The Corroboree
peyote man

Hoyts brand poppy seeds...

Hey all.

Does anyone know if the poppy seeds made by "hoyts" are worth buying if a FOAF was to make a tea? They are in a red plastic pack and are the dark coloured seeds.

Quite cheap...

You can give it a go, but I think they're pretty well washed

What i've found is that any commercial product (commercial packaging, company name etc..) tends to be pretty clean. It's the big boxes you can scoop out of at turkish and other middle eastern grocers that are dirty enough to use

i don't know about making a tea, but i chucked a handful at a pot once and heaps of them germinated, they died of course when i didn't water them, but they certainly make plants if you wanted.

But do the plants have a decent profile or are they the ones I hear are bred to be really undesirable.

Peace

in most likelihood no, every batch varies greatly, your need to find a reliable source which usually sell in bulk

A foaf has had some good experiences with the hoyts poppy seeds. He told me he started with a 300g wash prepared in the usual manner but that wasn't much to write home about, noticeable effects starting with a light rush flowing into subtle sedation and general feelings of well being lasting about 4 hours. My foaf is under 70kg and had basically no opiate tolerance leading up to this. Upping the dose to 400-500g resulted in more noticeable rush that faded quickly into heavier sedation, a difficult to remove smile and waves of euphoria washing over him lasting about 6 hours with some very mild effects still noticeable the next day. He has found some variability in batches and recommends getting a large amount of the seeds, mixing together and starting with a small dose from the standardised batch to test potency. Also best to wait at least a few weeks between doses or you will quickly build a tolerance and risk addiction.

But do the plants have a decent profile or are they the ones I hear are bred to be really undesirable.

Peace

I assume by undesirable you mean the high thebaine/low morphine strains that are cultivated for synthesising other opiates. From what I've read, and please correct me if I'm wrong, all seeds offered for culinary use are not the high thebaine strains (due to health concerns) and by my reckoning should therefore have a decent amount of morphine and codeine in them.

Peace

i don't know... but i've heard a decent argument that they wouldn't just sell the seeds of their special pharma strain in the supermarket, which makes sense to me

Hey all.

Does anyone know if the poppy seeds made by "hoyts" are worth buying if a FOAF was to make a tea? They are in a red plastic pack and are the dark coloured seeds.

Quite cheap...

Just recently someone made a tea with these. Not sure about the colour of the pack but they were Hoyts 100g packs. 3 packs were used(300g's). Prepared for about an hour with about 3/4 of a litre of water then consumed slowly. he got a good milky white/slightly brown drink from the seeds. This was his first poppy seed wash so can't compare to anything else. Very mild opiate effect but it was consumed slowly. like half the liquid then the rest about 1 1/2 hours later. He was worried because of the chance of easy OD because you can't tell how much residue is on the seeds, i.e Hard to dose, and also because it takes over an hour for the effects so it's hard to dose for that reason also. Probably a bit of a sketchy way to get high. For e.g, sometimes 200g's is heaps. sometimes 700g's is light! You want to drink it in one go to get a proper dose but you don't know how much to drink because you have no idea how strong it is. :wacko:

You can give it a go, but I think they're pretty well washed

What i've found is that any commercial product (commercial packaging, company name etc..) tends to be pretty clean. It's the big boxes you can scoop out of at turkish and other middle eastern grocers that are dirty enough to use

I was thinking this too but then I thought that with the quantity of seed being used, plus the fact that the seeds are usually imported from countries that can be using lots of gnarly chemicals, the mixture could end up with a high dose of chemicals/pesticide etc. It probably will have a good amount of Residue though. But again, IMO a sketchy way to get high.

in most likelihood no, every batch varies greatly, your need to find a reliable source which usually sell in bulk

Whats this in reply too?

The nasty chemical residues also worried me a bit even with the ozzy seeds tho being inside the capsule would help protect the seeds (I hope)

The two ozzy strains prodcued by GSK which are said to be 'undesirable' by some norman (no morphine) and the high thebaine strain, these were developed with A LOT of research and are patented, their opposition opiate producers wouldnt even have a chance to get their hands on seeds, no chance they'd be on supermarket shelves.

saying that I dont doubt some 'product of Australia' seeds have a higher amount of other alkaloids, including thebaine and anyway I dont think thebaine is as bad as its made out to :drool2:

Vagdevi: in reply to the hoyts brand the are the most unreliable source IME

i don't know... but i've heard a decent argument that they wouldn't just sell the seeds of their special pharma strain in the supermarket, which makes sense to me

Yeh I agree that they wouldnt sell the highest grade pharm seeds to the public, but there must be more than just those and the low morphine strains. I mean there must be good strength non pharma strains around.

Peace

Yeh I agree that they wouldnt sell the highest grade pharm seeds to the public, but there must be more than just those and the low morphine strains. I mean there must be good strength non pharma strains around.

Peace

do it yourself its called selective breeding (where legal)

The nasty chemical residues also worried me a bit even with the ozzy seeds tho being inside the capsule would help protect the seeds (I hope)

i'd assume it would. & they are being sold as a food product so i'd imagine they couldn't be too bad. couldn't be any worse than your average supermarket fruit & veg etc

i've bought some hoyts seeds that were really black & clumped together. they were excellent.

i'd assume it would. & they are being sold as a food product so i'd imagine they couldn't be too bad. couldn't be any worse than your average supermarket fruit & veg etc

Yeah but there not designed to be washed and drunk in a concentrated solution. Like if you were to wash a shit load of conventional fruit and veg and drink it in a solution i'd say youd be getting alot of chemis in the solution.

Don't have time to read all the replies right now, but I just thought I'd mention my experience. Hoyts is the only brand I ever used as a tea. They worked really well. I can't remember how much it was, but I think it was about 300g...whatever was recommended on most websites or whatever. I got, however, severe stomach pains. I tried them again as a test and got severe pains again. I think it was just a personal reaction, but maybe it wouldn't have happened with a different brand...I wasn't game to try again, it was pretty nasty. It was sort of like a cramp in my diaphragm and sort of made it hard to breath.

Yeah but there not designed to be washed and drunk in a concentrated solution. Like if you were to wash a shit load of conventional fruit and veg and drink it in a solution i'd say youd be getting alot of chemis in the solution.

good point, but i'd imagine most pesticide spraying would be done when the pods are still unripe with the seeds enclosed inside them? i guess absorption may be a problem & perhaps they may pick up residues at some time during processing though, not sure.

but in regards to the point you made about washing fruit & veg, it'd be more like washing a whole load of peeled bananas, with the pesticide remaining on the skin.