The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Being

Acacia obtusifolia

Hello peoples,

Just wondering if anyone has some top tips on growing Acacia obtusifolia. We've got them to seedling stage but now they don't seem too happy and many are dying. They're getting water when needed and not being left to dry out, they're also getting plenty of sunshine - but bare in mind we are in England, and although the weather's been lovely lately (mid summer over here) perhaps they're not getting enough? Any help much appreciated! :)

Well I don't really know a lot aabout acacias but I lived once in place where acacias, all sorts, grew wild everywhere, people called them weeds..

that place was most of the time VERY hot and dry...

I would let them dry out a little more between waterings. Some plants are extremely sensitive to over watering. Are you ferting them and how much?

Stoney

you may need some nitrogen fixing bacteria,can you get soil from about an inch or two under a growing acacia?if so,put a couple handfulls in a watering can,maybe with some seaweed extract,add water.then use this to water your plants.

t s t .

Thanks for all suggestions...my instinct is that either i've overwatered...or they really need some special friendly rhizobium...i'll look around for a suitable donor...

but if i can't find one...is there anywhere that sells rhizobium?

Being == Piers?

Surely Being was the cute girl & Piers was the

English chap with the strange Mickey Mouse recording

ears?

Maybe Being is Pier's girlfriend?

yep,

soils probably retaining water for to long,quick draining soil and watering after a day or so of being dry seems to keep em happy.

as for rhizobium,i hav'nt noticed a need for it,but then again i dont have an obtuse that has had it introduced to the soil to compare it to.

the only genus i've had prob with is anadenathera,in regards to rhizobium.

darn things wont grow for me.

keep up the battle though,obtusifolia's are beatiful,and well worth the stress and effort.

good luck.

[ 13. July 2003, 13:29: Message edited by: spunwhirllin ]

Yes we are two separate people! Sorry for the confusion. Lots has happened since Ethnobotanica '02! I'm in England growing Acacias with Piers... Did end up doing a bit of WWOOFing before leaving though! How's life treating you somnif, gomaos? And thank you very much everyone for the advice. I think we must have used the wrong kind of soil to begin with, this stuff doesn't drain too easily. If we can get some rhizobium i'd like to try it out. One of them's really going for it though, looking healthy, so we'll see :)

Guest electro

I have 6 or so in crappy non draining soil (clay and building garbage) - they get watered once a week in summer (25-38c)(like my cactus really), unless it's really hot{38c+) then i might give it more. They get watered once every two to three weeks in winter (25c and below).

apart from that i leave them and they grow....

edit

Edited by Rev

rev, thankyou!, just what i was after.

I knew they needed NFB, but didn't know a source of it.

Hopefully some acacias and the Anadenanthera c. will grow this summer, many thanks