The Corroboree
kadakuda

What do you make of these little Lophies?

I got these cute little guys, and am not sure their background. they were grown by the collector as fricii, and thats what i bought them as, but when i saw them they look so different. and their flowers are truly strange.

out of every single loph flower i have ever seen, these are 1/4 the size of the smallest. they are also white at base and a hot pink at the top.....the flowers almost remind me a bit of some Mammilaria sp....but i am not sure. they are self sterile.

for scale, it is a harrisia beside it....4 ribbed each size only 2-3cm....the loph is about 4 cm diameter, little less.

loph---1.jpg

loph---3.jpg

loph---2.jpg

loph---4.jpg

and just sharing this. this is a "lophophora hybrid" from japan. got it a couple years ago, but no one can tell me what the hybrid was with.....so it is doomed to being a "MISC Lophophora" :(

anyway, its growth is really weird and bumpy...bad picture, may take a new one later.

lophy1.jpg

Do you think it's possibly Lophophora jourdaniana?

It could just be something strange that sprung up from seed...

i have pretty little experience with jourdaniana so far, but from what i have seen the flowers are much larger than these....

with these plants its the actual size of the flower that strikes me as they are smaller than a dime in diameter. could just be a freak.....but seems freakier than i would expect from a freak of normal parents. the body shape is also quite weird, but its grafted so i wont hold that against them. right now i only have a few of these, but i may go back and get some more (once the wife approves my spending spree :wub:)

i'll try and get some more useful pics up tonight, these are pretty lame.

Lol,many named cultivars bear striking dissimilarities to others boasting the same name.

I suspect a bit of viral assisted chimeral action is going on.

Doesn't look like my Decipiens either.

It could be some type of hybrid, I've never seen a Lophophora flower like that before...

My bet is still that it's just some funky clone that arose from seed.

I suspect a bit of viral assisted chimeral action is going on.

I really don't think that, but I do think that it being grafted has probably effected the way it looks.

Now that I think of it...

They do look alittle like Turbinicarpus flowers...

What'd ya think???

Edited by Teotz'

yes, its the flowers that throw me off. they look so different from any loph flower i have seen.

Take it in for gene sequencing?

Thats my next step, right after im done here lol! :bootyshake:

I thought so,free use of the faculties students to perform routine testing of plant materials is not often encountered.

peyote may be legal, but mescaline ain't....i'm not looking to get thrown into an asian jail :unsure:

but i read ya...i know its impossible to tell....but i often wonder, sometimes out loud.

Still waiting for data from the 2008 field collection of US conservators.

It's taking too long.

I got these cute little guys, and am not sure their background. they were grown by the collector as fricii, and thats what i bought them as, but when i saw them they look so different. and their flowers are truly strange.

out of every single loph flower i have ever seen, these are 1/4 the size of the smallest. they are also white at base and a hot pink at the top.....the flowers almost remind me a bit of some Mammilaria sp....but i am not sure. they are self sterile.

for scale, it is a harrisia beside it....4 ribbed each size only 2-3cm....the loph is about 4 cm diameter, little less.

loph---1.jpg

loph---3.jpg

loph---2.jpg

loph---4.jpg

and just sharing this. this is a "lophophora hybrid" from japan. got it a couple years ago, but no one can tell me what the hybrid was with.....so it is doomed to being a "MISC Lophophora" :(

anyway, its growth is really weird and bumpy...bad picture, may take a new one later.

lophy1.jpg

Possibly a matucana loph hybrid?

It took me about 4 hours searching on the internet to

indentify my matucana

and I still havent

seen a picture of one that looks like the the one I have

It has a superficial resemblance to the last loph

Matucana madisoniorum?

That's the only one I know that has a superficial physical resemblance to Lophophora, particularly the spineless- or nearly so phenotypes thereof.

Apparently it is used in religious ceremonies in parts of Peru.

All of the matucana madisoniorum pictures i have looked at

seem really different

so i couldn't even tell you if this is the same species

but from this photo you can see why i think its a

candidate for the loph hybrid

post-6798-1259842966_thumb.jpg

This one must be at least 10 years old

picked up for $10 and needs a bit of TLC

isn't actually mine by the way -sob-

Edited by weedRampage

they arent closely enough related to hybridize surely, turbinicarpus would be more likely if at all..

Maybe some do not know grafted plants are not favoured by serious collectors as they are always distortions of natural form?

Maybe some do not know grafted plants are not favoured by serious collectors as they are always distortions of natural form?

Certainly, although cultivation alone often produces specimens which are distortions of natural form of the species.

Maybe Kadakuda's lophs featured are hybrids with Turbinicarpus?

Matacuna have pretty big flowers that look nothing like a lophophora.

maybe its jsut as senseless, but whenever i am trying new crosses i try to match reproductive and flower similarities more than stem similarities. the ones above i am thinking fricii. their seeds under teh scope are the same, they breed easily with other fricii, and they are looking more and more fricii like....jsut a little diferent.

the last one has grown a cm in 2 years, and no flower yet....the grower that gave me it lost all his in the last typhoon :(....and he doesnt remember any names.