The Corroboree
Thelema

Galbulimima bioassays

I had become interested in the effects of Magnolia Bark after trying the patented formulation of Relora, which is a 2:1 mixture of powdered magnolia bark and phellodendron. It seems to show great promise in being a pleasant GABAergic substance. As I was pondering the possibility of obtaining some fresh bark for further assays, I recalled that sitting in my garage in a dark and cool place I had stashed away what is probably the largest amount of Galbulimima bark in anyone’s possession in the western world, barring pharmacological development organizations. The bark was identified and given to me by a well-known Australian semi-professional ethnobotanist a couple of years ago, sourced from north Queensland, Australia. Quite frankly I was scared to try a series of bioassays on it at the time, due to its relatively unknown nature and mechanisms of action. I had also had a nasty experience with amanita around that time and was unwilling to go anywhere near other psychedelic substances that purportedly had their major action on the muscarine receptors. A small sample was tried many years ago, by me and a friend, the details of which can be found at www.shaman-australis.com/forums/ or here.-A size of bark equivalent to a 10c piece was thoroughly masticated and a mild anxiolytic effect was felt, and that was about all there was to say about this bark ethnobotanically apart from traditional reports and one western report found here.

Let me say at the outset, that I am gravely unsure that this substance should be released unto the world. I think if it ever became available mainstream then it could well be likened to a plague visiting humanity. I also realize that there is no holding back on the inquest of the human mind, and that at some point, if it is not me that is introducing the entheogenic effects of this bark to the world then one day, it will be someone else. I am sadly aware that the transmission of this information will only heighten curiosity in this substance, yet also feel that it is my responsibility to report on what I have found, if only to highlight the dangers. I feel like I am introducing Quetzalcoatl. (Please indulge the melodrama – this was written shortly after the tryptamine combination described below)

The Assays: it must be remembered that the age of the bark may have diminished or even changed the alkaloidal content in the bark somewhat – also it must be remembered that due to its age its moisture content is also extremely reduced, probably rendering the bark per unit of weight much higher in alkaloidal concentration.

1)

A significant amount of bark was broken into tiny pieces and thoroughly ground in an electric coffee grinder/ice grinder until finely powdered and partially fibrous 2.5mm needles. In my system is 2 drinks of Kava, prepared from about 2 teaspoons, and 4mg of oxazepam.

T:0.00 half a teaspoon (1.25g) of the bark was washed down quickly with a small glass of water. Taste is very bitter, almost quinine-like, and slightly hot, in a cinnamony sort of way.

T:0.30 A funny feeling in my head with a slight relaxation of the physical and cognitive faculties. It feels like I am slightly drunk, with a bit of a headache in the frontal cranium.

T:0.50 Another half teaspoon is washed down with water. The drunken feeling increases after another half hour, with a noticeable anxiolytic effect. I feel calmer and my sense of time seems to slow down, but not significantly.

T:2.00 the effects seem to have stopped. I decide to go to bed, and as I enter the dark room there is a brief “remote viewing” flash, for maybe about half a second, a scene before my eyes that is completely still, colourful and real.

T:11.00 I wake up after having experienced very confrontational dreams all night. There seems to be a motif of childhood memories with a sense of having to justify one’s personality to a random assortment of characters.

T: 11.00-20:00 All day I notice a summery, holiday-like antidepressant feeling. I feel slightly numb to ego-problems and sort of drifty - quite mellow, amenable and well balanced really. There seems to be no cognitive, emotional or social impairment. In fact, it aids social activity.

2)

T: 24.00 (hereafter 0.00) I decide to try 2.5 (6.25g) heaped teaspoons of the powdered bark. As before, it is washed down with a glass of water.

T:0.25 effects come on strongly. The alkaloids here seem to be absorbed by the body extremely rapidly. I have never really known a substance to act so fast orally.

T:0.40 I am staggering, can’t balance properly and stumble into the wall. My whole mind and body seems to have slowed right down to a point of stillness and absolute tranquillity. I have felt this feeling before but at the time can’t quite seem to remember when or what. There are 2 things that come to my mind at this point: that this could be GABAergic or opioid. But I am wrong: it slowly dawns on me where I have experienced this before: it is a feeling of dissociation, an anaesthetic dissociation, and seems very similar to the effects brought on by DXM, and what I imagine Ketamine to be like. Galbulimima is NOT a psychedelic, it is a dissociative! Reporters in the literature of the “sleepiness” induced by this bark had obviously not experienced dissociative anaesthesia and thus used the terms of description most familiar in their vocabulary. There is an unmistakeable NMDA antagonist signature to the experience. This would make it, apart from ibogaine (and related compounds), the only natural-known NMDA antagonist in nature.

T:2.00 The feeling of utter relaxation seems to be waning and the experience is changing into a strangely alert but depersonalized afterglow feeling. I decide to go to bed but I cannot sleep. Upon closing the eyes, there are many “remote viewing” types of scenes flashing before my eyes but they seem quite below the surface, not as fully present to consciousness as similar visions induced by DXM. My sciatic nerves start to ache and I am tossing and turning. There is a curious drifting feeling that sort of feels like sleepiness yet which keeps me awake.

T:4.00 My partner wakes up and a major confrontational scene erupts, and is acting out of control. This proves to be a portentious sign, in keeping with the motif of galbulimima intoxication.

T:6.00 I finally get a couple of hours sleep in the early hours of the morning, and the sleep is filled with confrontational, very vivid, colourful and realistic scenes, combing present anxieties with childhood environments; the backyard on a swing from 25 years ago, sitting around the dining table in the country residence when I was 9. These scenes seem mixed together with present anxieties: alcohol, lack of enthusiasm in self-nature, self-justification to parental figures.

T:10:00 I wake up and am still very much affected. My appetite for food is shot, I do not take any food for nearly T:48 hours. Every time I eat, the visions and galbulimima experience seems to gain force and I have to lie down in bed.

T:24.00 I still feel the effects very strongly, but in a strangely neutral way. If I had to speculate, I would say that the speculated NMDA antagonist in galbulimima binds irreversibly to the receptor. I feel like I need to wash the substance from my head, so I buy some vodka, but it does not really help.

T:32:00 It is morning and I think I have slept about 2 hours tonight. That’s about 4 hours sleep in 48 hours. Constant sciatic pain is brought under control by vitamin B complex tablets.

T:38.00 I am at the beach lying in the ocean on my back. I feel very dissociated for the whole day, and I cannot eat. The substance is very much still in my head, and the effect waxes and wanes. In the afternoon it is particularly strong and I rest for 2 hours, the sub-conscious remote viewing scenes keep flowing through me throughout the whole day. It feels pleasant in some way but I feel like my personality has a permanent visitor, a helping but ultimately anaesthetic spirit.

T:48.00 I drink some more vodka. The galbulimima will not wash from my head. I am still affected. It is scary, because if I have damaged part of my brain I know that there is no-one that can help me. Partly, it is exciting being on this cutting-edge: One gets so used to understanding things that it really seems quite spiritual to have a plant communing with me without me having any idea about its psychopharmacology. I must accept it for what it is. The desire not to eat or sleep seems stronger than ever.

T:50.00 I decide to take half a tab of LSD and 2g of psilocybe mushrooms. Don’t ask me why, I’m not sure.

T:51.30 Utter chaos ensues. I am very experienced with an assortment of chemicals, and I have never experienced anything like this before. It is steep, negative and scary. It is scarier than 5meo-DMT. I eventually work up enough semblance to terminate the trip with 5mg Olanzapine, 15mg oxazepam and 1000mg of phenibut. During this period the galbulimima shines through: it tells me in no uncertain terms its name: “Ghost-bark”. Galbulimima is the Ghost. It is at this stage that I realize the utter devastation that this substance will have on mankind if it ever becomes a mainstream entheogen. It seems like a Philip K Dick sort of nightmare.

T:52.30 I go to bed and fall asleep for 12 hours.

3) I decided to try a daily reduced regeime of the bark to test its therapeutic potential at sub-psychedelic doses.

The trial lasts for 30 days, and on average on each day I take 750mg of the bark before sleeping.

The dreams are beneficial, not as vivid or intense but sleep is light. Most pronounced effect is with social phobia. I feel for the first time in 10 years free to relax socially and make small chat, and feel powerful enough to take to a podium and speak, or have protracted conversations with shop assistants. I am more animated with customers and colleagues at work than I have ever been, and feel quite interpersonally cheerful and unflappable. Whatever section of the brain this acts on, I feel it has great promise pharmacologically as a view to new antidepressant or sociophobic medication.

There is a powerful urge to exercise on this bark, and I begin to sweat it out aerobically for the first time in 10 years. Even 1 month after quitting the regeime, I still retain an increased daily habit of exercise.

After a week, the afternoons bring a strange sort of sleepy malaise, slightly depersonalized, probably about as strong, as say, a standard SSRI. This pretty much disappears into the 3rd week.

Over the month there is 1 side effect worth noting: my neck muscles seem to be in rigor, and every morning I wake up with a terrible headache. Most of the headache seems to be from an aggravation of the C1 vertebra – but there is also a recurrent headache happening in the area of my head around the prefrontal motor cortex, phrenologically speaking.

1 month after, some of the social confidence installed has vacated, yet I still seem somehow more confident.

I had hoped to include in this report a 12.5g dose, a high psychedelic experience. Yet I do not think that at the moment I am up to it and will maybe try it in a year or so. The only other information that I can offer is the following: a very close friend of mine, upon urging, tried 2.5g of the bark before bed. They had vivid confrontational dreams that seem to have sparked a 4-month journey of unburdening and uncovering of repressed feeling and memories, within semblance of normal psychological parameters. However, this experience was not “blind” as they were fully aware of the content of my experience before ingesting.

Galbulimima bark and leaf is currently available at one Australian Ethno vendor as an experimental compound.

To date no live plants are for sale in the marketplace.

THL

• Like 3

thank you very much for this very special report!

i remeber the galbulimima (i think i got some from the same person, but never tried it) tread from long ago, i am very impressed that you, after having this bark in your garage for so long found the courage to do this bioessay.

i feel very strong for you specialy once you realized that some irreversible action might be at work and you felt the need to wash it out you system, but could not.

very interesting reports, i was just looking at that ethno shop the other day noticing that bark and was thinkign about, i find it very interesting it told you its name this plant. ghost bark, very interesting thank you for doing the report.

your a brave person to throw in 1/2 tab of acid and 2 grams of cubensis, on top of all this. thank you for your work.

Looks like something deep is going on there :wink: good work and amazing story....and a warm welcome to the Ghost Bark in the 21th century lol...!

• Like 1

Were there any other drugs in your system when you had the second trial of 6.25mgs?

Do you think doubling that dose is a good idea? From what you wrote you sound FAR more experienced than myself in such things, but I'm finding it hard to swallow that you want to double such an already seemingly intense experience.

Maybe it's just because I have mixed feelings about DXM trips. The hallucinations are great, but I very much dislike the paralysed feeling. This stuff sounds vaguely like DXM mixed with GABA/phenibut/baclofen.

well it is great to finally hear some detailed reporting on this rare psychoactive.!!

I have been looking for a source for this plant for sometime.

too bad the only commercially avialable material that has come to market is too expensive for me to research at the time being.

I would gladly trade large amounts of blue lilly for any resource for this bark material.

now, I dont know about this particular species having any nmda antagonist active compounds. I have done a little research into this plant and really the only component of this plant that I know to have psychoactive effect is the alkaloid himbacine which is a potent antagonist of the muscarinic M2 subtype receptor 1.

that compound alone could probably be held accountable for many of the effects that you experienced with this plant material.

the idea of a source of nmda antagonist active plant material is stimulating...

I have had long term experience with the nmda antagonist dxm. in low doses this type of psychoactive is almost like taking an antideppressant.

anyway, your research excites me, as it sounds like a relative small amount of at least certian bark material is quite active.

the effects sound a little too strong for this herb to probably gain widespread approval as an herbal sedative or such. but probably this plant when harnessed will provide at least a small amount of people the chance to branch out into some wonderfully novel bioassay experience!!

one of the most interesting posts of the new year!!

thanks alot!

Hodgkinsine, which is found in Psychotria colorata (and other Psychotria sp) as well as Hodgkinsonia frutescens is supposedly both a mu opioid agonist and an NMDA antagonist - http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...showtopic=18108 So Ghost bark might not be the only naturally occurring NMDA antagonist.

Thelema: You are hardcore!

fascinating stuff Thel!

I am just a bit cautious about the extreme effects you experienced as quite a few people tried that bark at the time it was passed around and no one got any decent effects from it [even at higher doses than you describe]! This may have many reasons, but two that stand out in this case. One is that you personally often have different or even opposite reactions to certain substances than everyone else does. The other is that there were other substances involved which may have primed you. Not that that makes it any less interesting because these combinations can be replicated if needed. Indeed it may be something as simple as the kava that makes all the difference and may be quite similar to the traditional combinations in a pharmacological sense.

I've got a bit of the same bark here and will try some low dose experiments in the next few days as this truely intrigues me.

Also, naming sources is not a problem here, even if it is that one :P

• Like 1

have smoked about 1/4 tsp full a number of times.....fairly consistant light sedation/relaxation with improved sleep afterwards.

no offence but there seems a subtext of alcohol driving your life?the vodka intake in response to the threat of nmda reset [possibly curing your addiction like iboga]?

thanx for sharing your work,appreciate it muchly!

anything known yet about ereriba the unidentified hamalamena sp reported as admixture.

maybe it can lead to some ideas?

t s t .

First experience had the kava etc combo. The second experience the night after my system was clean of other pschoactives. I have a strong feeling, not mentioned above, that the second night higher doseage was "primed" in some respects by having the sub-critical dose 24 hours before, that is, certain metabolites or substances were still operating 24 hrs later that vamped up the experience. I would encourage anyone trying to replicate these experiments to ensure this day-before dose is replicated too.

And yes, sadly, there is an alcohol-drive in my life that I can't shake. I would give my second life to live in a world without alcohol.

Best info I have found so far: http://www.shaman-australis.com/~benjamin-...lbu_belgra.html

And in The entheogen Vol 14, no 1 (2005) there is more details about two experiences:

In 1957, the Australian dietician Lucy Hamilton (Mrs. J.

Reid) conducted an experiment at Okapa in the Eastern

Highlands of Papua New Guinea to observe the effects of

eating a substance called “agara” bark, identified as the

species Galbulimima belgraveana (F. Muell.) Sprague

(Hamilton 1960). The French ethnobotanist Jacques

Barrau was also present at Okapa to observe this experiment

(Barrau 1958). A local man called Ogia volunteered

to do the bioassay. Seven or eight pieces of “agara” bark about

the “size of a penny” were chewed and swallowed. While

Ogia masticated the bark, he also smoked some tobacco,

chewed some ginger, and additionally ate the dried leaves of

a plant called “ereriba” (an unidentified Homalomena species).

Following consumption of all this, Ogia waited for the

effects, which began shortly thereafter:

[…He] began to tremble, as they say, “like a kuru meri.”

His arms and body trembled, but not his legs. After a

few minutes of this, he suddenly became quite violent.

He swept all the things off the table and would have done

quite a bit of damage if I hadn’t had a policeman standing

by to detain him. I was very thankful for this forethought

as I was the only European on the station at the

time… He was put in handcuffs and let go outside. He

picked up a stick and chased several people with it. He

tried to take a bush knife from a workman in the garden.

The station women were warned to keep their children

inside. I am convinced that his behavior was not an act,

as from a pleasant mild little man, he had suddenly become

a crazed being. He neither spoke or smiled, and at

first did not appear to hear. The pupils of his eyes were

mere pinpoints. At the onset of violence the trembling

had ceased (Hamilton 1960).

Ogia’s destructive frenzy was followed by calmness, euphoria,

drowsiness, and finally a deep sleep that lasted for several

hours (Hamilton 1960). It has been suggested that, after

eating “agara” bark, one experiences visions while asleep

(Schultes & Hofmann 1979; Hamilton 1960). For this reason,

the bark has been called “dream man” among the Fore

people (Hamilton 1960), although several other substances

used by the Fore to produce visions are also known by this

term, including the “ereriba” that Ogia had eaten, as well as

“maraba” (Kaempferia galangal) (Hamilton 1960). However,

Ogia reported no visions related to his experience. He later

told Hamilton that the reason he did not experience any

visions was because he did not want to. It was also suggested

to Hamilton that in this experiment, Ogia had eaten “agara”

bark in the morning and not in the evening, which was

thought to be the proper time to eat “dream man.” The only

aftereffect reported by Ogia was a stomach ache (Hamilton

1960).

MY OWN EXPERIENCE

On September 21, 2003, at 7:15 pm, I bioassayed dried and

powdered “agara” bark. Below is the chronology of effects.

7:15 pm • Begin chewing 10 grams of “agara” bark

7:16 pm • Intensely bitter taste

7:20 pm • Strong alkaloidal after taste, similar to quinine

7:25 pm • Bark is swallowed

7:55 pm • First alert, becoming drowsy

7:57 pm • Dilated pupils

8:00 pm • Difficulty in concentration

8:05 pm • Increased pulse and heart rate

8:10 pm • Pleasant drowsiness, similar to 0.3 mg dose of

hyoscine (scopolamine) hydrobromide, but

without changes in perception

8:15 pm • Dizziness

8:20 pm • Lying down with eyes closed, no eidetic images

8:25 pm • Relaxation

8:30 pm • Hypnagogic state with no dreams

9:55 pm • Drowsiness wearing off

10:05 pm • Afterglow, euphoria

10:25 pm • Baseline, no aftereffects

The effects that I got from eating “agara” bark could be characterized

as a “plus two” on the “Degree of Intensity Scale”

(Shulgin et al. 1986), also known as the “Quantitative Scale

of Potency” (Shulgin & Shulgin 1991); that is, “There is an

unmistakable effect, and both the duration and the nature

of the effect can be stated.”

Edited by knarkkorven

For what it's worth from someone who has little experience in trying ethnobotanicals... when I smoked around a fifth of a cone of galbulimima bark I thought it instantly tasted like the small amounts of mandrake I've smoked- sort of tangy-metallic. Similar feeling too with a kind of murkiness like a very thin veil of darkness clouding my head, eyes, and ears. Light sedation, nothing too overpowering. I've had nothing else in my system apart from food so there's nothing else to be confused. I'd like to try a slightly bigger dose just before bedtime.

Twenty minutes after 2nd same-sized dose still some general vagueness but nothing too distracting.

Hi,

just a recent update concerning the end of my 6 month trial with this bark.

Every night before going to bed I had about 500mg of the powdered bark washed down with water.

Some observations:

POSITIVES

virtually banished sleep apnoea, contributing to a greater vitality and brain health during the day.

eleminated any minor negative schizotypal symptomology

helped significantly with social anxiety

very powerful onierogen, especially in the earlier months. Months 3-6 this effect had disappeared.

no withdrawal effects

NEGATIVES

After the first month approx. 20 hours after ingestion on average, a neuralgia-like symptom present through the body. This could be alleviated with more bark [which was not my habit of doing], green tea and anti-inflammatories also helped. A persistant neuralgia around my root chakra/sacrum ended up being the reason for terminating taking this bark. 3 days have elapsed and the nerves are calming down; it was beginning to turn into a full-blown sciatica down my right leg. Funnily enough, this neuralgia was made much worse by concommitant ingestion of oxiracetam. Psychaedelics enabled me on occasion to 'retrain' this screwed-up sacral neuralgia.

COMBINATIONS

It enhances the activity of Piracetam.

Enhances the activity of Psychaedelics.

REFLECTIONS

I no longer hold onto the belief that there is some NMDA activity going on. I am quite content that the medicinal actions are due to antagonism of the Muscarinic-2 aceytlcholine receptors. Antagonism at this receptor is quite unique, there is evidence that it improves the overall tone and sensitivity of other acetylcholine subtypes.

There is an interesting correlation between the colour of the bark and its activity. The darker the bark, the stronger the medicinal effects seem to be.

I am still too much in awe anytime soon to try a dose larger than my 7.5g dose. I suggest that only people who can handle a week or so of feeling depersonalized, with no work-related or other responsibilities dare take up that mantle.

I still don't know why my 7.5g dose seemed so strong. It is not inconceivable that I just managed to grind up some bark that was higher-than average alkaloidally speaking. I also maintain that an important aspect to this was priming the system 24-hours beforehand with a 1.5g dose.

Others have tried the bark, at a 1.5g dose for oniergic effects. At this level, a significant "walking-on sunshine" feeling is felt the following day. Significant personal and emotional dreams were encountered by this subject.

see www.herbalistics.com.au for a supplier of the bark.

so this is the g baccata then? seems different to the earlier available one. esp the leaf which has a very interesting flavour.......later today,maybe then.......

thanx for the research,very interesting.......

t s t .

any negative interactions you can think of?apart from the oxyracetam.

that side effect was not there with piracetam?

Edited by t st tantra

Another negative, which I had just come to edit in, but since you asked, I'll post here instead:

NEGATIVE

significant cardiac interaction, from months 4-6 especially with nicotine and alcohol, the day after a "big night". Funny surges in cardiac firing then long "missing a beat" periods. felt quite unhealthy really. Was alleviated by reduction in nicotine consumption. M2 receptors are very dense in cardiac tissue, it seems himbacine or other m2 actives in this bark take a while to reach plasma levels that affect cardiac function noticeably.

tst, not sure about your question : so this is the g.baccata? If what you mean is, did I source this from herbalistics then the answer is no, I was gifted this by Reville. I guess this might be 'the earlier available one" (remember him?) So it would probably be from a different source. I have not tried herbalistics galbulimima and I have not tried leaf.

thanx.......the herbalistics is a bit different in effects so i was curious which you were using.

t s t .

TST - For the benefit of the post and for me can you give a brief outline of your experiences with the "new" material?

Also, for those willing to join, I'll post some of the "old" free to you, if you wish - only if you promise to contribute to this post. Send a PM. Preference given to those committed to also trying and posting about the "new" stuff at herbalistics.

I did some experimenting with Galbulimima baccata bark powder purchased from Herbalistics recently, in an attempt to replicate the experience that Themela noted at the start of the thread:

a very close friend of mine, upon urging, tried 2.5g of the bark before bed. They had vivid confrontational dreams that seem to have sparked a 4-month journey of unburdening and uncovering of repressed feeling and memories, within semblance of normal psychological parameters.

I consumed 2.5 grams a night for 8 days, washed down with water. It was consumed about an hour before bed, about an hour after kava (approx. 2 tablespoons) was consumed.

Unfortunately the effects were very minimal. Before going to bed only the slightest light headed feeling was detected a few days into the experiement.

Dreams did become slightly more vivid than usual, but nothing really notable. Dream topic was just random trippy stuff, nothing "confrontational".

However, I have never had any luck with other dream catalysts sampled previously, such as calea, mugwort, silene, salvia d. Maybe I'm some sort of dream hard-head from smoking too much of the good stuff over the years.

• Like 1

thanks HEyebrow and others great post!

Just on the Only known NMDA antagonist in nature minor error, which detracts a little from such good work

to add to the known list a little

Uncaria rynchophylla

and apparently it may be the rhynchophylline which is present in a few of the Uncaria genus

and members of the borader family

Hupperzia genus contains some known phytochemicals with nmda actions

Any plant with a lot of magnesium in it even cocoa may have a very mild nmda antag. effect, perhaps a zinc and taurine component too though these are on the extremely mild end of the nmda antag. continuum

Ah yes, thanks for that. I actually found out that information researching after writing the original post - I didn't think to modify the original post. Of course, all of these plants actions are quite mild for instance I remember reading that for uncaria you'd have to take about 5g per kg of bodyweight for the ndma effects to manifest. Also, agmatine is quite a strong endogenous ndma receptor antagonist.

just a recent update concerning the end of my 6 month trial with this bark.

Every night before going to bed I had about 500mg of the powdered bark washed down with water.

that's a lot of bitter bark to chew... respect for trying out this poorly understood plant. What I wanted to ask: do you still have some left? I'm currently running chemical analyses of New Guinean bark samples collected several years ago and would love to include yours for comparison. 1 g would be enough. Best, AY

There is 2 mature examples of this tree growing close to my place. I have looked everywhere for when the fruit are supposed to appear and cannot find any details. Does anyone here know flowering/fruiting times?? I was guessing around October but I am not sure. Has anyone tried the dried leaves before? I can easily get lots of dried leaves off the ground but don't want to go damaging the tree by scraping bark off the trunk, I would prefer to get some fruit and grow them myself and plant some of them back out into the bush, seeing how it is a rare tree.

edit: It flowers in September

Edited by Leaves