The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vertmorpheus

Wanted

Evening all... morningish, for you Mexicans out there.

I was after decent beans for the following...

Salvia officinalis

Salvia apiana

Salvia nemerosa

Damiana - quite a bit, if you have it handy.

Calea z - esp. tried n trues

Passiflora incarnata - fresh

Henbane (viable, duh)

Withania, Justicia

Baniaudiopsis haati (cuts, beans, whichever suits)

Can trade for freshish turbina, peganum, heimia, nicotiana, pachyrhizzus, caffea, basil seeds, wee pach pups, epiphyllum/seleni cuts, brug cuts, seeds for the spikest tree i ever did see, monstrose opuntia cuts, kalanchoe beharensis seeds, entertaining cyperus rotunda seeds, various odds n sods.

Prefer lots of 30 seeds at least, pm me.

VM

if you buy a bag of damiana herb, you will find that it will contain a lot of seeds, however nobody, including myselfe has ever managed to get a damiana plant this way.

buying a tunera diffusa plant seems the only option in getting damiana growing, tort might have a few plants and people in europe could get them from ruehlemans (spell?).

a long time ago i got partly germination of damiana seeds taken from those baggies, so it might be a good idea to keep trying this avenue, specialy as you seem to have a lot of professional nursery experience.

i never heard of anybody trading damiana seeds, or getting some of there own plants,

damiana is seen as natural treasure for mexico, and they try to avoid anybody establishing foreign plantations....

I do buy certifiedorganic damiana material sometimes, and have found barely half a dozen seeds... carefully wrapped n stored, I assure you! Was actually looking for a "practice run" seed before I tried germing those ones. Whats the deal with cultivation, do they wimp out at first real leaves mostly or do they just not sprout? This stuff is pungently fresh, gently air dried and perfectly picked if I'm any judge... perhaps a short viability... cheers for the heads up anyway PH.

I love the stuff.... I first tried it as a wee thing, sold to me by some hairy, goatskin shirted HHH stallboy as "just the gear to get stoned on". Not true. though in hindsight, smoking vast amounts of the stuff as an already... fairly active... teenage male produced some truly startling results :P

I find its good for (hippy bullshit warning) central axis issues, spinal connectivity and fatigue as well as general energy n lustferlife... esp taken in combination with a nicely balanced chamomile/lemonbalm/mint/green tea, tea... offsets the gaba fuzzies nicely. Also damiana, cocoa, mace and galangal.... *shivers in gleeful rememberence*

I have no plans on undercutting mexicans, if they want to come around n discuss it mano e mano (hombre?) I'll knock em up something fiendishly good involving cilantro and beer, then let them stitch shirts or mow lawns for 90 dollars a week.

Thought it worth a shot anyways... anyone with a rooted bit or something with a few nodes to spare, lettuce snow! If it's got meristem, you can grow it, even when you can't it just takes longer :D

Maybe I should backtrack thru the herb place that stocks the good gear, work out who is growing it localish, it's too fresh and lovely to be from anywhere more than a hundred k's away.... then I can take over mexico.

VM

Whats the deal with cultivation, do they wimp out at first real leaves mostly or do they just not sprout?

UTSE. long time ago, but lots of detail.

it's too fresh and lovely to be from anywhere more than a hundred k's away.

LOL.

I have nemorosa growing right now from seed sent by Auxin, sourced from Iran. As well as withania and calea.

All have just set flower. You know where to find me when you expect seed.

Edited by Sina

can help with:

henbane (Black)

Withania

S.official

PM me shortly Vert if ya still lookn, cheers

Cheers guys, very handy!

I did UTSE, but thanks for the pointer! Was wondering more about contemporary info, and maybe even a conversational element...I couldn't find a whole lot other than a few stop start threads that seem to be leftovers of actual conversations ppl have had in the flesh... though I did mange to work out that Leonitis resin is, to this day, "just like hash". LOLz all round.

My "local" herbal purveyors are hard on for macrobiotics , everything wherever possible is local and they don't mind telling you openly if it isn't, we are well set for microclimes around here. I have NEVER seen commerical common aussie damiana sacks that contain ANYTHING like this quality, but feel mor tha nfree to send me a free sample for comparison! Prices do tend to reflect accordingly, my CO damiana is usually 110 a kilo vs the "nice" import gear which is more the 55 a kilo mark... then there's the Christ Knows What stuff which is dusty, almost odourless, sold in wee premeasured bags, it's not the dregs of the last order of the nice either, it was shit when they grew it. Soulless. The worst I ever tried was the old HERB gear, in the "sorry bud, the newsagent didnt have quart bags, but i got these..." size bags... like 12 bucks 15 years ago, for about 50g and it was SHIT. Didn't find any carpet fibres or cat hair but it wouldn't have surprised me. It was probably on par with the ebay average, when I last bothered. Flaky bald dry shit.

Which is why I was interested to hear that most random vendor dami around is rank with seeds (though and "old thread" said that was almost unheard of here?), if kinda useless ones, the tastiest of mine has turned up less than half a dozen in maybe a whole kilo overall, lil (couple mil) bean shaped things, kinda shiny buff colour, quite hard coat for their size (not that I tried too hard to break one!) Someone producing locally would want to save all the seeds they could, versus bulk SA production where they'd leave the beans in as they'll be too old/irradiated/gassed/baked in shipping containers to worry about TOO many being much good.

They even stock wildcrafted ranges of quite a few surprises, which usually have all the same lil gribblies living in it as what I have grown chem free up the road. Their topline chamomile smells BETTER than my own chem free gently dried perfectly pick stuff, even a month after I buy it... delicious quality.

Not everyone is entirely out of luck, sharing in luck doesn't cut back your share any either :P If anyone here has one plant, someone else will have 10... the next, 20...well ok, 15, you gotta dip in with your teapot at some stage or what's the point...

thanks again guys, might be chewing a few ears off in the very near future!

VM

damiana plants did not arrive in this country until about 5 years ago. Working out propagation protocol took a year. Plants were stolen from the original importer about the same time and found their way to other commercial entities. So, even if everything fell into place immediately and without hiccups, the oldest plantation could be no more than 2 years old. if you've ever grown this plant then you'd know how unlikely this makes your proposition of a local harvest.

As for seeds from herb bags, the seed is indeed often viable, but does not germinate. The literature cites a 3% germination rate from fresh seed. Even the mexicans decided to propagate via tissue culture because they could not get enough seed to germinate. Damiana plants/seeds are a mexican national treasure - unauthorised export of which is punishable by long jail sentences. Not even substantial bribes helped to source seeds or plants even though that's how you get everything else in mexico. Chasing this plant was an interesting time....

damiana plants did not arrive in this country until about 5 years ago.

buh,possibly? Always nice to get a particular version of possible events.... any given individual can hunt up a bunch of wild seed on their SA adventure package tour and bring it back ahead of the Cosmically Approved Schedule though. I reckon it is probably possible to take an ethnobotanical dump somewhere in our own backyard without you knowing about it.

Working out propagation protocol took a year.

People can be a bit slow, can't be helped. Nothing in the info I can find as of now that wasn't available online in entries dated prior to that 5 year mark. No idea why prop or cult would differ from how it is done in its home grounds, unless you are trying to grow it in Tassie or something. Englishppl growing rivea in their basements, praying for flowers...

the oldest plantation could be no more than 2 years old.

assuming you are in possession of all the facts. I'd bet both balls someone, somewhere, got seed in before that date... 3 percent aint great, but you only need the right 3 in the hundred, hey. Stranger things have happened. We all got concieved, somehow, for starters :wub:

if you've ever grown this plant then you'd know how unlikely this makes your proposition of a local harvest.

I can only and have only ever reported what the vertometer tells me, and it hasn't failed yet. Scuse me if I don't place entire trust in ....well,some guy that isn't me. I reckon there is a reasonably high chance of some stray beans having made it back here n having an ok time of things, well before that magic 5 year number. However it happened, I can get it that fresh I can still smell SOIL (which, crazy me, smellls JUST like the local, deco and red worms and silt) when I open it up. Potency is easily three times the standard vendor (hype aside) shit, let alone the overcooked runny goo in lil bottles going around. That stuff is to damiana what international roast is to coffee, or bourneville to cocoa.

I have never grown it........ That's why I'd like some seeeds for it. Unlikely by your own understanding does not (I suspect fortunately) work out to impossible by everyone else's.

As for seeds from herb bags, the seed is indeed often viable, but does not germinate.

Oh. Ok. Sorry, you said viable, didn't you?

The literature cites a 3% germination rate from fresh seed. Even the mexicans decided to propagate via tissue culture because they could not get enough seed to germinate.

See, you coulda told me that in the first place, then the world would be a nicer place.

"the literature" unfortunately often seems to assume everyone is trying to prop this kinda stuff 20 years ago in a berkeley dorm.... "the literature" also says you can't germ pachs without almost scrotetearing levels of worry and fiddling, says that "rivea is hard to flower", says that "you need x mg of compound y to achieve state z", which is later found to be not entirely line with how it all really goes down in zee jungle... Which is nice, isnt it? Otherwise there'd be no scope for hope.

Damiana plants/seeds are a mexican national treasure - unauthorised export of which is punishable by long jail sentences.

National treasure of the apparently growing all over the joint wild and untended variety (going by "the literature, that is... this is al lgetting rather biblical in its convenience)... why can't I pinch some seeds and take em home? I am sure htey are every so slightly more geared towards keeping an eye on say big bags of cocaine or whatever. Maybe not. Maybe they hire a lil old lady with a big stick to stand guard over each and eveyr last wild plant whenever it seeds, and have done for the last 50 years, no Nanna has ever thought "my, how pretty, yoink". Nothing ever found its way here by THAT route,haha. Definitely not a fair few other sacred and guarded plants from the same region of the world.

Mexico would vex me more, cept it's listed as hanging out also in central america and the west indies... maybe another possible route there. Maybe it might use the same route that all the other scabby looking semi arid mexican plants that my area is carpeted in for dispersal, who knows. But I think plants got around ok a long gtime before export brokers did.

Mexico, jesus...you're telling me people that in some cases will sell their children would NIVVAH! sell a few beans for the right price? Nice priorities. Exporting parrots and snakes and fresh white kids in postpaks is kinda frowned upon here too, but you can bet your arse some cashed up OSer has a Koala Grow Cab up and running. You can't rule out tissue culture in the area I am thinking of either, I know it happens with other things, of far less practical value. Lot of smart ppl out there. Here. Wherever.

Not even substantial bribes helped to source seeds or plants even though that's how you get everything else in mexico.

Sorry, is this stuff growing wild anywhere there or has it been hunted out?

Sounds like an issue of technique or timing? Seems you can get all the illegal international drugs you want, shipping containers of eastern european girls, black market cigs and big boxes of guns... but a few useful seeds is just COMPLETELY unlikely? To make a hollow laughing...

Chasing this plant was an interesting time....

Still wondering how I ended up with half a dozen seeds of something that sounds as if I should get my balls lopped off just for thinking about it ... praise be to the gods of corruption and simple peasants, I reckon.

I'm going to try incredibly gentle scarification and smoke treatment... see how we go anyway. Seems the right thing to do given some poor wetback is being flogged as we speak for letting some beans thru in my package :D that are viable, but wont sprout :huh:

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Seems the right thing to do given some poor wetback is being flogged as we speak for letting some beans thru in my package :D that are viable, but wont sprout huh.gif

LMAO...heheheh I havent heard that in a while I wonder how many here know what the term WETBACK means..lol

H.

vert - sometimes you're funny.... sometimes just ignorant. I've got plenty more to share about this plant but couldn't be bothered with you. seems like you didn't grasp half the things I said anyway. and good luck trying to get a mexican drug dealer to collect some seeds for you :rolleyes: