The Corroboree
husk

Flipping Out!

Hot Docs

Flipping Out

10.05pm – 11.40pm SBS

Tuesday 16 September 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military service is compulsory in Israel for all Jewish men and women. After three years of service, they are granted a discharge bonus, which many of them use to fly to India. Filmed over two years, Flipping Out follows a group of Israeli travellers, most of them under the age of 25. Drawing on his own experiences after completing compulsory military service, director Yoav Shamir attempts to uncover how this group feels about their service, what they hope to experience while they are in India, and what their attitude to drugs is. The documentary claims that 30,000 such young Israelis released from military service will travel to India every year and, the film says, many will take drugs, leading to some needing psychiatric care for what has become known, even in Hebrew, as "flipping out".

Genre: Documentary

Language: Hebrew, English

Rating: MA

Other: Closed Captions

Subtitles

Duration: 95 mins

When I was researching travelling in India I came across a very large backlash from the locals against the Israelis travelling in India, especially in Himachal Pradesh (stoner paradise), and Goa (party paradise), as well as a few of the other more frequented spots.

Made me think twice about the romanticised ideal of travelling there. It probably doesn't occur to most that the populace doesn't really appreciate or want the kind of behaviour that comes with being let out of conscripted military service. I think they put up with it mostly because they need the money.

I think they put up with it mostly because they need the money.

the trouble is getting the money. i have never seen people haggle so much for everything.

it drives the locals mad.

you see just as many cafes & guest houses with signs saying "No Israelis" as you see ones with hebrew menus or "welcome" signs.

As anyone who watched that doco should have realised, a large part ov the problem is they behave as if they are still in the army.

Moving around in large groups & many w/a "them & us" attitude to everyone else.

Most have come purely for the cheap hedonistic lifestyle & have little or no interest in the culture ov the country.

Rather good doco..didnt quite go in the direction I anticipated but thought provoking none the less...

They are certainly an interesting race to encounter whilst travelling.

I met a whole bunch in Nepal a few years ago and they made the life of the locals hell and similar sentiments as already expressed.

It amazed me that they would want to "screw" the Nepalise royally and often I witnessed arguements over prices that got quite heated due to the egos involved.

These economies are based on negotiating a price but what I saw spat in the face of there already depressed economy. I can appreciate budget conscious travelling but these are third world economies who often rely on tourism for their living.

I think Modi would have been in serious trouble with the workers he employed if the Chabad didnt pay them. It didnt seem as if they were prepared to leave.

A whole nation of people with god complexes??

There are plenty of western casualities in third world countries, you look into their eyes and they have been absorbed by the chaos of what surrounds them.

It was sobering to see a government involved to such an extent to help its people, it is of course a dual edged sword, as they helped to create the problem.

trhe memorys of3 yrs service in the israeli army + the iclusion of bulk psychadelics im sure would make anyone flip out. i found it funny though apparent 'hippy' israelis regarding the natives as 'retarded children' a bit disturbing.

great doco.

i saw the end of that doco.

the main reason i'm posting, is to say that i love indians, and india, and indians. i've never been annoyed by an indian. they seem like the coolest people. absolute diggers. i know there are plenty of false gurus there, and probably asshole rich indians, but in general, i'm very impressed by their culture. they're just awesome, and i welcome any information that will change my view because frankly i'm gonna turn into an indian one day but it must be such a shitting aweful place to live.

the trouble is getting the money. i have never seen people haggle so much for everything.

you see just as many cafes & guest houses with signs saying "No Israelis" as you see ones with hebrew menus or "welcome" signs.

wow is the stereotype of tight jews really that accurate?

Really good doco imo. It boggles the mind that a person potentially suffering from PTSD would take any kind of mind altering drug.

At one point a guy (i forget his name, but it was his job to round up any iraeli suffering a breakdown) said that a lot of young people go to india for different purposes than taking drugs, but the culture of places like those in the doco dictate that they must.

And it is sad that a lot of the locals have to put up with all the shit that comes with living in/near such places. I think maybe because indians are such a quiet, reserved people, most tourists just think they can walk all over them because most wont object to what they're doing.

But yeah good doco, and really quite sad for those that get fucked up even worse after all the drugs and shit.

cheers

I really haven't been so can't comment from my own perspective, only what I have read and researched.

Go to indiamike.com forums and type in in the search Israeli, you will see what I mean.

Most of the Israelis I meet these days are at doofs and generally nice, if a bit aloof, maybe the language barrier.

I personally have nothing against Jewish people, love me some knishes and we should all thank the Polish Jews for inventing bagels :P

Edited by Sina

"wow is the stereotype of tight jews really that accurate?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"love me some knishes and we should all thank the Polish Jews for inventing bagels"

Toasted challa aint so bad either!

Edited by baphomet

wow is the stereotype of tight jews really that accurate?

As Tripitaka pointed out, bartering is not an uncommon practice in India/Nepal, but certain things are not up for discussion like the meter in a taxi or a product w/the price printed on it by the government.

For some Israelis it seems to be a point ov honour to not pay full price for anything, even when all they're saving is a few cents.

I've seen a government official take a lower price for an official permit just to get a group ov Israelis out ov his office.

I personally have nothing against Jewish people

me neither, nor against Israelis. Individually they are very nice people, but their group mentality can be a problem.

Most of the Israelis I meet these days are at doofs and generally nice, if a bit aloof, maybe the language barrier.

Generally nice, sure but im not so sure about the language barrier. I have been to Israel twice and spent about 12 weeks in total just hanging out and absorbing the culture (a few years ago now, on a world tour). Certainly an interesting place to visit. I met a mixed up girl who I fancied immensely and was surprised when I realised that she had a better command of the English language than the majority of my friends in Australia :wub:.

Aloof yes, language barrier..unlikely, they are very well educated as far as I could tell. And far out do they like to argue.

I was on a coach from Jerusalem to Eilat and half way through the journey a couple of female tourists got on, the coach driver didn't think they had paid the correct fair (they already had tickets) and had a small argument with them before they took their seats. About an hour later the bus driver stops the bus to argue some more with the girls telling them they didn't pay the correct fare, this lasts about 5 minutes before we get under way again. Another hour later the bus stops again and the driver arcs up at the girls over what couldn't have been over $2 of underpaid fare. The third time the bus stops an army guy intervenes to talk to the girls to prevent the driver from making another scene. It turned out they had paid the correct fair and the driver shut up and finished driving us to Eilat.

I was almost bowled over by a 70 yr old woman while she was trying to push in line in front of me while I was waiting to buy a bus ticket :blink:

Obviously its a completely different culture in Israel which seems to work fine in Israel (as long as you are an Israeli) but doesn't seem to export well.

I loved my time there it was great fun, but this was all before the civil unrest with Palestine which started up again in 2001.

this is a interesting subject!!!

although i have never run into israeli's in india, i did meet a gril in thailand (who was with a group) indeed she was very rude, and arrogant.

i was with a english mate and he was almost disgusted how rude she was, i mean yeah ok we sat accross from her, but we were only making general traverls chit chat.....

anyways i saw the film on youtube and it seems to me that they are more like the current geneartion of the affictions vietman veterans experienced after retuning......

i'm certainly no expert on this subject but from where i see it, it seems some what likely

and with them pissing of the locals about the money issues, mean i would be surprised if the locals were putting in some of the Kratom notorious for leaving people lost in somewhere inbetween........

sometime for years lost, not knowing who they are or where they are..

it may not be Kratom, i cant remember what its called, but there is somthing over there in india that can fuck you up...

anyone remember?

Quotes from the talmud (book of Jewish law).

Moed kattan 17a. - "If a jew is tempted to do evil he should go to a city where he is not known and do the evil there."

Baba kamma 37b. - "The Gentiles are outside of the protection of the law and god has exposed their money to israel."

Baba kamma 113a. - "Jews may use lies (subterfuges) to circumvent a gentile."

Edited by baphomet

And to think i called you "Adolf"..... :P

One can imagine if white Anglo Saxons had a book of "law" with content like that aimed at Jews what the reaction would be though..... :unsure:

You aint heard nothin yet! (And to think some Supreme Court Judges in the US claim that this is the book they live by.)

Sanhedrin 57a . A Jew need not pay a gentile ("Cuthean") the wages owed him for work.

Sanhedrin 57a . When a Jew murders a gentile, there will be no death penalty. What a Jew steals from a gentile he may keep.

Erubin 21b. Hitting a Jew is the same as hitting God

Sanhedrin 58b. If a heathen (gentile) hits a Jew, the gentile must be killed.

Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: "Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave."

Yebamoth 98a. All gentile children are animals.

Abodah Zarah 36b. Gentile girls are in a state of niddah (filth) from birth.

Abodah Zarah 22a-22b . Gentiles prefer sex with cows. (no I did not make that one up!)

You call me Adolf and I'll call you Goy.

For those who missed it, or don't have a TV, or arrrr just unscrupulous pirates, there's torrents and rapidshare etc of this around called Flipping Out - Israel's Drug Generation.

it may not be Kratom, i cant remember what its called, but there is something over there in india that can fuck you up...

anyone remember?

I have heard that crushed datura seeds are added to the hash and that unwary travellers accepting a chillum can wander around fcuked up for days, and get robbed into the bargain.

I have heard that crushed datura seeds are added to the hash and that unwary travellers accepting a chillum can wander around fcuked up for days, and get robbed into the bargain.

yep. it's the herbal date rape drug.

it may not be Kratom, i cant remember what its called, but there is somthing over there in india that can fuck you up...

anyone remember?

Bhang/pot/hashish/whatever. When I was there, I saw what looked to be HBWR growing inland (Hampi, Karnataka) and Daturas of some type growing coastally (Varkala, Kerala). Collected some samples, but didn't 'sample'. Can anyone confirm (photos below!)

gallery_335_211_236524.jpg

gallery_335_211_61262.jpg

gallery_335_211_39918.jpg

Edited by macro

Hey guys, I missed out on this the other day so I googled it:

Flipping out 1 of 6

Flipping out 2 of 6

Flipping out 3 of 6

Flipping out 4 of 6

Flipping out 5 of 6

Flipping out 6 of 6

It sounded interesting, looks go so far.

Gen

*Edit: Put in a little more effort*

Edited by Genesis

This thread and others like it on this forum make me sad. I keep deluding myself into thinking that psychonauts are open minded dudes.

ah well I guess it's just the same CYCLE repeating.

I can't see anything derogatory in this thread?? I think its healthy to examine cross cultural social trends. Anthropology and ethnobotany, hand in hand??

It allows us the opportunity to examine paradigms and make shifts where relevant :rolleyes:

You aint heard nothin yet! (And to think some Supreme Court Judges in the US claim that this is the book they live by.)

Sanhedrin 57a . A Jew need not pay a gentile ("Cuthean") the wages owed him for work.

Sanhedrin 57a . When a Jew murders a gentile, there will be no death penalty. What a Jew steals from a gentile he may keep.

Erubin 21b. Hitting a Jew is the same as hitting God

Sanhedrin 58b. If a heathen (gentile) hits a Jew, the gentile must be killed.

Menahoth 43b-44a. A Jewish man is obligated to say the following prayer every day: "Thank you God for not making me a gentile, a woman or a slave."

Yebamoth 98a. All gentile children are animals.

Abodah Zarah 36b. Gentile girls are in a state of niddah (filth) from birth.

Abodah Zarah 22a-22b . Gentiles prefer sex with cows. (no I did not make that one up!)

I know lots of Jews and at least half of them don't follow to these laws.