The Corroboree
gromit

Teen 'died after inhaling party butane'

Partygoers attempted to revive Perth teenager Dayle Koch by slapping her across the face before taking her to hospital 22 minutes after collapsing after inhaling butane gas, a coroner has been told.

According to a report on news website PerthNow, the Perth Coroner's Court yesterday heard Dayle's eyes rolled back in her head immediately after inhaling the gas in a friend's car in Kelmscott park on May 13, 2006. But instead of calling an ambulance or taking her to hospital, the 16-year-old was taken back to a nearby party.

People at the party slapped Dayle, pumped her chest and threw cold water at her in an attempt to revive her before putting her in a bath. She was then taken to Armadale Hospital at 11.40pm, 22 minutes after falling unconscious. Dayle was pronounced dead 20 minutes later. Alcohol and cannabis were also found in her system.

Several witnesses are set to testify they saw Dayle inhale butane at the house before her fatal trip to the park with several friends. The court also heard Dayle bought two cans of butane, chocolates and cigarettes with her debit card at a Kelmscott BP outlet before the party. Police later found four cans of butane, including one half-full, at the party house.

Dayle's family claim the aspiring make-up artist was too responsible to voluntarily take butane and was being bullied into taking the gas.

Butane gas, commonly sold for cooking and camping, is known to create a mood-altering emotional high when inhaled.

Link

Questions over teen's overdose - News.com.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:slap:

Dayle's family claim the aspiring make-up artist was too responsible to voluntarily take butane and was being bullied into taking the gas.

HAH, must be nice to be so naive. It amazes me that in most high profile substance deaths the parents don't want to believe their child could be a drug user, or that hteir use could've been what killed them.

Terrible situation yes, but its stupidity as well, another example of where education is needed. I'm also constantly irritated that they don't teach basic first aid in schools. First aid certificates should be made a mandatory part of the course in year 10, it takes a day and a half for fucks sake, and if you spread that out at like, 2 hours a week over a term, you'd be flying.

2 breaths to 30 pumps, and only after pulse and respiration have stopped...pretty simple really.

At least they were REASONABLY quick to realise that she needed medical care though, but certainly not quick enough if no pulse was present and no CPR was administered.

Peace

Thats sad to hear.

Sucking butane and other inhalants like deodorant used to be very popular when I was growing up (Melb Eastern Suburbs in the early-mid 90's), I only ever heard of one person dying but that was because the guy fell/tripped over and hit his head on a rock (or something)

RIP Joey.

All in all though, considering how toxic the stuff is and how many people were using the it (literally 50-60 or more that I personally knew of just at my school and plenty more outside of it) there seemed to be very little in the way of death or serious injury.

Dint get me wrong though, after a few months or using between 1-3 cans a day, I reached the point where I was having trouble with my sense of balance, was dribbling a lot and had significant reduction in my cognition.

Thankfully most of this went back to normal with in a few weeks

If only we all knew of bulbs back then, I was kicking myself when I found out about them about a year later. LOL,.

are these things mostly part of being a teenager,growing into an adult......rites of passage in a society without formal initiations?

maybe inevitable to some extent but capable of being minimalised?

what if the parents knew she was using butane?what should/could they do?

ann bressingt8n.......

t s t .

[edit] Deleted for insensitivity. :)

Edited by JDanger

I remember in high school how all the really cool kids would huff deodorant and a few would bring butane cans in.

For them it was the best way to show how big they were....

Then one of my sisters friends was found dead on the corner of the main street and the highway with an empty can next to him.

It pretty much all stopped after that day.

Natural selection.

I said the exact same thing last night when my girlfriend told me about that hahaha... but felt a little bit slack afterwards.

No offence but those are some pretty ignorant comments....

It had more to do with naivety, social acceptance, wanting to get high, lack of funds, lack of other drugs. etc.

Were generally talking about the 10-14yr old age group.

Some of us are very lucky that our stupid teenage choices came with enough stupid teenage luck that we could sit around on our arses as balanced adults and take the piss out of some poor kid left to die like a maggot by her fuckwit mates.

Maybe she read all those cool drug reports written by hep sounding 20 somethings, and wanted in.

One day, your kids will make similar decisions. I hope it works out better for them, than it did for this girl and her family and her stupid lil mates who in 10 years time will be the sober and deeply fucked up mature adults the rest of us can take so much sadistic pride in being.

I'd prefer a planet of the unthinking, than a planet of the unfeeling, anyday.

FTR, solvent abuse in young females is very very hazardous for the same reason "hysterical" ventilation is. Their bodies take the wrong measure of dissolved gases, and operate accordingly. Scary spiral phenomena. The body ends up killing itself, trying to keep itself alive. same can of course happen with older ppl, males, etc, but young females are more susceptible to it for a few reasons (most of which are currently being drummed into the heads of various paramedics).

now, isnt that funny ? some tiny barely complete lil body flogging itself to death to keep itself alive? Suddenly looking a whole lot smaller and a whole lot less savvy than the street clothes n lippy conveyed in happier times. Pale to translucense as she maybe lost control of herself all over the new clothes she was keen to show off, to feel a lil more grown up?

I wonder if she heard or felt her "mates" dump her like a bag of shit on someone's brown couch, or laundry floor? Reckon anyone copped a feel? Eh? Couple moby camera shots for myspace? Ha. Ha. Fuckin. Ha. The only real person, is me.

So don't you dare crack jokes about any tragedy that applies to me, or mine, or it won't be so funny anymore, hey? Serious then, its ME Almighty. But we can laugh about those other cunts all day long. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Lets just hope someone puts pictures of her pathetic dead lil self on one of those cool websites for hard bastards ie sick average fucks keen to feel something, anything, I guess.that'd be COOL. we can look at em with mates and make cold remarks in jest like "well, shes chilled out NOW". Ha. Ha. Ha. We're just so.... net! So.... CSI. So.... cool.

Who knows, if her scumbag coward mates had have grown up in a culture where the utmost importance was placed on the holding safe of EVERY life, rather than thinking we pretty clever to cover our feelings and souls (presuming we actually have one, that is) with silly boy remarks (it impresses some mates, most partners would prefer you had a soul I find), maybe they would have taken the situation more seriously.

I hope you never have to hear that all that was done to keep your sister,daughter, niece, the girl up the road alive in the wake of a common and generally benign decision, was being hit in the face and chucked in a bath. Or ends up entangled wormfood in a web of their own "choosing" in any way, for that matter. If they do, I hope noone shits on their memory, or the nature of their passing.

I find letting yourself be affected by what you encounter instead of reducing it all to some po-mo pisstake to be pretty helpful in the quest to be a Grown Up, though that is a decent refuge for the emotionally frozen teenage boy living inside some of us.

Sickening. Animals don't think things like that.

VM

edity..."HAH, must be nice to be so naive. It amazes me that in most high profile substance deaths the parents don't want to believe their child could be a drug user, or that hteir use could've been what killed them."

yeah, it must be nice, real nice. Most envied cunts in the country, I'd wager. Has it occured to you that maybe its a less than rational but somehow comforting reaction to an almost incomprehensible situation? Bloody ppl eh, cant do anything right. What should they have said "actually yeah, she was going a bit batshit of late, kinda slutted around a lil too, few things going missing around the house, yeah now you mention it she had no redeeming features at all and we're happy as larks that she's dead from her stupid druggy behaviour".

give us a beep next time a loved one drops dead ME,or hard on the heels of your life's next major upset anyways.... I'll stick a mic in your features very very shortly after the event, and whatever hairbrained traumatised shite falls from your lips, I'll use to label you as "naive". Rather than, yknow, human, upset, feeling like the worst person on earth, looking to blame something and angry as hell that noone ever made national news about the no doubt countless tiny acts of niceness and normality she did in her short span,the ways she bettered others, and herself, but dropped like fucking ravens the minute she made a mistake. They can BELIEVE she was a user, they don't want CUNTS THAT DONT KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT HER deciding that was her, a one dimensional paper doll with "fuckup druggy kid" written on it.

Peace, man.

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Yeh you're right VM, insensitive comment on my part. It makes sense that they want to remember her for the good and not the one stupid mistake she made, that probably led to her death with the assistance of ignorant friends.

BUT what I will say is that them claiming she was being bullied into it puts other kids in a bad light. Her friends obviously made poor choices but they don't need to have ALL the blame put on them.

Peace

Whoa thats one angry post there VM... sorry if what I said was part of the trigger.

I don't usually feel like I need to justify my words or my actions to anybody - and especially not to some dude online I've never met and might never meet... However in this instance I will anyway just so you don't think I was a completely heartless fuck.

Either way I wasn't being particularly serious when I mentioned that I responded with "natural selection" tp my girlfriend telling me about this article she read - but I was serious when I mentioned I felt pretty slack about it afterwards. I'm aware that a life is still a life no matter what the circumstances.

I was unfortunate enough myself to know somebody that I went to primary school with being found dead at 13.. blue in his room with a used fit next to him after choking on his own vomit.

With a junkie prostitute for a mother (who was in and out of jail), and a father he didn't really know who was in jail - and being looked after by his older brother who was molesting his younger sister... Some people never really get a chance in life.

And you know what??? I'll honestly say that hearing about that shit (even if I didn't know the person) makes me more sad than hearing about a 16 year old dying who really by that age should know better than to be huffing hydrocarbons. But that just might be me - luckily enough I spose even at the age of thirteen when I started punching bongs, knocking back booze and drinking cough syrup I still had enough common sense not to be huffing that shit. And I aware that other people don't have the same type of common sense at the age of 20 that I displayed at 13.

Either way thats irrelevant - because as I said a life is still a life no matter what the circumstances and I will say that I do feel that it is pretty fucked up what happened to her, especially regarding her deadshit friends not seeking medical attention.

Once again sorry if I was one of the triggers to your outburst - I shouldn't have displayed such insensitivity about the situation.

How many of us are only here and not in the ground because we were lucky? We might be clever now, but I know that I could have ended up like this girl quite easily when I was an idiot teenager, and I bet it's not just me.

I know Indigo has explained their position, so this isn't aimed at them, but surviving in spite of your reckless teenage substance use gives you less of a right to be snide and smug, not more. It's a tragedy that could have so easily been prevented in any number of ways.

How many of us are only here and not in the ground because we were lucky? We might be clever now, but I know that I could have ended up like this girl quite easily when I was an idiot teenager, and I bet it's not just me.

Yep, in fact I'd say a lot of us STILL do stupid shit sometimes, and it's often to do with alcohol. I shudder when I think of all the shit that could've happened to me when I was younger...but didn't. I was probably not even ten yet when I started chroming. I used to love the smell of solvents and stuff, and one time I must've realised that if I smelt them for long enough I started to have strange experiences, that involved some god-like entity. I did it occassionally for a couple of years. I wouldn't say it was escapism, otherwise I probably would have done it more often. It was just an interesting place that I liked to visit some times. I really didn't understand how dangerous or damaging it was, and I'm pretty happy to have come out of it okay. I got back into it a little bit when I was about 12 or 13, when some of my friends were doing it, but they were doing it more for giggles than any sort of exploration, so it seemed kind of pointless doing it with them because there was nothing to discuss with them after I'd come out of it. Besides, when one of my 'friends' set me on fire when my mind was in another universe, but my body had its head over a tank of butane, it kinda put me off. I soon discovered LSD, and realised that there were other ways of experiencing different modes of consciousness.

One time when I was about 14 or 15, I drank a bottle of vodka during and after school, and I remember going to the train station. Next thing I know, I wake up in hospital with blood all over me. Someone later told me I smashed my face on a bench when I tried to sit down. I'm probably lucky I didn't get myself hit by a train or anything. I'm sure I could think of many more ways in which I've put myself in danger, but it's getting a little depressing.

I hate it when people try to make an insult sound like an apology.

"common sense," LOL

I hate it when people try to make an insult sound like an apology.

"common sense," LOL

If thats directed at me (which I'm pretty sure it is, and if not please ignore this whole post :D) then you've got me and what I said all wrong.

Any elaborations that I gave were purely an attempt at expressing an admit of insensitivity and feeling empathy towards the situation (which I do legitimately have), whilst also explaining that I have some other feelings towards the matter based on thoughts regarding when engaging in reckless activities there are consequences - and the more dangerous the activity, the more severe the consequence.

I can say that the majority of teenagers (especially by the age of 16) know that huffing solvents, gasses and chroming of all kinds is dangerous and can kill you, but that doesn't stop people doing it. The ability to rationalise that an immediate danger is involved and then make a sensible decision on whether one should engage in such activities is what I would regard as "common sense". Jumping off bridges into lakes at low tide is what I regard as a lack of "common sense". Riding a motorbike without a helmet is a lack of "common sense".... do you see where I'm getting at now hehe???

My empathy towards the situation is based on her death probably could have been prevented if her friends had some "common sense" and that saddens me - but also angers me at the same time...

When mate starts going blue on you and isn't responsive you call the emergency number straight away. A friend of mine had to do that last week when when a mate of his who was in his house did up a Fentanyl patch, banged it, and started going blue - so he called the emergency number immediately but luckily he came too whilst he was on the phone talking to them. My point his that he didn't fuck around whilst somebody's life was potentially at stake and that is displaying the "common sense" that I was talking about.

I don't apologise unless I mean it. I don't see the point - and just because I'm abrubt and straight forward at times doesn't mean that I'm insulting somebody. Just like I'm not insulting you at all in the slightest right now.

I will however apologise to you for over using the "common sense" in inverted commas in order to drill in my point :P...

Still don't believe my sincerity??? Well I don't give a shit. B).

P.S. I know I can seem a bit elitest at times but ultimately all I want is the best for everybody and everybody to be the best they can be.

I've had some of the best visions in my life due to butane inhalation. Fortunately that era is long past for me. This doesn't mean I'm insensitive. Many people die from butane, but more people every year on earth die from alcohol-related instances...not to mention tobacco. Consider, some scholars believe that the delphic oracle was inspired by naturally occurring butanic gases arising from the ground.

Consider, in any ire that you may manufacture, that butane-death is a sensationalistic (albeit unintentional) way to die and will produce sensationalistic displays of public emotion. Don't hold it against butane. If you're really concerned about factors in modern society contributing to teenage death then your ire is most efficiently directed to the prohibition of young people from cars and alcohol.

Just remembered that episode of the Simpsons where there's a gas leak in front of Maude's memorial thingy and everyone has "religious" experiences when they kneel down to pay respects to her :lol:

Yay for waking up in a pool of urine and spittle. I'd like to say a pool of blood but there really wasn't that much blood when I passed out hitting the bridge of my nose of the concrete ledge. I'd strongly assume that I stopped breath but spontaneously started breathing again. But hell yeah it can be tripper at times I felt like I was in a 2d universe.

No worries indigo, wasn't directed entirely at you but I can see how you took it to heart. Accepted n returned :)

Just ended up reading those remarks at the end of a months run of completely unrelenting bullshit relating to people devaluing life... others, their own, the worth of their own to other people's, etc.

More back to task, I suspect (no proof at all, but just thinking about it) that there'd be more butane huffers amongst "grown ups" than we'd immediately suspect. it is listed in the Big Orange Lab Safety Book as "a non toxic anaesthetic gas", cheap, reliable, easy to get and whilst it's certainly bad news, it is amazing how far it will warp the mind out of shape and back again given the relative lack of side or aftereffects for most users I've had anything to do with (note: thats entirely anecdotal nonsense, of course its bad for you, but we know what I mean). Esp when compared to abuse of other common solvents. Not any safer, just less frequently dangerous, I guess.

I can remember a spectacular incident or two involving nodding sniffers lighting up cigs or cones whilst sitting in the middle of a cold pool of gas... bye bye mr pantera shirt, mr n mrs eyebrows, and lil miss sense of smell.

Sad stuff, even at its brightest it casts a pretty long shadow.

VM

I did it quite a bit 15-20 years ago, i think it is different for everyone but religious would be a good description for some of my experiences,

and my first meetings with 'them'.. with acid complete mayhem!!!

But yeah really painful story, and horrible way for a young girl to go out.

No more for me after the time I spent what seemed like weeks standing in superreduced form on my own finger, watching my OTHER fingers melt and ripple and then crash like megatonne tsunamis over my head again and again to the harmony of n'nnn'nnn'ggy'yyn'nng'ggn'nny'ynn'nny'ynn'nhh'nnn'ggg'yyn'nnn until I was clinging to my own bare white fingerbones in an attempt to not get sucked down into the whirlpool of flesh tones and blood that used to be the hand I was standing on.

Bad Idea.

VM