoi) - they grow about the same as a rooted one, so I recommend not bothering with grafting. They are slower growing because they only seem to pup during spring, then spend the growing season on that year's pups (at least IME). Almost no action in my parts over winter (kept outdoors with a few mild frosts), so I'd think that makes them much slower than if they were growing in a warmer year-round climate.

All in all, very, very easy to grow - just remember to keep an eye on overwatering.

yeah, I thinking of rooting them...

Filthy bastard! :P

I got excellent growth out of my TBMs during winter in the greenhouse, much better than spring/summer growth. Pups were large and the plants didnt seem to have a break with new pups emerging whilst the previous ones were still forming, i would have quiet easily tripled my collection of TBMs during that period. Ill have to agree with ace in saying they dont seem to like going in the ground, i have no idea why but the growth rate just doesnt seem as good as potted plants. Even plants in larger pots dont seem to have the vigour of ones in smaller pots which is very puzzling for me and may just be something only i experience but id like to know why this is so.

A crested segment would be a nice bonus one day :)

edited for stupidity

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

They grow fine in the ground, same as any other trich. A mate has a large collection of tbms, most of them in the ground, and the same size plant in the ground vs in a pot grows 2 - 3 times faster/larger in the same amount of time.

Edited by egad

Thanks for comments :)

Interesting somewhat different opinions... I have 3 cuts and a very mild sunny climate, so I guess I will have some stuff to say about small pot/big pot/ground later this year :)

Ace, don't mind I had already decided to root them... Your posts are always appreciated and valued, whatever the timing ;)

Even plants in larger pots dont seem to have the vigour of ones in smaller pots which is very puzzling for me and may just be something only i experience but id like to know why this is so.

PD, you're not alone - I've noticed exactly the same thing. It'd seem my fastest growing TBMs are actually in the smallest pots, small enough that I'd have repotted long ago if they were a different cacti..

Hmmmm I have an idea why this might be like that.... I remember someone person knowledgeable enough, maybe trout [?] told me that bridgesii's seem to grow inbetween waterings .... so maybe, just maybe, because TBMs are bridgesii's, and small pots offer better drainage, therefore more dry periods , maybe this is why.... are you with me??? or I am talking to myself?? :)

As Vert has mentioned before and I agree with, planting them into small but deep pots provides much heavier pupping, although I have noticed the pups are a lot smaller.

I have one planted in a wide, shallow pot and it has only put out 2 pups so far this season however all the knobs on it a quite large.

I know there's a few older threads on general TBM cultivation/propagation if you wanna hit the SE. Essentially, just callous, plant and grow like any other bridgesii. They dont particularly like being planted in the ground, so get them in smallish pots (or several in a larger pot). Ensure that you dont over water them because they can be a bit rot prone, especially if they have wet feet while rooting.

I haven't seen any improvement in grafted sections (clumping clone grafted to PC pachanoi) - they grow about the same as a rooted one, so I recommend not bothering with grafting. They are slower growing because they only seem to pup during spring, then spend the growing season on that year's pups (at least IME). Almost no action in my parts over winter (kept outdoors with a few mild frosts), so I'd think that makes them much slower than if they were growing in a warmer year-round climate.

All in all, very, very easy to grow - just remember to keep an eye on overwatering.

yeah, I thinking of rooting them...

Filthy bastard! :P

wish someone would cum and root some of my TBM segments :P

planting them into small but deep pots provides much heavier pupping, although I have noticed the pups are a lot smaller.

I find the size of the pups is entirely dependent on how many there are. If there is only one, it'll grow huge and fat, if there are two or more, they are substantially smaller because they are sharing the energy stores. I think that can be said with almost all cacti though - if there is a single column/button/head, they tend to grow faster/thicker/etc, but if there are several tips/buttons/etc on the one rootball they grow somewhat slower.

All to do with how much energy is put into each. Some tips/buttons/pups stall because the plant will decide to put all it's energy into one or two, compared to several which would consume more energy and mature slower.

Not sure if it is also dependent on pot sizes, however I've definately noted the above.