The Corroboree
mutant

Tricho & Lopho on Pere

edit: photos lost sorry

here they are, my progress, so far

th_DSCN3356.jpgth_DSCN3483-1.jpg

th_DSCN3674.jpgth_DSCN3675.jpg

well, I will let you know how it goes...

as I am a total newb to grafting, any suggestions or comments are of course welcome :)

I do have a single success so far story with this clumpsy made graft [only a thin slice, I wasted some material ]

lopho on myrtillo

Edited by mutant

looks great mutant. Hope the red dot is nothing. Small things can be fatal to small grafts.

I would suggest that on your next grafting project get at least 8 peres stock going that are around 15- 20 cm high.

This will increase your chances of success and the extra length in the stock will provide for the graft for a longer period of time before requiring regrafting.

You must also ensure that the stock has a strong root system so if you cut a pere around the size you want the root system should be well formed when the growth above grown matches what you put below ground. So with a 15 cm cutting - 5cm below ground 5cm existing growth and 5cm new growth.

You don't have to follow this advice to the letter just consider that your stock must be strong enough to support your graft prior to grafting.

I have some early grafts where I didn't know the importance of this and I now routinely grow side branches on the peres stock to revitalise the root system through stimulation from the vigorous peres growth (they are arios and I'm to scared to regraft). When the side branch gets to big you can then cut it off and strike another cutting and the extra roots grown to support the branch now support your graft. At least I think (hope) so.

Good luck with you grafting projects.

Hey look good and should be sucessful. Altho I feel it is much easier (especially with pereskiopsis) if the scion diameter is equal or smaller than the stock. I have achieved better results this way.

yeah, thanks for the tip... I had noticed this in almost everyones graft, but I figured out it's no use to do now...

but you now what they say, huh? some thing have to be learned the hard way, by faliure or trouble, not prevention ;)

I had noticed this in almost everyones graft, but I figured out it's no use to do now...

Nah never too late. In fact it is highly recommended to do it now before you end up with a huge clump of buttons slowly pushing themselves away from the stock because they have no room to grow around it. Just grab a little razor or a very sharp knife and carefully take a small 45 degree slice off each rib to rib section. No need to go overkill, just enough to leave a flat seat for the scion and a bit of room right around it so that when the pups start fattening right up they will have plenty of room around the stock :)

Edited by Ace

Thanks, I also did a graft like this last on, which definately could use this, since it hasn't puped yet, but has many side areoles. But I think the crowdy situation is coming on top of this graft [it was a thin slice, my 1st graft actually] - BUT it could get ugly if this areoles near the union point pup... So would it be a bad idead the cuts should be done according to pupping, in the future ? [and not to throw away valuble skin of the stock]

Visble progress on my first pere grafts :)

dscn3674ve8.th.jpg

And here, partly explaining why the scion halted a bit, a myrti pup coming out. I will bevel the edges tomorow for sure now

dscn3675ew1.th.jpg

PROBLEM!!!!

I beveled the edges of my 2 myrti-lopho grafts, but I left in the open and a rain occured.. guess what??? fungi spots , black and red~brown

what should I do??? general fungicide??? put to dry climate [in the house]? heat with an airdryier [for hair] ????!??! :)

the beveling was done so shitty, I am almost ashamed to put photos :blush:

i hear isopropyl alcohol's good or metho, paint it on. it should evaporate so will do no harm to growth..

H202 or hydrogen peroxide is also good against bacteria and fungi both. You can watch it sizzle as it does its work.

They healed, and look good now, albeit a bit uglier :)

th_DSCN3849.jpg

Edited by mutant

Beautiful work Mutant. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Thanks man

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Here's where language propably fails a bit... It's an expression?? Don't understand, even though I imagine what it means

Yes mutant, its an expression which means: If its not truly important don't worry about it. You've done a good job and thats all that needs to be said about your works of art. We all learn by trial and error and get better with time. I still have grafts that fail and I consider myself damn good at grafting having grafted tree seedlings to mature tree stocks, variegated cacti to non-variegated cacti, etc. Do I think I don't have anything to learn? I'd be a numbskull if I thought I couldn't learn more from you guys. There is still lots of grafts I haven't tried and many that I will continue to try until I get them right. I've only been grafting a bit over 10 years now and each stock poses new things to learn from as well as each scion. I don't believe in pushing grafted scions as much as you can push them with each and every type of stock as I've discovered that some scions need more time to develop properly and this can result in sickly plants. Yeah, don't get me started as I lose track quickly of where I was going with things. The bottom line is that this expression is similar to the expression of: Don't cry over spilt milk. What's done is done. When your given sour grapes make wine.... or some such nonsense.

oh I see :) thanks ... hey, don't flatter me so much, or else I won't be becoming any better :P:lol:

Grafting is an addiction. Once you start you can't help but to continue doing so and learning from each set of attempts as you go along. In short, you can't help getting better if you love what your doing and you wouldn't be here posting if you didn't love it. I'm sorry, there is no hope for you. You'll have to deal with continually learning and getting better at what you do. Hopefully, you won't have to relearn too much along the way.