The Corroboree
Genesis

Anime and Anime goodness

Anyone seen The Machine Girl? Not really Anime as it has real actors, but is filmed in anime style.

If you've seen it you'll know what I mean.

Not a bad flick.

bump :P here's some goodin's seen of late

Ergo Proxy

Really enjoyed the story trippy concepts

The story begins in a futuristic domed city called Romdo, built to protect its citizens after a global ecological disaster. In this utopia, humans and AutoReivs (androids) coexist peacefully under a total management system. A series of murders committed by robots and AutoReivs infected with the Cogito virus (which causes them to become self-aware) begins to threaten the delicate balance of Romdo's social order. Behind the scenes, the government has been conducting secret experiments on a mysterious humanoid lifeform called a "Proxy". The Proxy beings (described as God-like and Immortal) are believed to hold the key to the survival of mankind.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy

This is probably one of my Favs based upon the historical short story Suruga-jou Gozen Jiai from one of Japan's most prolific authors, Nanjo Norio. Has a lot of depth and a good story i thought, althought it is pritty dam brutal no doubt a reflection of those times. animation and music is great and compliments the whole. Doesnt really have an ending lol but the manga is still on-going so maybe there might be more.

The story begins in 1629 Shizuoka during Tokugawa Tadanaga's rule. The daimyo staged a tournament where the participants fought with real steel Japanese swords rather than bokken ("wooden sword"), against his vassals' strong objection. The story revolves around the first match between the one-armed swordsman Fujiki Gennosuke and the blind samurai Irako Seigen and deals with the circumstances that led the two to participate in Tokugawa's tournament.

Black Lagoon

Girls, Guns and explosions :uzi: highly recommended series, who likes pirates? heh heh

The story follows a team of pirates/mercenaries known as Lagoon Company, who smuggle goods in and around the seas of Southeast Asia in the early 1990s.[4] Their base of operations is located in the fictional city of Roanapur in Thailand, and they transport goods in the 80-foot (24 m) Elco-type PT boat Black Lagoon. When on land, they move around and conduct business using Benny's 1968 Plymouth Road Runner, although in episode 24 he's seen driving a 1966-67 Pontiac GTO after his Roadrunner is blown up in episode 17. Lagoon Company does business with various clients, but has a particularly friendly relationship with the Russian crime syndicate Hotel Moscow. The team takes on a variety of missions—which may involve violent firefights, hand-to-hand combat, and nautical battles—in various Southeast Asian locations and when not doing much, the members of the Lagoon Company spend much of their down time at The Yellow Flag, a bar in Roanapur.

Hellsing

Pritty Funky Occultish/Vampire anime based on a manga. There's a TV series of this which isn't too bad but more noteworthy are the OVA's which i found to be of a higher production and animation quality overall and also they are more true to the original story. oh and a catholic warrior sif not laugh hahaha :lol:

Hellsing is named after and centered around the Holy Order of Protestant Knights, originally led by Abraham Van Helsing. The mission of Hellsing is to protect Queen and Country from the undead and other supernatural forces of evil. This organization is currently led by Sir Integra Fairbrook Wingates Hellsing, who inherited the leadership of Hellsing as a child after the death of her father. She is protected by the faithful Hellsing family butler and former Hellsing "trashman," Walter C. Dornez, and Alucard, the original and most powerful vampire that swore loyalty to the Hellsing family after being defeated by Van Helsing one hundred years before the story takes place. These formidable guardians are joined early on in the storyline by former police officer Seras Victoria, whom Alucard turned into a vampire.

As the scale and frequency of incidents involving the undead escalate in England and all around the world, Sir Integra discovers that the remnants of a Nazi group called Millennium still exist and are intent on reviving the Third Reich by creating a battalion of vampires. Millennium, Hellsing, and the Vatican Chapter XIII Iscariot clash in an apocalyptic three-sided war in London, and Millennium reveals its true objective: to destroy the vampire Alucard, ending a feud begun during World War II.

Sword of the Stranger

Quite a rad movie! animation is absolutely kick ass as with the music and sound effects in general. This was produced by Bones and actually there first original production, they have been around for a while worked on things like darker then black and Full metal alchemist etc. the sword fights are pritty epic and the Ming characters also use different sorts of pain relief plants/drugs which are mentioned briefly.. TCM?

The film follows a swordsman with no name and a golden-haired assassin as circumstances draw them towards a mysterious young boy.

Hunted by the Ming from China, young Kotaro and his dog meet a nameless samurai ("Nanashi") who is haunted by memories of his past which have led him to avoid drawing his sword ever again. Among the Ming is a fearsome Western fighter named Luo-Lang, whose only desire is to find a worthy opponent. When both groups clash with a Sengoku-era feudal lord, a proud general, and monks torn between faith and survival, the reason behind the Ming's pursuit tests the bond between Kotaro and Nanashi.

Been a few Ghost in a shell OVA/movies released too Solid State Society, The Laughing Man, and Individual Eleven. Definitely worth checking out laughing man & individual Eleven are based on SAC - Stand alone complex series being sort like an epic rehash although IE does deviate in some aspects to highlight character relationships etc more.

Solid State society is set Two years after SAC 2ND GIG after the Major has left section 9 and involves several intertwining plots which i wont spoil :P

Dont forget to add anymore funky anime worth watching amigos

I second Black Lagoon and Ghost in the Shell.. of the latter movie #2 is especially farking awesome.

Mushishi is a great series you have to be really open and alert to fully appreciate. Its not especially happy but very philosophical, especially on psychedelics. Theres a good live action movie thats a composition of bits of numerous mushishi episodes.

Kino no Tabi is a sometimes under-appreciated series that is very philosophically open and examines one facet of human culture per episode as Kino journeys to a different fictional country per episode. Great on psychedelics if you can follow it lol, and if you can handle a little bit of violent content. I recommend watching movie 1 before the series (theres 2 movies and 1 bonus ep)

I'm half way through Wolfs Rain, its pretty cool so far.. about wolves in future russia that disguise themselves as humans to survive and search for paradise.

Did anyone say Claymore? Claymore :P Human deamon hybrid babes fight demons.

Death Note is good if you like strategy and mass murder lol, theres 3 movies IIRC

Lucky Star is a japanese schoolgirl slice-of-life series similar to azumanga daioh but a bit more modern, lots of otaku references, and a bit pervy :wink: if you liked azumanga daioh you'll like it, theres an english version.

Origin: Spirits of the past isnt a series, just a movie but its pretty trippy. A botched genetic engineering experiment on the moon produced sentient forest and the forest fought its way out of the moon base and got to earth and took over earth and.... I wont spoil it :P Except to say I fucking love the tree girls lol, theres an english version.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky is another good movie, old school anime.

Nausicaa: Valley Of The Wind is a awesome old school futuristic movie where poison forests have taken over the world and humans have to fight the forest and each other for survival.

Paprika is a tripped out mind bendy type movie where a form of mind control got out of hand, theres an english version.

That should keep you busy for a few days YT :wink:

Oh and hey, if your running short on anime ideas you can go to anime-planet and look up ones you like and at the bottom it lists recommendations for similar ones including peoples explanation of why they recommended it. Thats how I found my last half dozen :)

:worship: good stuff Auxin!

Definitely got Mushishi & Kino no Tabi on the back list to watch.

Was wondering what Wolfs Rain and Claymore were like :unsure:

Gotta check out Code Geass hear thats supposed to be alright, started watching Peacemaker supposed to be based on historical fact about the Shinsengumi but the main protaganist is an annoying kid which is kinda off putting :P

Wolfs Rain and Claymore are both pretty good, not on my all time epic best ever list but both have plots that were clearly thought about a little and not just carbon copies of any other anime I know of and both try to examine the human condition in their own way which is a trait I really like if you havent noticed. Loads of blood in claymore but that doesnt seem to be a negative for you. :P And it is at least relevant to the plot which made it ok for me.

I usually tend to prefer anime with minimal or no violence that examines philosophy in a very clear but not openly stated way. You'll see what I mean after a few mushishi or kino eps. Pretend for a minute that I'm a philosophical 12 year old japanese schoolgirl on mescaline.. any anime you'd recommend? lol

FUCK this is an old post, lol. Recently watched Poyo the new Miyazaki film. Very very cool. Classic Miya

Kinda like spirited away, Lupita, and Howles but he has ditched his flying fetish and changed it to boats and fish fetish. He does it REALLY fucking well

Gen

Thanks, Ponyo sounds good.. and its been eng dubbed w00t!

Good recommendations Auxin and i did notice your inclination towards philosophical stuff :wink: most of the ones ive seen have already been mentioned, most notably the studio gibli stuff. Well the blood/violence can be a negative for me given the context of the story. for example "Gantz" although within the context of the story it is justified still quite fullon and unnecessary i thought to get across a point about human nature, i had trouble watching it and ultimately found it to be pointless.

used to spend my days after school drawing(attempting too)practicing tracing and eventually drawing freehand dragonball z and Neon Genesis characters :lol: What really gets me off about the action stuff is the attention to detail within the animation itself the quality and how technical and time consuming something like that is to create even with CGI what it is today most notable animators still opt for the hand drawn cells for the most part.

Two more I enjoyed..

For girls-with-guns (and buns, inside joke) fans: (violent)

Canaan

In the present day, terrorism is on the rise and the Ua Virus – a biological agent with a 100% kill rate – has been unleashed into the populace. In Shanghai, Canaan is a near-unstoppable soldier who roams the streets, always in the path of a bullet. She is a Synesthetist – a person able to use all five senses at once – who harbors a burning desire for revenge and has a past shrouded in mystery. While the Ua Virus infects more people in the city, others cross paths with Canaan including Minoru, a freelance journalist; Maria, Canaan’s close friend who was infected with the Ua Virus and lost her memory of the incident; and The Snakes, a shady and violent group with mysterious motives. Danger lies at every turn for Canaan and ultimately the rest of mankind…

For japanese-schoolgirls-in-space-try-to-save-the-world fans: (non-violent)

Stellvia of the Universe

It is the year 2356 AD, 189 years after a shockwave from a distant supernova decimated the Earth. Since that fateful day, humanity has begun training for a final mission to protect the planet from the inevitable oncoming 2nd shockwave - a mission whose failure means the annihilation of mankind. For Katase and her friends, their training at the foundation Stellvia is just the beginning of an adventure that could lead to saving the world, or seeing its end...

i've been watching Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd GIG over at

http://www.animefreak.tv/watch/ghost-shell-sac-2nd-gig-english-dubbed-online-free

excellent stuff.

They also have Hellsing & Ergo Proxy which are good, & i just started watching Mushishi which is really beautifully drawn & has an interesting story line, but i'm abit put off by the subtitles which seem to miss chunks ov dialogue, are out ov synch & sometimes flash on the screen for like a tenth ov a second, so that you only get a subliminal impression ov what's being said...

Edited by nabraxas

have you tried the second eng sub track? the usual mkv set of mushishi has two different english sub tracks

have you tried the second eng sub track?

sorry, but i'm not exactly sure what you mean...i've looked at some other websites, but the only one i've found streaming mushishi was the one i linked to. i'm not really keen on downloading the whole series.

i didn't notice an option for a second eng sub track.

Where should i be looking?

Ah, it didnt click for me that you were streaming mushishi too lol.. your right, just seconds in to that stream text was already missing :blink: (But yeah, I was referring to the mkv format series download.)

Other than that, that does look like a pretty good site for streaming anime, I might use it to preview new series if I remember (I'm spoiled by broadband limited to 2048 GB of downloads per month lol)

Wow other people that like anime I didn't know you existed lol. My all time favourites are in no particular order

Speedgrapher - what an absolute fucking masterpiece of a series

Ghost in the shell - Haven't seen the 2nd movie yet but love this one

Ergo Proxy - Again in my opinion another real great piece of work

Gantz - Very violent but still ejnoyed it alot

Neon Genesis: Evangelion - Learned to like the original ending eventually but still prefer the End of Evangelion movie for it's ending although the last line in it by Asuka is a somewhat controversial translation, read the wiki page and you'll get an idea.

Also really enjoyed Akira, Ghost in the shell S.A.C both the series and it's movie solid state security, ikki tousen and maharomatic <- Cos a bit of fan service never hurt anyone hehe. There's alot more i'd list but i have too many titels to remember these days, guess that happens when your cousin owns an anime shop and ya get a discount haha.

Oh I can't believe I forgot this one, DESERT PUNK the absolute funniest anime I have ever seen it's an absolute crack up and perfect for when ya just wanna sit, chill and have a good fucking laugh.

Edited by ergoamide

About 12 or so episodes into claymore and it's pretty enjoyable, funny how they repeat themselves so often, often in the very next sentence, but it makes it what it is. I also like the merry christmas bit at the start of each episode :lol:

Finally got the 3 episodes of gunsmith cats after only seeing them years back on TV. It's not as good as i remember, but still entertaning. it's funny the perversion of the writers, breast popping out of ripped shirts when appropriate lol, such a classic part of those styles.

Fell asleep during Princess Mononoke so need to watch it properly, but it didn't grab me as much as miyazakis other work, but probably hard comparing it to his newer work which i am more familiar with and limited in viewing.

Ditto with akira, fell asleep multiple viewings, but one i saw years ago and enjoyed, bit more realistic urban violence from what a remember, makes a change from the more fantastical claymore etc.

after that i'll have to check out the above recommendations, never been a huge fan, but enjoy a good show to watch when the time is right and it's growing on me more these days.

Edited by gerbil

After watching half the series I second the vote for Desert Punk. I'm not big on tits but they do a fair job on asses too ;) And its fuckin' funny.

I finally found out Mushishi and Kino no Tabi both have Eng Dub versions that are oddly hard to find.. but there out there in the Megaupload/Rapidshare universe. I watched a ep of both and mushishi is a good dub, kino is acceptable- they could have got a better (at least male) voice actor for Hermes and the voice for kino was so feminine they did away with the very purposeful gender ambiguity, but other than that its good.

Its not anime but I'm finally watching the scifi series Andromeda, its good.. dont know how I missed it til now.

Just finished Kiba, good 50 ep series. Shamanic-esque mystical spirit helper battles along with good plot.

Have you ever been sick and tired of the world we live in? So much, that you've tried any means possible to escape it? Zed shares the same feelings as we all do. In the smog ridden, and sunless world of Calm, people manage to scrape by on the bare minimum. Fed up with living in this hellhole, Zed looks for an outlet to another world. Beating down and smashing every door in his sight, he hopes that if he believes strong enough, his gateway will open -- open to a place beyond his imagination, and where his life will have meaning. After finally being transported to another world full of nature and endless battles, Zed soon comes to realize that his life of purpose has just begun.
[1]

After watching half the series I second the vote for Desert Punk. I'm not big on tits but they do a fair job on asses too ;) And its fuckin' funny.

Yes they do lol. the second half gets a bit darker and more serious but still funny as hell. They just do the sexual frustration of a hormonal 17 yr old boy so well.

Shakugan No Shana

Violence: yes ..Shamanic sorta theme: yes ...Melon Bread: hell yes

First season is engdubbed, second season I havent seen yet, only engsubbed it seems

Sakai Yuuiji thought he was a normal high school student, until one fateful day when time stopped. Watching in horror, he witnesses a monster devouring the "frozen" people around him; but luckily for Yuuiji, he is saved by a sword-wielding red-headed girl that calls herself a "Flame Haze". The girl informs him that he has been dead for some time now and that his current self is merely a replacement for the human that he used be while alive. He is, she says, merely a torch whose life will come to an end when the blue flame in his chest ceases to burn. After this rude awakening, Yuuiji realizes that he is able to see the flames of life in other "torches"; and after discovering that a friend of his is also a torch -- and her life is burning out faster than his – he gains the courage to live out the rest of his life with meaning. Will Yuuji be able to find his place in the world before he ceases to exist?

Galaxy Express 999

After watching Kinos Journey I had to get this as it is a major inspiration for Kino.

Like Kino most episodes have some degree of conflict or violence, and like Kino thats not the point. Each ep examines the human condition through encounters with worlds unique in some blatant and often strange way. They travel to the planets on a flying steam locomotive.. it seemed odd at first but it saves them from having to distract the viewer with explanations of their idea of future technology :lol: Theres various spin-offs and movies.

Ever heard of a flying train? Tetsuro, living on a dismal earth, wants to ride it to Andromeda so he can get a mechanical body that will enable him to live forever. With the help of the mysterious woman, Maetel, Tetsuro braves many adventures on his way to Andromeda, heading towards a showdown with Count Mecha, an evil tyrant that brutally murdered his mother for sport. Will Tetsuro have the inner strength to face this monster on his own turf?

FernGully: The Last Rainforest

Old school western anime movie. Was nice watching it with my 5HT-2A receptors tweaked a bit :wink:

Theres also a sequel which I plan to watch next time I have the little forest spirits in me.

Ferngully, a spectacular rainforest where a bat named batty, whose radar has gone haywire, joins together with Crysta, Pips and the Beetle Boys to save their world from the evil Hexxus. Ignoring the warnings of her friends, Crysta, the curious tree fairy, explores the world beyond Ferngully. She discovers Zak, a human who is helping to demolish the rainforest. Once Zak sees the beauty and magic of Ferngully, he vows to save it. But it may be too late. The diabolical Hexxus is on the loose and is intent on destroying all of Ferngully.

Kiki's Delivery Service

Old school anime movie. Engdub available.

Violence: no, Suspense: some, Talking cat: hell yeah

Studio Ghibli

Kiki, a young witch-in-training, has reached the age of 13. According to tradition, all witches of that age must leave home for one year, so that they can learn how to live on their own. Kiki, along with her talking cat Gigi, fly away to live in the seaside town of Korico. After starting her own delivery service (using her broom as the delivery vehicle), Kiki must learn how to deal with her new life, especially after she loses the power to fly.

HELLSING OVA

http://www.kumby.com/hellsing-ova-1/

You really must see the Hellsing OVA series, make sure u watch it in its dvd quality in full glory!

The graphics in the OVA are just stunning!! Really a MUST see!!

Letter Bee (Tegami Bachi)

In Amberground, the land of eternal twilight, Letter Bees and their dingos – creatures trained to protect them – deliver mail to the general populace. However, unlike normal mail carriers, their job is perilous as they must traverse the country while fighting off the giant armored insects known as Gaichuu. One day, a Letter Bee named Gauche collects his latest delivery: a young boy named Lag Seeing, whose mother was taken under mysterious circumstances to the capital of Akatsuki. As the pair travels together, they strike up a friendship, but when they finally reach their destination Lag and Gauche part ways. Now, several years later, Lag is about to take the exam to become a Letter Bee himself so that he can meet with Gauche again and find out what really happened to his mother all those years ago. But before any of that, he must find himself a dingo...

I just finished this series, its really awesome. Theres fighting but its not a fight anime, more intellectual. Great animation too. Seems a second series is due to air this year.

Soul Eater

In a bizarre fantasy world, students known as meisters are trained at the illustrious Shinigami Weapon Meister University; but the tools they wield are no ordinary weapons! Each meister is paired with a human-like being who can transform into a weapon at will; and after defeating a pre-kishin - a human whose soul has darkened - the weapon eats the soul within it. A meister's ultimate goal is to collect ninety-nine pre-kishin souls and one of a witch so that his or her partner will become an all-powerful Death Scythe. Maka and her partner Soul Eater; Assassin Black Star and his partner Demon Blade Tsubaki; and Shinigami's son Death the Kid and his partners the Demon Twin Pistol Thompson Sisters each vie for their ultimate goal, but plenty of challenges and adventures lie in their way!

I just started this one but it already looks pretty funny. Sort of reminds me of Desert Punk but in a halloween sort of way. It comes in Eng Dub.

'Seirei no Moribito' is a great feudal japan fantasy anime

In the feudal kingdom of Yogo, a dark secret is threatening its proud imperial family, and the Emperor intends to destroy it before it leaks out. Unfortunately this dark secret resides within his son, the young and innocent Second Prince Chagum. Enter Balsa, a wandering warrior who has sworn to save eight lives in penance for those she has taken during her violent career. Upon accepting her role as protector to Chagum, her eighth and final job, the two begin a perilous journey that tests not only their physical endurance and mental resolve, but also the tentative relationship they build along the way. Will Balsa fulfill her penance and protect Chagum as he seeks to understand the nature of his secret? Or will the Emperor's relentless assassins and other powerful enemies get them first?

Perverts (you know who you are) should like 'Amaenaide yo!!' and 'Amaenaide yo!! Katsu!!'. Theres an EngDub

Ikko is a Buddhist monk in training who works at his grandmother’s temple with six nuns -- six very attractive nuns. Though lazy, weak and unmotivated to learn the skills of a monk, amazingly strong holy powers sleep inside of Ikko that are triggered only by the awakening of his, shall we say, lust for worldly delights. A vengeful spirit is haunting your home? A flash of pantsu, and Ikko's your man. But therein lies danger; what really is the secret behind his mysterious powers? And how many hits to the head from angry, semi-naked nuns can a man take?