The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tonic

Groovy basal pupping

Thought some of you guys might find this interesting. I have an Eileen that etiolated (bottle necked) and to get rid of the unsightly growth I gave her the chop, as you do :wink:

Anyway she put out the normal pup from the upper areole, then about a month later I noticed that she was starting to pup from the base. This strikes me as pretty unusual, and it's not something that happens too much AFAIK. Thought you might get a kick out of it anyway. Love to hear if people have seen this type of secondary basal pupping from chopped Trichos or just peoples thoughts generally.

eileenbasalpup.jpg

Eileen. Is there anything she can't do?

Phos

Edited by Phos D

Dont see much unusual about basal pups especially if the tip has been lopped off.

This plant hasnt had its head chopped off and has a total of 7 base pups and 3 up near the tip, it was a 30cm tip cut put in the ground autumn 2007.

post-1464-1227226021_thumb.jpg

Psycho0 power :P

can get better pics later if anyone wants a closer look, must remember the tape measure also hehe.

Have other plants in pots that have also pupped from the base if anyone would like to see pics of them also? i thought it was quiet common?

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

Edited by PD.

This happened after I chopped it though PD. I thought that was uncommon?

I have plenty that pupped without being chopped first.

Well I thought it was pretty cool anyway, never seen it do that before, only on unchopped ones.

Of course we are keen to see closer pics of Psycho0!!!

This happened after I chopped it though PD. I thought that was uncommon?

Hmmmmm, i thought it was the other way around, ie, if you chop it will throw a heap more pups from all different places? Ill go get a pic of a yowie tip i chopped just recently, it has pups shooting from top and base also.

Basal pups sure do make the plant look a hell of alot better tho imo. :)

Hehe, love the boob on the top pup of ya eileen tho :D

Pretty much all my midcuts (in the ground) pup from the base. That's 25+ plants. Typical pattern has been pups from top first season, these pups grow slow and small, followed by larger and fatser growing basal pups in the following season. Sometimes they just go from the base and the top together in the first season. I thought it was strange at first, but it happens without fail, and IMO makes for a better plant.

Edit: nice cages. I have had problems with run-away cacti too :P

Edited by Micromegas

Yowie.

2 at the tip and 2 at the base.

post-1464-1227227680_thumb.jpg

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

I swear I read that they didn't usually pup from the base after beheading. Must have been something else. I have been known to be wrong though :P

Hope my Yowie pups from the base and my Psycho0s and all my Trichos really. That would be funkin' fabulisicous!

Yeah PD that particular Eileen seems to want to go montrose, or atleast semi. The chopped tip had some pretty funky rib dropping/rib gaining action going on. Hopefully see some more boob action from her.

Haha Micro, it's not that they want to escape, it's that the bloody possums around here have a taste for my Trichos and if I don't cage the less spiny ones they get heavily munched, which I don't want happening.

P.S: the fat caged column to right may look a little familiar PD? It's a particularly fat SP from PDland.

Edited by Phos D

Of course we are keen to see closer pics of Psycho0!!!

OK then :)

I noticed today that ANOTHER pup has started to emerge at the base making it a total of 8 basal pups! Height of the plant was approx 120cms.

post-1464-1227256318_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1227256370_thumb.jpg

Tip pupping, 3 in total.

post-1464-1227256427_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1227256463_thumb.jpg

In all its glory :)

post-1464-1227256530_thumb.jpg

....and a bit more freaky action, pups throwing pups.

post-1464-1227256632_thumb.jpgpost-1464-1227256675_thumb.jpg

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0416.JPG

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

8 pups that crazy! :drool2: Awesome pics PD. Cant believe that pup already puping at such a young age. What do you feed those babies? :huh:

Nice eileen Phos :drool2: . The pup at the top looks like my TBM monstrose pup except mine has very big spikes.

Never seen arms forming on a stem with an intact apex,you must be doing something wrong!

Usually high phosphorus ferts will bring out multiple basal pups in potted plants,not sure about plants in the ground though.

Beautiful pics!

I've got examples of both basal pupping with the top cut and with it left intact. I must admit I have given them a small taste of miricle grow a while ago. Now they only get seaweed extract and fish emusion.

I've also got my Eileen grafted onto scop in the pic. She's growing well.

post-3173-1227311450_thumb.jpg

My Trichs have been getting rained on every day for the last week and are loving it. I got them ready for the rain by watering them every day. The monsoon might be a different story though. I have a feeling that the cold and wet is more of a problem then hot and wet when it comes to cactus melting where they stand.